Post a reply

Re: Worst Player To Have Won A Ranking Tournament.

Postby SnookerEd25

Silvino Francisco was a pretty consistent top 16er for most of the 80s, & was a tough, solid competitior who usually got to the business end of tournaments, whereas Bob Chaperon did very little before or after his sole ranking win. Tony Jones was somewhere in the middle, but Chaperon has to be the call.

Postby SteveJJ

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:We've had the best player not to win a tournament debate but who is the worst player to have actually won a ranker?

Is McGill the worst to win multiple tournaments?

Hey SteveJJ- Are you Steve James? LEGEND

Afraid not but my middle name is James. Never had his haircut either!

Postby SnookerEd25

I'm pretty sure he declared himself bankrupt at one point, but I think he was still an active professional at the time; there's YouTube footage of an exhibition he did with Tony Knowles down at Southsea from 2013, & Internet rumours that he's been ill & awaiting a kidney transplant. Could be fake news that though, who knows?

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:I liked the mullet. That was a proper hair style, in my opinion.

Didn't terry griffiths have a bubble perm from hell, sometime in the mid-80s? :td:

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Had a look at the final frame of Bob vs Alex and to be fair he played a pretty reasonable game despite it being his first final. The frame was interesting to watch but very much of it's time - chalk blowing, cue tapping on table, Alex at his malevolent and menacing best. The post-match interview is worth a look too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCctaybcPMg

Postby Dan-cat

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I liked the mullet. That was a proper hair style, in my opinion.

Didn't terry griffiths have a bubble perm from hell, sometime in the mid-80s? :td:

No, I think it was from Vidal Sassoon.

Heheheh I do amuse myself.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SteveJJ wrote:Where does Georgiou fit in to this discussion? Does Bob Chaperon have some competition for the title?

Too early to tell but I think Georgiou will achieve more than Bob. With a bit more self-belief and higher expectations of himself there is no reason he cannot reach top 16 IMO

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:Where does Georgiou fit in to this discussion? Does Bob Chaperon have some competition for the title?

Too early to tell but I think Georgiou will achieve more than Bob. With a bit more self-belief and higher expectations of himself there is no reason he cannot reach top 16 IMO

He's defo got the game, has he got the minerals?

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

He already has.