Post a reply

Re: China Open WC Round, Last 128 and Last 64 !!!!

Postby Dannyboy

PLtheRef wrote:
Dannyboy wrote:I think they get something like £1500 towards travel costs which is not to be sniffed at, at all.

On the L128 flat draw, still think there should be an additional qualifying round (R1: 65-128, R2: 33-64), which 4 matches held over to the venue as per now and 4 wildcard matches. All of the top 32 automatically at the venue, apart from the World Championship of course. Money down to the L96 too. Not quite the old style tiered system, but a good compromise.

I think any tiered structure would work with a system where a seeded player losing their first match didn't receive anything. It would certainly negate the idea of a player receiving protection due to their ranking.

I don't think it's as necessary as it once was though.

Why should a player in the top 32, losing to someone 33rd in the rankings NOT GET paid, but someone beating the 128th player in round 1, but losing to the 64th player in the second GET paid?

Like it or not, the player has earned that protection to a point, but I'd argue that it should only be a 1-year list.

Postby Andre147

Not sure what to expect from Ronnie on this one...

he has a kind draw here, but kind draws mean nothing if you can't make the most of them, like in Germany this season for him.

At least, I hope Ronnie loses to a top player and not someone like Holt in his last visit to China.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Andre147 wrote:Not sure what to expect from Ronnie on this one...

he has a kind draw here, but kind draws mean nothing if you can't make the most of them, like in Germany this season for him.

At least, I hope Ronnie loses to a top player and not someone like Holt in his last visit to China.

Hard to call. He does have an easy early couple of rounds but should meet Ding in round 3 I think. If he loses before that then he really does have a problem.

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Not sure what to expect from Ronnie on this one...

Hard to call. He does have an easy early couple of rounds but should meet Ding in round 3 I think. If he loses before that then he really does have a problem.

He should never lose to someone like Gareth Allen lol...

Then he has Joyce, and on a bad day he could be beaten there...

But I agree, Ding v Ronnie in the Last 32 is a mouthwatering prospect, by far the 2 biggest crowd pullers in China.

Postby PoolBoy

Today's results:

Matthew Stevens 5-1 Alan McManus
Liang Wenbo 2-5 Rory McLeod
Kyren Wilson 5-3 Xiao Guodong
Michael Holt 5-3 Jimmy White

Mark Selby 5-0 Alfie Burden
Jamie Cope 3-5 Daniel Wells
Martin Gould 5-1 Fan Zhengyi (amateur)
Ian Burns 1-5 John Higgins

Postby PoolBoy

Eye-catching win that for Rory McLeod against Wenbo!

McManus has had a pretty wretched time this season - he'll do well to make the Crucible on current form
And Jimmy White's place on Tour is definitely under threat after his defeat today. Haven't looked at the arithmetic, but he'll probably need to win a few qualifying matches.

Postby gallantrabbit

Yes he was, but Holt has had a right dodgy spell. A good first half of the season then nothing... Maybe he's going to peak for the worlds...

SnookerFan wrote:Michael Holt was always going to beat Jimmy, to be fair.

Still, the score was respectable for Jimmy.

Postby PoolBoy

gallantrabbit wrote:I'm all for meritocracy but Hearn can't let Jimmy drop off tour. Maybe a couple of years ago when he couldn't make twenty but he's actually been competing again. Wildcard for the Whirlwind!!

Totally agree with you!

I'm 'torn' on this one - as, I too, believe that players should be on the Tour on merit.....BUT, while James Wattana is still being offered Wildcard entries to tournaments, then certainly Jimmy should also be given that opportunity.
However, if Hearn scrapped the 'legends wildcards' I'd have no issue with the pair of them being off the Tour.
If he doesn't get a Wildcard I could actually see Jimmy even going to Q-School to try to win a his place back if he drops-off the Tour!

Postby gallantrabbit

I could also see Jimmy at Q-school. I think he'll do anything because he enjoys it too much. I think Hearn will be missing a trick if he doesn't do something for Jimmy. It's different to Davis who wasn't really enjoying the whole process anymore.

Postby PoolBoy

Coming-up:

Jimmy Robertson v Martin O'Donnell
Ricky Walden v Niu Zhuang (amateur)
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Gareth Allen
Judd Trump v Ashley Hugill (amateur)

David Gilbert v Andrew Higginson
Paul Davison v Ding Junhui
Li Hang v Aditya Mehta
Fergal O'Brien v Stephen Maguire

Postby gallantrabbit

Maybe I haven't read enough but I actually don't understand the rankings. Jimmy and others desperate to retain their cards in the top 64 and draws of 128 for every touney. What does a Jimmy lose for not being a 'pro' exactly? Can he still enter as and amateur like this fellow Ashley Hugill for example? Does he get paid if he wins matches? Please enlighten me someone...

Postby PoolBoy

gallantrabbit wrote:Maybe I haven't read enough but I actually don't understand the rankings. Jimmy and others desperate to retain their cards in the top 64 and draws of 128 for every touney. What does a Jimmy lose for not being a 'pro' exactly? Can he still enter as and amateur like this fellow Ashley Hugill for example? Does he get paid if he wins matches? Please enlighten me someone...

My understanding is, that the 128 Tour professionals get 'first bite at the cherry' and are automatically in the draw.

If they all entered everything, then there would be no amateurs involved.

Using this current China Open as an example:
128 Pros invited - but 7 didn't enter (VISA issues, retired, suspended or simply elected to skip the event in a busy schedule!)

Rouzi Maimaiti
Leo Fernandez (suspended)
Jamie Burnett (possibly has quit!)
Sam Craigie
Hatem Yassin
Neil Robertson
Mark Allen

That leaves 121 players.
James Wattana invited and accepted it as a Wildcard to make it 122.

Then 6 amateurs are invited to make it a 128 draw - I think using the Q-School order-of-merit, inviting players going down the list, until 6 accept the invitation:

(not necessarily in othis order)
Ashley Hugill
Marc J Davis
Daniel Womersley
Adam Stefanow
Andy Hicks
Peter Lines

Postby Wildey

yea to get a spot as a amataur he would have to go to q school and have a great run.

however Jimmy Card will be offered by Barry

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:Thanks Poolboy. BUT this is for the 128 places. Why, then the scramble for top 64 places? Because all the talk is Jimmy dropping off the top 64 not the top 128 right?

Top 64 and Top 8 on the 1 year list that are not in the top 64 will stay on tour see 1 year list http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?te ... eason=2016 players in yellow are top on the one year list that means at the end of this season 72 + players on the second of a 2 year card stay on tour others will have to go to Q School in may