Post a reply

Crucible Qualifiers 2017

Postby PoolBoy

World Snooker have issued confirmation of who the 'top up' players will be for this year's Qualifiers. http://www.worldsnooker.com/criteria-se ... vitations/

16 players automatically qualify, with the remaining 112 professionals* being joined by a further 16 to make 128...
* Leo Fernandez is still suspended, so I assume James Wattana takes that place.

Home Nations nominations:

England: Jamie Bodle & Wayne Townsend
Scotland: Chris Totten & Ross Vallance
Northern Ireland: Jordan Brown & Patrick Wallace
Wales: Tyler Rees & Jackson Page

2017 World Seniors Championship winner: Yet to be played

2016 World Women’s Championship winner: Reanne Evans (England)

2016 World Amateur Championship winner: Soheil Vahedi (Iran) (unable to obtain a VISA)
2016 World Amateur U21 Championship winner: Xu Si (China)

2017 European Amateur Championship winner: Currently being played
2017 European Amateur U21 Championship winner: Alexander Ursenbacher (Switzerland)
2017 European Amateur U18 Championship winner: Jackson Page (Wales) (already listed as a Wales nomination, so the runner-up takes this place) Amir Nardeia (Israel)

2016/17 European Amateur Order of Merit: Gerard Greene (Northern Ireland) & Zack Richardson (England)

Re: Crucible Qualifiers 2017

Postby PoolBoy

Delighted to see Reanne getting the opportunity. And Jackson Page is also an exciting inclusion.
But, I can see Alexander Ursenbacher and Patrick Wallace as players who could cause problems for their opponents.

Meanwhile, it's been confirmed that the current top 15 in the provisional seedings are assured of their places at Sheffield.

Mark Selby
Judd Trump
Stuart Bingham
Ding Junhui
Shaun Murphy
John Higgins
Barry Hawkins
Marco Fu
Neil Robertson
Ali Carter
Mark Allen
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Liang Wenbo
Kyren Wilson
Anthony McGill

Ryan Day occupies the last remaining automatic slot, but hasn't qualified for the China Open.

There are 9 players who are still 'mathematically' in a with a chance of snatching it away from Ryan....

Joe Perry (needs to at least reach the semi-finals of the China Open)
Martin Gould (needs to at least reach the semi-finals of the China Open)

David Gilbert (needs to at least reach the Final of the China Open)
Mark King (needs to at least reach the Final of the China Open)
Ricky Walden (needs to at least reach the Final of the China Open)

Michael Holt (needs to win the China Open)
Mark J Williams (needs to win the China Open)
Alan McManus (needs to win the China Open)
Stephen Maguire (needs to win the China Open)

Postby PoolBoy

SnookerFan wrote:Getting on Eurosport this, aint it?

Is it!? I didn't realise the Qualifiers were going to be televised this year! :-)

Postby mick745

Isn't the Women's world championships being played at the moment? if it is then why not invite this year's champion instead of the 2016 champion?

Postby PoolBoy

mick745 wrote:Isn't the Women's world championships being played at the moment? if it is then why not invite this year's champion instead of the 2016 champion?

It's a really strange decision, to be honest!
Instead of including the Women's World Champion from the tournament currently being played, the winner from 12 months ago is instead picked? :shrug:

Postby PLtheRef

mick745 wrote:Isn't the Women's world championships being played at the moment? if it is then why not invite this year's champion instead of the 2016 champion?

I was thinking the same. It's odd but i think the reasoning behind it will be that given the Women's World Championship usually took place either immediately prior to the men's event or the men's qualifying rounds and thus wouldn't have been available to take part. The 2015 Champion took part in the 2016 qualifiers so it seems fair (if a little odd) that the 2016 Champion qualifies for the 2017 men's event.

Postby PLtheRef

Plus you'd expect the qualifier to be On Yee or Evans to be the qualifier

Postby PoolBoy

Newly crowned European Amateur champion, Chris Totten, was already due to compete in Crucible qualifying, so the runner-up gets the place.
Andres Petrov (Estonia).

Just one place is now available - going to the winner of the Seniors World Championship.
(unless Patrick Wallace wins it - it'll then go to the runner-up!)

Postby mick745

This must assume that all current professionals will enter the world championship or there could be some more wildcards. Wonder if they all will, even Jamie Burnett?

Postby SteveJJ

mick745 wrote:This must assume that all current professionals will enter the world championship or there could be some more wildcards. Wonder if they all will, even Jamie Burnett?

I'd say there are 4 pro's nailed on not to enter. Burnett, Yassin, Fernandez and Maimaiti.

So there will be 4 top ups at least from the q school order of merit.

Postby PoolBoy

Peter Lines takes the last remaining place, after cruising to the Seniors title.
Just a case of waiting for any withdrawals now! As SteveJJ, mentioned above, there are bound to be a few...

Postby PoolBoy

SteveJJ wrote:Do we know when the draw is for the qualifiers?

I don't know! But, with the China Open finishing on Sunday, the World Championship draw will surely be done the next day - ie on Monday?
It surely HAS to - as the whole thing starts on Wednesday!

Postby Andre147

PoolBoy wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:Do we know when the draw is for the qualifiers?

I don't know! But, with the China Open finishing on Sunday, the World Championship draw will surely be done the next day - ie on Monday?
It surely HAS to - as the whole thing starts on Wednesday!

Why it hasn't been made already is beyond me...

Postby SteveJJ

I suppose they want to wait until seedings are confirmed what with 2 players able to get in to the top 16 and maybe if he won it, Vafaei might get in the top half of seeds...or maybe not, I haven't checked.

Do I remember rightly that this draw sometimes doesn't go to plan in terms of streaming it live? Maybe as the qualifiers are on eurosport it may be on there?

Postby SnookerFan

I heard rumours that Eurosport were putting the qualifiers on the main channel, not just on Eurosport Player.

Doesn't seem to be the case, sadly. Or at least, it's not being listed as being on on Wednesday or Thursday in the TV guide.

Postby PoolBoy

The 16 amateur players who'll compete in the qualifiers, have been confirmed -
(there will likely be a few more 'top-ups' as it's extremely unlikely that every current professional will enter)

Home Nations nominations:

England: Jamie Bodle & Wayne Townsend
Scotland: Chris Totten & Ross Vallance
Northern Ireland: Jordan Brown & Patrick Wallace
Wales: Tyler Rees & Jackson Page

2017 World Seniors Championship winner: Peter Lines

2016 World Women’s Championship winner: Reanne Evans (England)

2016 World Amateur Championship winner: Soheil Vahedi (Iran) (unable to obtain a VISA)
2016 World Amateur U21 Championship winner: Xu Si (China)

2017 European Amateur Championship winner: Chris Totten (Scotland) (already listed as a Scottish nomination, so the runner-up takes this place): Andres Petrov (Estonia)
2017 European Amateur U21 Championship winner: Alexander Ursenbacher (Switzerland)
2017 European Amateur U18 Championship winner: Jackson Page (Wales) (already listed as a Wales nomination, so the runner-up takes this place) Amir Nardeia (Israel).
However, Nardeia is unable to be in Sheffield for the Qualifiers, so this spot has been awarded to current Women's World Champion: Ng On Yee (Hong Kong)

2016/17 European Amateur Order of Merit: Gerard Greene (Northern Ireland) & Zack Richardson (England)

Postby PoolBoy

SnookerFan wrote:Not sure if I've ever heard of an Estonian snooker player before.

I'm not sure how 'seeded' the draw is, but it would be amazing if Reanne Evans and Ng On Yee got paired together!

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Morinas77 wrote:What would be the best draw for the women to win a match? I guess right now Lawler, Doherty, Astley and Poomjaeng.

I think those would be a good shout. I would add Jamie Cope in as well.

Postby PoolBoy

Badsnookerplayer wrote:2016 World Amateur Championship winner: Soheil Vahedi (Iran) (unable to obtain a VISA)

What is the problem with visas ffs?

No idea what that's all about!

It sounds more Donald trump than Judd Trump! <laugh>

Postby Cloud Strife

PoolBoy wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:2016 World Amateur Championship winner: Soheil Vahedi (Iran) (unable to obtain a VISA)

What is the problem with visas ffs?

No idea what that's all about!

It sounds more Donald trump than Judd Trump! <laugh>

Perhaps he should claim he's a Syrian refugee, come over on a boat and pretend he's an under-18 child. Good chance they'll let him in then.