50%
Mark Allen
No votes
Barry Hawkins
50%

Total votes : 16

Who do you rate as the better player?

Postby Andre147

Who do you think is the best player out of these 3?

The 3 have similar ranking event titles, Hawkins and Allen with 3, Carter with 4.

I voted Hawkins.

Re: Who do you rate as the better player?

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:I think Hawkins is closer to a World Title now than either of the other two have ever been. Allen should have been the best of the three, but he chose complaining over his talent.

Fully agree Allen has all right attributes to be better than the other 2, but he has other things in his mind.

Hawkins the best for me, Carter close 2nd.

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I think Hawkins is closer to a World Title now than either of the other two have ever been. Allen should have been the best of the three, but he chose complaining over his talent.

Fully agree Allen has all right attributes to be better than the other 2, but he has other things in his mind.

Hawkins the best for me, Carter close 2nd.

I think Hawkins still has a little bit to do to overtake Carter.

Postby TheRocket

Hawkins has the higher peak level but Allen and Carter have shown more consistency by being Top 16 players for a long time now. Hawkins career on the other side really started from 2012 on.

Voted for Carter in the end. As he has the consistency factor on his side, one more ranker and he's a 2 time Crucible runner up.

But it's indeed very close. One Masters or UK title is already enough to change everything.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I can't choose between Carter and Hawkins. I think Hawkins at his best is better than Carter, but Carter is more consistent. Allen's good and can beat anyone on his day, but Carter and Hawkins are more professional, more all round competitors.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:Of the three, Mark Allen should be the best. But I don't think he has the determination that the othets have.

Spot on. That's why i voted the Hawk.

Postby Andre147

I see that votes are pretty divided between Hawkins and Carter, as I expected them to be. But so far Carter has one more vote, 6 to 5.

In my opinion, despite being a late bloomer, Hawkins has surpassed him, but I fully understand those who think Carter is slightly better.

Like we've said here though, Allen should have been the best of the 3 by now. He has age on his side, but I somehow doubt he will make the most of his talent.

Postby Alex0paul

Carter has won more ranking events.
Carter has been in two World Finals.
Carter has been ranked number two in the World.
Carter has a 6-1 H2H v Hawkins
Carter has a 3-2 H2H v Allen

There is no question that Carter is the best

Postby Andre147

Alex0paul wrote:Carter has won more ranking events.
Carter has been in two World Finals.
Carter has been ranked number two in the World.
Carter has a 6-1 H2H v Hawkins
Carter has a 3-2 H2H v Allen

There is no question that Carter is the best

The first 3 are correct, but h2h don't mean a thing, otherwise you can say Mark Johnston Allen is better than Hendry.

Postby GJ

Allen is 7 years their junior so I think including him is a little unfair at this stage.

Out of the other 2 I say Hawkins has the potential to achieve more but to date Carter has done better overall.

Postby Iranu

GJ wrote:Allen is 7 years their junior so I think including him is a little unfair at this stage.

Out of the other 2 I say Hawkins has the potential to achieve more but to date Carter has done better overall.

Allen may not even last 7 years if he keeps piling on the pounds.

I went Carter. As mentioned his records are better over his and Hawkins's entire careers, plus he just "feels" classier when watching. Don't ask me why.

I would say though that Hawkins's peak play is probably better. There are few on tour as good as Barry in Beast Mode.

Postby TheSaviour

Ali is certainly the most entertaining. Hawks plays actually really modern break-building, that also can be a really cracking to watch. Just need to have enough time and patience to watch it. So live it works really well. I just haven´t watched any live snooker lately. Don´t have any reason for that. But that Barry Hawkins playing is really far fetched from the times when Alex Higgins, Bill Werbeniuk and so on used to almost solely just hit the ball hard. It worked as good as this modern what Hawks plays. I just prefer Barry Hawkins smooth but still utmostly versatile style more. Obviously Mark Allen is the most tough one to crack, having perhaps the best reputation. Out of these three. Even it is tight. Espicially when Ali has lately made so tremendous century breaks.

Some players just can teach you basically everything about the physics of the game. The angles are not everything. A German pool billiards player Oliver Ortmann certainly is one of those players. He can easily make century breaks in snooker also. Which is a bloody miracle given his hard, pool billiard technique. But miracles do happen.

If player goes for 147 that´s only a positive thing. No-one can beat Oliver Ortmann or the other German Ralf Souquet regarding being a winner or to match their ability to teach things. But if snooker player want´s to be constructive then go for the 147s. That´s only positive. In many ways. Well they all make hundreds of those while practising.

Postby Andre147

Probably me having Allen here was unfair as he's younger than the other 2, hence he has no votes lol...

I see things still remain very much tied, 7-7 between Hawkins and Carter.