Post a reply

Who will win the World Championship in 2017?

Stuart Bingham
5%
Joe Perry
No votes
Barry Hawkins
5%
Martin Gould
No votes
Alan McManus
5%
Michael Holt
5%
Mark King
No votes
Dominic Dale
14%
Anthony Hamilton
19%
Other (Please State)
48%

Total votes : 21

Re: 2017 World Championship - who will win?

Postby mick745

Ding and Trump are the obvious big names yet to have their names on the trophy but they have to make their move NOW before a certain trio of up and coming Chinese players begin to dominate.

Selby must be the favourite though.

Postby Andre147

Selby will be favourite no matter what happens. Ronnie 2nd favourite.

I voted Other and that I think Fu has all the attributes this season to go all the way. His main problem is not being able to be consistent over a 17 day period.

Postby TheSaviour

mick745 wrote:Ding and Trump are the obvious big names yet to have their names on the trophy but they have to make their move NOW before a certain trio of up and coming Chinese players begin to dominate.

:hatoff: :bowdown:

The problem with Ding is that his success very depends if Ronnie is ruling the game or not. Because their break-building patterns and styles are that much similar. If and now when Ronnie is struggling and failing to produce it one could expect Ding having problems with confidence, too. I Suppose it would foolish to completely rule out Ronnie but at the moment he is nowhere near to be among the best players, even when he managed to fall over the line at the Ally Pally. It would be same if Stephen Hendry would be still playing; people would talk about a century nro xxx and a century nro xxx +1, or the odd tournament victory which would add the figures. Even if overally it wouldn´t be any good.

I tipped years ago Selby to rule the game and the rankings and he has done that. I wrote that when he still was an underdog and nowhere near to be a World Number 1. Luckily all my predictions have not arrived (at least not yet ha ha.. <doh> <doh> ) but that prediction was spot on. But as obvious as that was as obvious it is that he won´t be the number 1 too long anymore. When he starts to lose the ground there are several players out there with a shout. I would say Shaun Murphy´s game currently is a top notch, and it is just a matter of time before he starts to get the results big time. In a way Ronnie is back where he once was; not the best player, or even among the very best players, but the people´s champion and a crowd favourite. The fans are rooting him because at the moment he is an underdog.

A "flawless perfection", a "very well done downing the rocket" phrases come to mind when thinking about the 2017 World Championships..
Last edited by TheSaviour on 27 Feb 2017, edited 4 times in total.

Postby Mike_Oxhard

Anthony McGill. Had a few quid on him @125/1 in the 2015 worlds,after he beat Selby was counting the winnings !!
Was a bit surprised/disappointed when he lost to Fu last year.

Postby SnookerFan

Mike_Oxhard wrote:Anthony McGill. Had a few quid on him @125/1 in the 2015 worlds,after he beat Selby was counting the winnings !!
Was a bit surprised/disappointed when he lost to Fu last year.

:welcome:

Postby Sickpotter

TheSaviour wrote:
mick745 wrote:Ding and Trump are the obvious big names yet to have their names on the trophy but they have to make their move NOW before a certain trio of up and coming Chinese players begin to dominate.

The problem with Ding is that his success very depends if Ronnie is ruling the game or not. Because their break-building patterns and styles are that much similar. If and now when Ronnie is struggling and failing to produce it one could expect Ding having problems with confidence, too..

<doh>

Seriously Saviour?

Because they have similar break building styles when one is having trouble the other will as well?

That's exceptionally poor analysis unsupported by anything.

Try to avoid consuming large amounts of alcohol or drugs prior to posting ;-)

Postby Andre147

Sickpotter wrote:
TheSaviour wrote:

The problem with Ding is that his success very depends if Ronnie is ruling the game or not. Because their break-building patterns and styles are that much similar. If and now when Ronnie is struggling and failing to produce it one could expect Ding having problems with confidence, too..

<doh>

Seriously Saviour?

Because they have similar break building styles when one is having trouble the other will as well?

That's exceptionally poor analysis unsupported by anything.

Try to avoid consuming large amounts of alcohol or drugs prior to posting ;-)

I wouldn't take his posts so seriously if I were you... 99% of the times it's like an alien from outer space who has just landed here and posted on SI.

Postby kristian1980

With the way this seasons been going I reckon anyone could win it !!! You can never rule out the main contenders, Selby, O'sullivan, Fu, Ding, Trump and Robertson who always seem to turn it on in Sheffield But for a good bet I would say Hawkins (16/1) and Bingham (25/1) have a decent shot at the title too.

Postby Coland

Vallomas wrote:Can Selbo make a Stephen Hendry and win five consecutive world titles, after being hit by the Crucible curse?

I think Selbo win at least nine. Could win as many as 15!
Last edited by Coland on 06 Mar 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TheSaviour

I know that the scores of fans are really looking forward how well Ross Muir can do there. And it is just not because he has an interesting name. He already was a highly impressive during the shoot-out. Not playing with the usual and trademark solidness, but still getting it right. For example when he beat an in-form Jimmy White he took on many extremely difficult pots and still getting those correct. And even more impressive and important, getting the even more difficult positions after the pot also correct. And there also reads "147" as his highest break.

I know that many fans are really looking forward to see how a player like that, namely Ross Muir here, can do. Laura Muir already is a star, but how well can Ross do??

Postby SnookerFan

TheSaviour wrote:I know that the scores of fans are really looking forward how well Ross Muir can do there. And it is just not because he has an interesting name. He already was a highly impressive during the shoot-out. Not playing with the usual and trademark solidness, but still getting it right. For example when he beat an in-form Jimmy White he took on many extremely difficult pots and still getting those correct. And even more impressive and important, getting the even more difficult positions after the pot also correct. And there also reads "147" as his highest break.

I know that many fans are really looking forward to see how a player like that, namely Ross Muir here, can do. Laura Muir already is a star, but how well can Ross do??

rofl rofl

Postby Andre147

daraghj82 wrote:judd will win it this year

For me it's either Selby or Robbo that wins it this year.

Judd is still far too inconsistent, and he still lacks the killer instinct a World Champion needs to have. His schocking record of TC titles is just a proof of that.

As much as I want to believe it would be Ronnie's, he will have to show consistent performances there for me to start believing. His recent behaviour also doesn't bode well for the Worlds, and I fear a repeat of 2015, with his head scrambled, will happen again. I won't believe he can win it unless he reaches the Semis.
Last edited by Andre147 on 16 Mar 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Are we doing a Watch thread this year?

Marco Fu Watch thread <ok>

Any reason why?

In the first time, we were watching how Reanne Evans progressed. Next season, Ding dropped out of the top-16, so we kept our eye on how he did.

This season?