Post a reply

Bank of Beijing China Open Final !!!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Monday 27th of March ~ Sunday 2nd of April at Students Gymnasium, Beijing, China

Mark Williams will be playing for a 2 week break or a few days..

A Win will see him avoid Ponds forge Qualifying for the World Championship but Losing will mean a quick trip to Sheffield next week for 3 Best of 19 matches to get to the crucible.

Can Selby spoil his week and win his 4th ranking tournament of the season following wins at the Paul Hunter Classic, International Championship and The UK Championship ?

DRAW

Final

Mark J Williams v Mark Selby

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Williams leads 14-13
Main Tournaments Tied at 6-6
Finals Williams leads 2-1
Multi Session Matches Williams leads 4-1

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Bank of Beijing China Open Final !!!!

Postby Iranu

Hope I'm able to watch this tomorrow.

I'll be rooting for Williams partly because I want him to win another ranker (two ideally as that would put him on 20) and partly because it would feel really weird to not have him at the Crucible and if he has to qualify there's a good chance that will happen.

More than anything though I want it to be a high quality final. Maybe it's just me but it feels like they've been few and far between lately.

Postby TheRocket

finals 2:1 for MJW. Multi session matches 4:1. And that one win for Selby was very lucky also. We all remember that Shangai Masters Final 2011.

But just shows that MJW in his prime would have destroyed Selby even more and was a different class.

Postby eraserhead

Will the whole final be on eurosport player? I saw someone post in an earlier thread that eurosport aren't covering both sessions.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:finals 2:1 for MJW. Multi session matches 4:1. And that one win for Selby was very lucky also. We all remember that Shangai Masters Final 2011.

But just shows that MJW in his prime would have destroyed Selby even more and was a different class.

I agree, could easily have been Finals: MJW 3-0 Multi.session mathes MJW 5-0.

If he hadn't lost that heartbreaker in 2011 Shaghai, this would indeed be the case.

Can't wait for it, I think we'll get a high quality affair. Hope MJW finally wins another ranker even if it's his last ever.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:finals 2:1 for MJW. Multi session matches 4:1. And that one win for Selby was very lucky also. We all remember that Shangai Masters Final 2011.

I agree, could easily have been Finals: MJW 3-0 Multi.session mathes MJW 5-0.

If he hadn't lost that heartbreaker in 2011 Shaghai, this would indeed be the case.

Can't wait for it, I think we'll get a high quality affair. Hope MJW finally wins another ranker even if it's his last ever.

to be fair last time Williams beat Selby in proper events (ie not CL and PTC) was in German Masters final in 2011 at that time Selby had won 1 Ranker the Welsh Open and 2 Masters since then Selby has gone up a notch or 2 as a player

Postby Cheshire Cat

I mean if you want to be blunt, one is a player that is well past his peak and the other is the best player in the game right now by a country mile.

There really should only be one winner. I would love MJW to win, and I hope he does, but it's an extremely tough ask.

Postby Wildey

Cheshire Cat wrote:I mean if you want to be blunt, one is a player that is well past his peak and the other is the best player in the game right now by a country mile.

There really should only be one winner. I would love MJW to win, and I hope he does, but it's an extremely tough ask.

Players well past their best can still turn it occasionally....and seeing the likes Of Anthony Hamilton and Mark King winning tournaments well past their best and nowhere near as good as Williams is even today is inspiration.

Selby will win many more events because hes pretty consistent Williams might not so he will be determined to win tomorrow.

Postby hendry_fan

Well,who would o thought that,the old Welsh dumpling MJW reaches another final of a ranking tourney,can he add to his BIG silverware collection.

His last ranking tournament win was back in 2011 at the German Masters which he won 9-7 against the man he,s up against today.

I was one of the culprits that said a good few times that i thought that he,d never win another ranking title,i actually said the same bout Higgins. :emb:.

I,m gonna tip That Selby will win this one though. :-)