Post a reply

Crucible Classics Series

Postby mick745

I really hope the BBC do another 'Crucible Classics' series this year. Please beeb?

Like to see the following covered:
Mans v F Davis 78 SF
Griffiths v Higgins 79 QF
Higgins v White 82 SF
Thorburn v Knowles 83 SF
White v K Stevens 84 SF
Reardon v Parrott 85 QF
Hendry v James 91 QF
O'S v Ebdon 96 SF
O'S v J Higgins QF 96
Parrott v Swail L16 2000
Williams v Higgins SF 2000
Williams v Stevens Final 2000
O'S v Ebdon QF 2005
Stevens v Murphy Final 2005
Murphy v Selby SF 2007
Higgins v Selby QF 2009
N Robertson v Gould L16 2010
Trump v Ding SF 2011
Trump v Murphy 2013 QF

Any or all of the would be great bbc.

What would other forum members like the bbc to show?

Re: Crucible Classics Series

Postby SnookerEd25

As to the original question, I would like to see O'Sullivan - Andy Hicks from 2004; 13-11, they went toe-to-toe like a couple of boxers, swapping big breaks like they had a train to catch. There was never more than 2 frames in it, Hicks was the only one to live with Ronnie that year, his other matches having a combined frame score of 58-21.

Postby PLtheRef

SnookerEd25 wrote:As to the original question, I would like to see O'Sullivan - Andy Hicks from 2004; 13-11, they went toe-to-toe like a couple of boxers, swapping big breaks like they had a train to catch. There was never more than 2 frames in it, Hicks was the only one to live with Ronnie that year, his other matches having a combined frame score of 58-21.

I can remember being at that match for the final session. I think it was over by about quarter to nine. It was the first Friday evening and O'Sullivan was the first player to reach the quarterfinals.

Postby PLtheRef

I presume that the games will be the same ones that they showed before

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I'd like 'A hole with Dennis' feature whereby former players play golf and reminisce about the 1985 final with Mr Taylor

Some other ideas for the BBC to cover this year.

CJ from Eggheads, Kasabian, Kell Brook, that bloke who looked like Patsy Fagan one year and some random golfer that only Dennis Taylor has heard of turn up to provide celebrity interviews and gossip. To prove their snooker knowledge, they are asked to pick an unknown outsider who they think could win The Crucible. Most of them name Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Driving With Davis continues. For the most part, Steve Davis drives Dennis Taylor around, to complement your excellent golf idea. 1985 just can't be mentioned often enough.

Stephen Fry returns. After fooling us last year by asking; "Who won the most World Titles?" and giving the answer; "Joe Davis", he delivers other such tricky questions as; "What city is The Crucible in?", "What is Graeme Dott's first name?" and "What's 2+3?"

John Parrott interviews some leading snooker players. Despite Shaun Murphy not being amongst the player's selected, he turns up to talk about kicks any way. Maguire looks particularly annoyed.

Viewers are asked to vote on their favourite episode of Dad's Army. Winner to be revealed at the end of the fortnight, by whoever takes the World Title. Shortly before accepting the trophy.

John Virgo and Willie Thorne run a feature about Mark Selby's wife Vikki, where they analyse how lovely she is. This last three hours and 47 minutes.

A shot of the tournament feature runs at the end of the first day, and then gets forgotten about.

<ok>

Postby PLtheRef

SnookerFan wrote:It's been reminisced before, but I liked the Hunter vs Doherty match from 2003.

The Hunter-Doherty final session was my first Crucible semi-final. I remember being really disappointed when the score was 15-9 going into Saturday afternoon (given we weren't expecting much of one). The tension as the session went past the interval is arguably the tensest I've ever seen the Crucible Theatre.

It's odd because it's remembered much more than the other 15-9 semi-final to go to a decider.