Post a reply

Re: Biggest wasted talent

Postby mick745

Two names spring to mind Joe O'Boye and Mark Johnston-Allen.

Of the current generation Jamie Jones, Jack Lisowski and Michael White haven't lived up to their billing.

Jury is still out on Zhao Xintong and Luca Brecel.

Postby Cheshire Cat

If we're talking young players, Lisowski springs to mind. He was hyped to heck and back and has fallen well short.

Overall, personally, Matthew Stevens. Fantastic player in my eyes that really should have won a lot more.

Postby TheSaviour

Stevens is weird but still quite good choice. Because he also has that bottle and a good nerve-control. There could be named at least 30 current pro-players with an ability to a world beaters yet absolutely no results. Basically all those players if anything they really frustrates me. It is always at that point of the match where their shot choices starts to go astray. They will go for the most outrageous shots that they shouldn’t be going for and that is the only reason they don´t have success. I am talking about the sizeable breaks. Because only a one player can win a tournament, and only a few to have a consistent success. If thinking about the ranking points. But they are wasting their talent just otherwise. Not performing as well as they well could, or making the big breaks consistently. So I don´t think the overall standard have quite sky-rocketed as some people seems to be thinking. For example Peter Ebdon (a good player) won Jack Lisowski 10-9 without making a single century. Well Peter has always been like that, but obviously if some wasted talent would make century or a two to take a 6-2 lead, and then starting to play rubbish and losing it to some good player; it wouldn´t be any good would it. And it happens time after time. Perhaps weighting all the pros and cons before going for those "obvious" shots would help. If you could get them down to my club for 12 months weighting those pros and cons I think all those players COULD be a tournament winners. They know that, and they know that, and they even know that, but they don´t know THAT.. Obviously they don´t mean to play so poorly as the matches progresses. It is just problem that they don´t know all the things that for example people like Mark Allen or Judd Trump do know.

Postby SnookerEd25

Another similar to Joe O'Boye was 'giro' Jon Wright, touted in some quarters as the new Jimmy White when he turned pro' in the mid-80s; won 4 qualifying matches to dbut at the Crucible in his first season (lost to Alex Higgins 6-10), but then never made it again. His highest ranking was 53rd, and best ranking finishes twice getting to the L32 of the Mercantile Credit Classic (1987 & 89). His career ended in ignimony when he was found guilty of 'conduct unbecoming of a professional sportsman' during (or after) a 3-5 defeat to Allison Fisher in qualifying for the 1993 Dubai Classic and suspended for the rest of the season. He dropped off the tour thereafter and never returned.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:What did he do that was unbecoming?

He nicked a quote from a Mark Williams interview and passed it off as his own on a snooker forum! Scandalous.

What?

Postby davisfan

He will have been a sexist hammer during the match.

Back on topic, Kirk Stevens.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

He nicked a quote from a Mark Williams interview and passed it off as his own on a snooker forum! Scandalous.

What?

I was referring to the Saviour's post above.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

What?

I was referring to the Saviour's post above.

Didn't Read. LOL.

Postby kolompar

SnookerEd25 wrote:Another similar to Joe O'Boye was 'giro' Jon Wright, touted in some quarters as the new Jimmy White when he turned pro' in the mid-80s; won 4 qualifying matches to dbut at the Crucible in his first season (lost to Alex Higgins 6-10), but then never made it again. His highest ranking was 53rd, and best ranking finishes twice getting to the L32 of the Mercantile Credit Classic (1987 & 89). His career ended in ignimony when he was found guilty of 'conduct unbecoming of a professional sportsman' during (or after) a 3-5 defeat to Allison Fisher in qualifying for the 1993 Dubai Classic and suspended for the rest of the season. He dropped off the tour thereafter and never returned.

The good old days when they banned you if you lost to a woman.

Postby SnookerFan

kolompar wrote:The good old days when they banned you if you lost to a woman.

rofl rofl rofl

They should've added a "Loser Gets Back In The Kitchen" stipulation. <ok>