Post a reply

Race to the Crucible : Qualifying Round 2 (April 9th & 10th)

Postby Wildey

[Image Image Image
Wednesday 5th ~ Saturday 8th of April at Ponds Forge International Sports Centre, Sheffield

Round 2 and 64 players still in the hunt for 16 places at Crucible to play defending champion Mark Selby and others for the title.

A Few upsets in Round 1 saw Ricky Walden, Matthew Stevens and Robin Hull go home But twice Champion Mark Williams after a scare that saw him 7-5 down after leading 4-1 came safely through against Zhao Xintong to play Liam Highfield on Monday.

Who will be there for Judgement in Round 3 ?

DRAW

Selected 2nd Round Matches

Mark J Williams v Liam Highfield
Tom Ford v Chris Wakelin
Mathew Selt v Hossein Vafaei
Reanne Evans v Lee Walker
Nigel Bond v Stephen Maguire
Xiao Guodong v Sam Baird
Ben Woollaston v Ken Doherty
Dechawat Poomjaeng v Graeme Dott
Tian Pengfei v Fergal O'Brien
Rhys Clark v David Gilbert
Joe Perry v Akani Songsermsawad
Luca Brecel v Joe Swail
Dominic Dale v Daniel Wells
Ross Muir v Michael White
Michael Holt v Eden Sharav
Peter Ebdon v Jack Lisowski
Alan McManus v Rod Lawler
Jimmy Robertson v Oliver Lines
Yan Bingtao v Mark Davis
Scott Donaldson v Alexander Ursenbacher
Robbie Williams v Yu Delu
John Astley v Martin Gould

Players in Bold appeared at the Crucible in 2016

ORDER OF PLAY

Image]

Re: Race to the Crucible : Qualifying Round 2 (April 9th & 1

Postby SnookerFan

Typical.

Looking at Eurosport's listings for next week, they are only having one table televised when Ronnie is on.

BBC will have football results on interactive.

Round a friends, so won't be able to watch online.

Still, as long as we all get to pretend Ronnie is the only player that matters, that's what's important. :zzz:

Postby Muppet147

nice_shoes_ken wrote:Some nice looking matches this morning.

Interested to see how Bingtao & Songsermsawad get on against the experience of Mavis & Perry.

Yes, it could be fascinating. I think Bingtao needs to stay with Davis during the first session, let him know he is in a real match. Then, he can let his natural talent to the work in the second session. Would love to see him reach the Crucible but it's going to be tough.

Postby Vallomas

Perry stole the second frame from 0-54 down to take a 2-0 lead against Akani, while there are some interesting scores on the non televised tables.

Scott Donaldson 0-3 Alexander Ursenbacher
Martin O'Donnell 0-3 Hammad Miah
Zhou Yuelong 3-1 Ian Preece
Robbie Williams 1-2 Yu Delu
Michael Holt 1-1 Eden Sharav
Rhys Clarke 1-3 David Gilbert
John Astley 1-1 Martin Gould
Peter Ebdon 2-1 Jack Lisowski
Alfie Burden 1-1 Jamie Jones

Postby kolompar

Lou147 wrote:Question, should Bingtao get to the Crucible, would I be right in saying he'd be the youngest ever to do so?

2nd youngest ever. Around a month younger than Hendry was in 1986, but around a month older than Brecel in 2012.

Postby Lou147

Its possible we could have a few debuting nationalities aswell this year with the likes of Miah, Ursenbacher and Vafaei looking solid so far

Postby PLtheRef

Lou147 wrote:Question, should Bingtao get to the Crucible, would I be right in saying he'd be the youngest ever to do so?

Brecel was 17 years and a month (born March 1995)

I think Bingtao would be the first person born in the 2000s to qualify though

Postby Vallomas

Vafaei is in good form and was lucky to have one of the easiest draws on the 1st round (against Hatem Yassen, who beat 10-1). From one aspect his next two matches are also good, as he faces No 33 (Selt) and then possibly No 32 (Ford). Not any of the ex-top 16ers, but two difficult matches en route except for one. I believe that he can do it, though, and establish himself as a top 32 player during next season.

Postby SnookerFan

Vallomas wrote:Vafaei is in good form and was lucky to have one of the easiest draws on the 1st round (against Hatem Yassen, who beat 10-1). From one aspect his next two matches are also good, as he faces No 33 (Selt) and then possibly No 32 (Ford). Not any of the ex-top 16ers, but two difficult matches en route except for one. I believe that he can do it, though, and establish himself as a top 32 player during next season.

Then there'd be no Selby vs Selty rematch.