Post a reply

Re: Bingo betting

Postby eraserhead

Just read this <doh> <doh> <doh>

Why any snooker player feels the need to bet on snooker after some of the stories baffle me.

Postby PoolBoy

Yeah, not great news for Stuart Bingham. He'll probably get a short ban sometime next season.
I don't believe a word of his 'defence' that he didn't realise a professional snooker player couldn't gamble on the outcome of matches between his fellow-pros!

There's obviously the opportunity for 'collusion', so it is rightly barred - sorry Bingo; although I'm not accusing you of cheating, I'm not 'buying' your naivety defence!

Postby SnookerFan

Stupid thing for Bingham to do really. Ignorance of the rules is no excuse.

I can believe he didn't mean any harm. But a really, really stupid thing for him to do.

Postby Cloud Strife

Rules are rules, so Bingham will have to accept whatever comes his way. I'm sure he knew what he was doing, pleading ignorance won't cut it. However, I do have some sympathy with Bingham as I think the rules are silly and overly controlling, IMO.

I wonder how he got caught though. Did someone grass him up? :chin:

Postby Badsnookerplayer

He absolutely must have known the rules and it does not add up for him to claim that he thought only bets on other players were disallowed:
1. Precedent of others being banned - he must know of this.
2. It is blindingly obvious. If I am a friend of a player then there is potential for me to try to influence his play and bet on it.

I reckon he thought he would get away with it as there was no 'flurry' of suspicious betting just one accumulator.

Own up Bingo.

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:He absolutely must have known the rules and it does not add up for him to claim that he thought only bets on other players were disallowed:
1. Precedent of others being banned - he must know of this.
2. It is blindingly obvious. If I am a friend of a player then there is potential for me to try to influence his play and bet on it.

I reckon he thought he would get away with it as there was no 'flurry' of suspicious betting just one accumulator.

Own up Bingo.

Fully agree with your post, it was impossible for him not to know this would have consequences, and the 2 points you make are well accurate.

Postby kolompar

He also says he used someone else's account. Very suspicious. I say ban him for life <ok>

Postby Cloud Strife

kolompar wrote:He also says he used someone else's account. Very suspicious. I say ban him for life <ok>

This just makes it sound like he knew exactly what he was doing and what the rules are regarding what he was doing, but was hoping he wouldn't get caught by using someone else's account.

Postby TheSaviour

That´s awful news. I found Bingham the most intriguing player there just is. If he gets just a short ban it won´t be problem to him, ranking wise. He is that much good. If he plays in 5 tournaments, he is basically guaranteed to have at least 2 two deep runs. No other player can take things and it that much guaranteed. Perhaps that´s why he was so careless. I just thought he might get some kind of a fine, not a ban.

Stuart is so gritty that it is almost a joke. Some other players can make some incredible things while being bigged up and their matches have been marketing well. So they answer well when there is some pressure. That´s good. But they make those things when there are optimal conditions. I don´t know if things have been thought over and predicted optimally, these days. But that´s a different thing comparing to having more or less optimal conditions. Which nowadays Barry Hearn and cos can very well arrange.

So I am just saying Stuart was careless. But he can afford to do that.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I find it hard to believe Bingham did not know this could get him in trouble. He's a professional snooker players FFS. Surely he and his entourage know it's not a good idea to bet on matches, even if it's not your own matches....

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
kolompar wrote:He also says he used someone else's account. Very suspicious. I say ban him for life <ok>

This just makes it sound like he knew exactly what he was doing and what the rules are regarding what he was doing, but was hoping he wouldn't get caught by using someone else's account.

Where does it say this? That doesn't sound good at all.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Now this is interesting...

Go to Bingo's website http://stuartbingham.uk.com/

and search for 'betting'. There is a statement on his own case but he also comments on Leo Fernandez' ban in which he states:

"I think betting gives players lower down the rankings a chance to get a bit of money on the side.

"But I've spoken to snooker's chief of anti-corruption Nigel Mawer and he says they monitor all the betting patterns and all of the shots - so you are not going to get away with it and it is just not worth it."

It seems that he is speaking more about match-fixing but it seems implausible that he was unaware that he may not place a bet. I like Bingo and think he needs to proceed with transparency and honesty so as not to tarnish his reputation any further.

Postby Stookey

Dan-cat wrote:Ban him till he's 50!!

Agreed, he can't be trusted.
Last edited by Stookey on 04 Aug 2017, edited 1 time in total.