Post a reply

China Open WC Round, Last 128 and Last 64 !!!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Monday 27th of March ~ Sunday 2nd of April at Students Gymnasium, Beijing, China

The China Open has been a fixture on the Calendar for the last 13 years since Ding Junhui beat Stephen Hendry for the title in 2005.

World and UK Champion Mark Selby and Masters Champion Ronni9e O'Sullivan heads the field but Marco Fu and Barry Hawkins winners of ranking event this season failed to make the trip losing to Daniel Wells and Aditya Mehta respectively.

Who will reach the last 32?

DRAW

Selected Last 64 Matches

Anthony McGill v Tian Pengfei
Mike Dunn v Andy Hicks
Hossein Vafaei v Joe Perry
Allister Carter v Stuart Carrington
Michael White v Yu Delu
Zhang Anda v Mark J Williams
Stuart Bingham v Scott Donaldson
Kyren Wilson v Xiao Guodong
Gareth Allen v Ronnie O'Sullivan
Zhou Yuelong v Matthew Selt
Daniel Wells v Jamie Cope
Allan McManus v Matthew Stevens
Stephen Maguire v Fergal O'Brien

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: China Open WC Round, Last 128 and Last 64 !!!!

Postby OoNebsoO

How does this work for Weston or Santos, or later O'Sullivan and Stefanow. Do they get reimbursed for plane tickets, food and hotel? Seems cruel to have them jog on to China, just to be demolished in the arena, and having them pay for everything themselves...

Trump - Weston 5-0
Wenbo - Santos 4-0 (with 55-0 advantage for Liang in fifth frame)

Postby SnookerFan

OoNebsoO wrote:How does this work for Weston or Santos, or later O'Sullivan and Stefanow. Do they get reimbursed for plane tickets, food and hotel? Seems cruel to have them jog on to China, just to be demolished in the arena, and having them pay for everything themselves...

Trump - Weston 5-0

All part of Hearn's regime to 'not reward mediocrity', I suppose.

(Except for the Shoot Out, which rewards the lucky and not the skillful.)

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
OoNebsoO wrote:How does this work for Weston or Santos, or later O'Sullivan and Stefanow. Do they get reimbursed for plane tickets, food and hotel? Seems cruel to have them jog on to China, just to be demolished in the arena, and having them pay for everything themselves...

Trump - Weston 5-0

All part of Hearn's regime to 'not reward mediocrity', I suppose.

(Except for the Shoot Out, which rewards the lucky and not the skillful.)

I feel bad for the likes of Weston and Santos. Not only is this not 'rewarding mediocrity', it's actually punishing them.

128 draws for the most part are crap, IMO.

Postby Wildey

Jason Weston qualified for the tour through Q School so he earned that spot on tour But Santos Qualified through a very weak and mediocrity Route in America.

Postby eraserhead

Only been watching since 2-2 but Ding's playing well, he should have nicked the last frame but didn't land great on the black for the last red.

Postby Andre147

I see a number of player's made 3 centuries today, all of them won their matches:

Murphy, M.White, Trump and now Selby.

I liked how Stefanow handled himself, had he taken advantage of Selby's poor form early in the match and not be 2-2, but 3-1 in front for instance things could have been diferent. Selby won 5-3 in the end.

Postby SnookerFan

I wonder when we'll know what the television schedule looks like for The Crucible?

Especially middle weekend. I've seen days when BBC, Interactive and Eurosport are all showing identical London Marathon coverage.

Postby PoolBoy

SnookerFan wrote:TWITTER ATTACK!

Joe Perry‏@joegentlemanjoe
Ponds forge here I come!!!!

It would be strange not having Joe Perry at The Crucible - he's been there 10 times in the past 11 years and fourteen times in all.

But, he's got the qualifiers to negotiate - no guarantee he'll get through!

Mark King is also heading to the qualifiers after losing today.

Postby kolompar

Trump - Weston 5-0

I think hotel is usually paid at the Chinese tournaments. And I think the heldover losers also get some money, which is unfair, as Santos or Stefanow for example don't get paid when they have to travel to the UK.

Postby Dannyboy

I think they get something like £1500 towards travel costs which is not to be sniffed at, at all.

On the L128 flat draw, still think there should be an additional qualifying round (R1: 65-128, R2: 33-64), which 4 matches held over to the venue as per now and 4 wildcard matches. All of the top 32 automatically at the venue, apart from the World Championship of course. Money down to the L96 too. Not quite the old style tiered system, but a good compromise.

Postby PLtheRef

Dannyboy wrote:I think they get something like £1500 towards travel costs which is not to be sniffed at, at all.

On the L128 flat draw, still think there should be an additional qualifying round (R1: 65-128, R2: 33-64), which 4 matches held over to the venue as per now and 4 wildcard matches. All of the top 32 automatically at the venue, apart from the World Championship of course. Money down to the L96 too. Not quite the old style tiered system, but a good compromise.

I think any tiered structure would work with a system where a seeded player losing their first match didn't receive anything. It would certainly negate the idea of a player receiving protection due to their ranking.

I don't think it's as necessary as it once was though.