Post a reply

To all the Ronnie Fans

Postby The Herminator

I think we have to accept that Ronnie is now entering the twilight of his career. For sure there will be highs to come, maybe even another WSC (although I personally doubt it) but our special time is coming slowly to an end. My question is who is going to be your new Ronnie? The player that you'll go through the highs and lows with. The one that will make or break your snooker enjoyment for the next 10 years. I was always a Steve Davis fan so of course I hated Hendry when he came along. I was more a fan of John Higgins before converting to Ronnie and all the ups and downs that has entailed. It's been a hell of a run but I need to plan for the future. I quite like Anthony McGill and I'm thinking he could be the one but I'm afraid of the emotional commitment (just ask my wife). Who is going to be yours? Any answer is valid, except Shaun Murphy.

Re: To all the Ronnie Fans

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I am keen to see Judd do well. I know that he seems to be unpopular on here (and possibly the wider community) but I think he offers excitement and plays the game as a progression from the previous generation. He also seems willing to learn and adapt his game as he has got older.

It is a shame that there are no young British players taking the game by storm (can Jackson Page do anything or possibly Oliver Lines?) but I will be interested to see the development of Yan Bingtao.

Why does Judd upset many people?

Postby Iranu

I don't mind Judd at all, but he's not going to become my new 'Ronnie' in terms of willing him to win every tournament.

Postby mick745

I am wishing the three young Chinese players well, Bingtao, Xintong and Yuelong. I especially like the way Xintong plays.

The future of snooker will have a more cosmopolitan feel, once there is a Chinese World Champion I feel that would be the tipping point.

However would Ronnie be content in falling down the rankings, if he had to qualify for WC would he bother?

If not we may be saying goodbye quicker than we anticipate. Who would fill the vacuum in the short term? More importantly who would people pay to go and watch?

Postby Cloud Strife

The thought of snooker without Ronnie sickens me, in all honesty. It would be the end of snooker as his fans know it.

Naturally something this terrible is not something I've contemplated or given too much attention to. The OP poses a very interesting question, and it's one which I'll have to come back to once I've given more thought to the idea of snooker without Ronnie.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:The thought of snooker without Ronnie sickens me, in all honesty. It would be the end of snooker as his fans know it.

Naturally something this terrible is not something I've contemplated or given too much attention to. The OP poses a very interesting question, and it's one which I'll have to come back to once I've given more thought to the idea of snooker without Ronnie.

Postby mantorok

Judd Trump.

However he is nowhere near the unpredictable whacky character that is Ronnie, but on the snooker table he's great to watch in full flow, he still lacks the pizazz that Ronnie has but he likes to entertain sometimes and that's good enough for me.

But when all's said and done no-one really comes close, do they? And I think it goes to show you need your Alex Higgins, Jimmy Whites and Ronnies in the midst of all these clean-living kids coming through the game, it just shakes things up a a bit and keeps it interesting.

Postby Andre147

I'm not sure if there would be a player when Ronnie retires that I would be willing for him to win every single tournament he enters.

I hope, by then, that Luca is already established as a top player, and he's the only one I can think of that I would support him no matter what, but he needs to fulfill his amazing talent.

Postby The Herminator

I can understand Judd as a choice as in many ways he is the natural successor to Ronnie, definitely in terms of playing style, but I just don't really like him, it's just a gut reaction. I don't need a like for like replacement, as I said before I preferred Davis over Alex and Jimmy. I'm surprised Ding hasn't been mentioned as he plays the right way but although I like him I don't love him. I guess the purist fans can get by on the overall quality and increasing diversity of the sport but I need someone to root for and feel passionate about whether they win or lose. There were times when I could barely watch a Ronnie match because it was too stressful! If I don't have that then the game will not really be the same for me.

Postby Andre147

The Herminator wrote:I can understand Judd as a choice as in many ways he is the natural successor to Ronnie, definitely in terms of playing style, but I just don't really like him, it's just a gut reaction. I don't need a like for like replacement, as I said before I preferred Davis over Alex and Jimmy. I'm surprised Ding hasn't been mentioned as he plays the right way but although I like him I don't love him. I guess the purist fans can get by on the overall quality and increasing diversity of the sport but I need someone to root for and feel passionate about whether they win or lose. There were times when I could barely watch a Ronnie match because it was too stressful! If I don't have that then the game will not really be the same for me.

I agree, I'm a Snooker fan first and foremost, and Snooker will of course carry on without Ronnie, just like it did without the Hurricane for instance. But I also need someone I actually care about if he wins or loses, someone like you say I will get upset and even angry if he loses a big match he should have won.

Luca for me is the only player I can think of, but like I said he has ways to go before establishing himself as a top player.

We all need someone we feel passionate, someone we would go as far as to say: this tournament wont be the same without him.

Postby LC

Andre147 wrote:
The Herminator wrote:I can understand Judd as a choice as in many ways he is the natural successor to Ronnie, definitely in terms of playing style, but I just don't really like him, it's just a gut reaction. I don't need a like for like replacement, as I said before I preferred Davis over Alex and Jimmy. I'm surprised Ding hasn't been mentioned as he plays the right way but although I like him I don't love him. I guess the purist fans can get by on the overall quality and increasing diversity of the sport but I need someone to root for and feel passionate about whether they win or lose. There were times when I could barely watch a Ronnie match because it was too stressful! If I don't have that then the game will not really be the same for me.

I agree, I'm a Snooker fan first and foremost, and Snooker will of course carry on without Ronnie, just like it did without the Hurricane for instance. But I also need someone I actually care about if he wins or loses, someone like you say I will get upset and even angry if he loses a big match he should have won.

Luca for me is the only player I can think of, but like I said he has ways to go before establishing himself as a top player.

We all need someone we feel passionate, someone we would go as far as to say: this tournament wont be the same without him.

I agree with you, Ronnie's been my favourite player since the mid nineties and tho he is an idiot at times, no other player makes me nervous when watching for them to win, also my disdain for his nemesis selby is linked to my support of ROS, similar to federer and nadal, tho I have mellowed in recent years! I still enjoy watching snooker without Ronnie there I've watched loads of snooker over the last few months but was indifferent to who won

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The next peoples champ will be Yan Bingtao. Look at the way he cupped his ears to the crowd Hulk Hogan style when he played Ronnie a few weeks ago.

Postby Holden Chinaski

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:The next peoples champ will be Yan Bingtao. Look at the way he cupped his ears to the crowd Hulk Hogan style when he played Ronnie a few weeks ago.

I agree Yan might be the next one. I'm not sure, but he definitely shows promise!

Postby eraserhead

I'll watch Ding and look forward to seeing how McGill and those three Chinese lads do. For me though when Ronnie's at his best no one comes close to looking as fluent.

We better get used to Trump because when Ronnie's gone he's sure to monopolise the tv table.

Postby Holden Chinaski

eraserhead wrote: For me though when Ronnie's at his best no one comes close to looking as fluent..

Nobody ever will.

Postby sas6789

Holden Chinaski wrote:
eraserhead wrote: For me though when Ronnie's at his best no one comes close to looking as fluent..

Nobody ever will.

you can foresee the future then?

Postby Holden Chinaski

sas6789 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Nobody ever will.

you can foresee the future then?

Yes. I can.