Post a reply

Crucible 40th Anniversary

Postby SnookerFan

This year marks the 40th anniversary of snooker’s World Championship first being staged at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield.

And to mark that occasion, World Snooker and Sheffield City Council are staging a special celebration event inside the famous Crucible arena on the eve of this year’s tournament, on Friday April 14th. Tickets are now on sale and are expected to sell out rapidly.

The show will include live interviews with former champions and current players competing in this year’s tournament, who will be present in the arena. There will also be archive footage of many of the great moments of the past four decades of snooker’s biggest event.

Remember Alex Higgins celebrating the title with his baby in arms in 1982? Or Dennis Taylor’s epic black ball final in 1985? Or Ronnie O’Sullivan’s fastest ever 147 in 1997? The show will bring these moments – and many more – back to life.

The event starts at 6pm and tickets for this unique occasion will cost just £20. A donation from the ticket sales will be made to Bluebell Wood Children’s Hospice.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/40th-annive ... mpionship/

Re: Crucible 40th Anniversary

Postby Lucky

Will this be the first year where those hangers on wont have their season tickets. Bunch of nutters thought they were pseudo celebs for two weeks every year.

Postby Andre147

Lucky wrote:Will this be the first year where those hangers on wont have their season tickets. Bunch of nutters thought they were pseudo celebs for two weeks every year.

If not this year, then I think next year will definately be the end of the rubbish and nonsense season pass tickets.

Like you say, they thought they were above the other spectators with priviliged acess <doh> They claimed they are true snooker fans and been there for 2 or 3 decades every single day. They forget that those who would like a chance to have one of the their seats (sometimes one of the best at the venue) can't have them because of some silly bunch who think they are "better" Snooker fans than the rest.

I'm glad Hearn got rid of this nonsense, every equal opportunity to everyone wishing to have one of those seats.

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:They forget that those who would like a chance to have one of the their seats (sometimes one of the best at the venue) can't have them because of some silly bunch who think they are "better" Snooker fans than the rest.

That was a good post, but I found this bit particularly interesting and true. A lot of that crap about being a 'better' fan is something that only really happens in snooker.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:That was a good post, but I found this bit particularly interesting and true. A lot of that crap about being a 'better' fan is something that only really happens in snooker.

I don't know about that.

On some boxing forums I've been on, being a proper boxing fan is talked a lot more about than I've ever seen on a snooker forum. In boxing there a lot of casual fans that are fooled into buying Pay-Per-Views because Sky Sports tell them it's a big fight, and not because it actually is one. The whole sport is now hype aimed at the casual fans. This drives hardcore fans on certain boxing forums mad. It gets talked about, or alluded to all the time.

I've also seen it if I've gotten into a TV show or film enough to look what people are saying about it on the internet. I went to see Suicide Squad with a mate last year. Quite enjoyed it. Googled it. The IMDB forum was full of people arguing which one was better out of DC or Marvel, and trying to decide who were proper super hero fans. Grown adults this was. "We're better fans than you because we like Spider-Man and The Avengers. Can you not see how unrealistic Batman is?" <doh>

Part of this is because we're on the internet now, and people are always going to boast and argue on internet forums. The only reason you notice it, is because you're interested enough in snooker to discuss it online. But I suspect that's true of anything. If you discuss anything online, you'll see people boasting about their better fans than someone else.

Postby SnookerFan

I do agree with that lot who got season tickets though.

I'm not going to get into name calling, because having met some of them whilst drinking post-match and they've seemed alright. But they were getting massive discounts for those seats. Discounts that weren't available to the masses.

They should feel lucky that they were allowed to do that for 30 years. Not complain that it's been taken away for them. If they're gutted they have to pay a lot more money to be there all fortnight, think how we feel never having been given the opportunity.

Postby The Herminator

Andre147 wrote:
Lucky wrote:Will this be the first year where those hangers on wont have their season tickets. Bunch of nutters thought they were pseudo celebs for two weeks every year.

I'm glad Hearn got rid of this nonsense, every equal opportunity to everyone wishing to have one of those seats.

Yep this one goes on the Hearn good decision pile. The sense of entitlement they had when the decision was made, rather than realising just how lucky they had been to have such a run was also ridiculous.

Postby SnookerFan

Didn't they all 'go on strike' and refuse to attend one session last year?

There was only a dozen or two people left. I'm sure Hearn felt well embarrassed. rofl