Post a reply

What importance do you place on 147s these days?

Postby SnookerFan

I find them good to watch, and have seen several live in the crowd. (Hendry's at The Crucible vs Bingham being my favourite.) I enjoy watching them, even now.

But in the whole of the 1980s, there was only eight made in professional competition. There are more than that made in a season these days.

Do you find them still to be as special as they used to be? Do you find their relevance diluted?

Re: What importance do you place on 147s these days?

Postby PoolBoy

I look forward to seeing who makes the 147th maximum break - with hopefully there being a £147,000 prize available!
It could come quicker than expected...that's now 130 official professional maxis - so, the season after next is a real possibility!

Postby eraserhead

My favourite aspect of snooker is cue ball control. So I love to see them get made. There's a reason certain players make them more often than others, it's fascinating to watch the decision making as the pressure builds with every ball.

I think they're still a big deal as well because they still feel rare especially on the big occasion, you see quite a few made in the championship league but that's not quite as exciting.

Postby SnookerFan

You could argue that they are comparatively rare, all things considered.

A lot more tournaments now, and the top 16 enter a lot of the tournaments earlier than they used to. Stands to reason there'd be a lot of 147s these days.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I agree with SF as to the reasons but I think it is a problem for snooker as a sport needs new uncharted territory for the new generations to strive for. I love watching maxis but think they have lost some lustre. What would be considered the new gold standard - maXi at the shootout?

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I agree with SF as to the reasons but I think it is a problem for snooker as a sport needs new uncharted territory for the new generations to strive for. I love watching maxis but think they have lost some lustre. What would be considered the new gold standard - maXi at the shootout?

I don't consider it a massive problem. Just interested on other people's opinion.

Postby eraserhead

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I agree with SF as to the reasons but I think it is a problem for snooker as a sport needs new uncharted territory for the new generations to strive for. I love watching maxis but think they have lost some lustre. What would be considered the new gold standard - maXi at the shootout?

Winning tournaments and getting to business end seems to be uncharted territory for younger lot. :(

Postby PLtheRef

They're always special when they happen. The problem is that the prize money has dropped (understandably if they're getting harder to insure against - we've had 30 in the last three and a bit years)

They're memorable for the player and the crowd but it is still only one frame at the end of the day

Postby Andre147

PoolBoy wrote:I look forward to seeing who makes the 147th maximum break - with hopefully there being a £147,000 prize available!
It could come quicker than expected...that's now 130 official professional maxis - so, the season after next is a real possibility!

or even next season who knows with the rate it's been going...

Hearn won't have 147 grand for the 147th, but that would be the right incentive as I also said in another thread.

I hope the 147th is made somehwere memorable, The Masters, UK, or Worlds, and not somewhere in a cubicle like CL or worst the Shoot-Out.

Postby PoolBoy

Yeah, you're right Andre. He won't give that sort of pot of money away for something that is certain to happen, eventually.
He can offer a Million to a player winning the 4 'Home Nations' knowing it wont happen!

Postby Badsnookerplayer

As there is no chance of a return to big 147 prizes because they are too common now, why not combine it with a Deal or No Deal scenario.

All players given a box at start of comp.
Judd pots dodgy black for maxi.
All tables stop play and come to TV table.
His opponent opens their box.
Banker Barry phones the ref with an offer.
Away we go.

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:As there is no chance of a return to big 147 prizes because they are too common now, why not combine it with a Deal or No Deal scenario.

Away we go.

Lololololzzzz... :)

I always wondered if there was a banker on the other end, or does Noel just act it?

Postby Wildey

Tighten up the pockets to compensate for thinner cloths.

Too many balls go in without being all that accurate.

Yes the template is tighter than club tables but cloths are thicker and worn on club tables so balls grip to the cloths instead of sliding in as they do on pro tables..

its distracting from the snooker played when we have discussion quite rightly i might add about buckets.

players, TV and World Snooker are ignoring the issue and its harming the sports credibility.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:As there is no chance of a return to big 147 prizes because they are too common now, why not combine it with a Deal or No Deal scenario.

Away we go.

Lololololzzzz... :)

I always wondered if there was a banker on the other end, or does Noel just act it?

It was revealed a few years back.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/02/23/richard-o ... l-5075658/

Postby TheSaviour

This is a no-brainer. It is just about the money. Players are solely doing their job right. There´s nothing more in it. Otherwise those 147s and 147-efforts can be just harmfull. It needs to be only trying to do the job.

So that´s from the players perspective. And so I think we spectators should appreciate that too. The fans needs to be with the players, and not fancing something anything really erratic or strange. Otherwise it gets too difficult to appreciate the sport.

I think I will be there (Sheffield) next year. That´s my goal certainly to be there. This year got a bit too early to me, don´t quite have that much any extra money to spend. But I have made that long and expensive trip before (not a Sheffield-trip, but a London-trip) just to watch some snooker. So I could do that next year also. I would have nothing against seeing an entertaining 147 if I will be there. A year ago I had that alcohol-related accident during the Worlds lol.

Postby SnookerFan

TheSaviour wrote:This is a no-brainer. It is just about the money. Players are solely doing their job right. There´s nothing more in it. Otherwise those 147s and 147-efforts can be just harmfull. It needs to be only trying to do the job.

So that´s from the players perspective. And so I think we spectators should appreciate that too. The fans needs to be with the players, and not fancing something anything really erratic or strange. Otherwise it gets too difficult to appreciate the sport.

I think I will be there (Sheffield) next year. That´s my goal certainly to be there. This year got a bit too early to me, don´t quite have that much any extra money to spend. But I have made that long and expensive trip before (not a Sheffield-trip, but a London-trip) just to watch some snooker. So I could do that next year also. I would have nothing against seeing an entertaining 147 if I will be there. A year ago I had that alcohol-related accident during the Worlds lol.

I couldn't agree more.