Topic locked

Rocket Set For PTC Lift-Off

Postby Wildey

http://www.worldsnooker.com/PTC1_news(R ... TC_LiftOff)-2315.htm?tid=166

Ronnie O'Sullivan, Mark Selby and Shaun Murphy are among the top snooker stars in the line-up for the first event in the new Players Tour Championship next week.
The tournament takes place at the World Snooker Academy in Sheffield from June 25 to 27 and is the first of 12 three-day PTC events. A new Order of Merit will rank players by how much money they have won, with the top 24 on the final Order of Merit to go through to the televised conclusion next March.

As well as O'Sullivan, Selby and Murphy, fellow top 16 cuemen Stephen Maguire, Marco Fu, Mark Williams, Ryan Day, Mark King and Graeme Dott will also be at PTC1, competing for their share of the £50,000 prize pot.

Around 140 players in total have entered. The full draw and format will follow when available.

Re: Rocket Set For PTC Lift-Off

Postby Wildey

Ronnie has entered but as expected by me it looks like Hendry has not <doh>

Postby Casey

He might have, sure there is no mention of Robbo and I am sure he will be there

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:He might have, sure there is no mention of Robbo and I am sure he will be there

not sure as a aussie he doesn't want to be in Britain longer than he has to he has family commitments the other side of the world but i hope your right.

Postby Casey

Well if this was to be his last year on the circuit I can understand him not entering. No mention of Mark Allen either.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:Well if this was to be his last year on the circuit I can understand him not entering. No mention of Mark Allen either.

to be fair theres a lot not mentioned with places to play for.

Robbo
Carter
Ding
Allen
Hendry
Wenbo

but really if Hendry has any ambition left in the tank he should have been in this draw by not being this could very much be his swansong.

Postby Monique

Robbo is a new daddy and when I was in Berlin/Munich with him some 10 days ago he was chatting with Michaela and Ronnie about his plans to spend some time with his girlfriend and newborn son in Norway first then flying to Australia to visit his family. All quite understandable.
I didn't really listen so I don't remember if he mentioned dates but obviously he was talking about the (then) coming weeks. So I'm not surprised he hasn't entered.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:It says on world snooker that 72 pros have entered!

24 has not ...

not entering isnt the problem but the fact when you in PTC 2 being a top player drawing Ronnie,Selby or Murphy in the last 128 could be a massive problem. if players could get off to a good start in the first PTC they are laughing and the knock on effect from that.

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:Ronnie has entered but as expected by me it looks like Hendry has not <doh>

I was not expecting Hendry to enter neither TBH.

Postby Casey

If he hasn’t entered its not because the event is below him…after all he attended the 6 reds world championship (before the TV stages). The Wuxi Classic which he had to travel the whole way to China, the Malta Cup when it was a non ranking event.

His career is winding down, he knows it and has admitted it. I don’t think he has the once high levels of competitiveness left in him, given this event is not televised and not open to the public I don’t think he should feel any obligation to attend. It won’t make any difference on this occasion in terms of boosting the sports profile, there are enough big name players there already. Obviously the German Masters is a different situation though.

Postby Wildey

he hasent entered because of the timing of it as i said yesterday its june but i think he is making a massive mistake if he wants to stay in the top 16.

the first 4 PTC win your first match in each of them you would get 1,520 points thats not the problem. but the points he isnt getting and other players below him is getting and closing in on ending his career.

Postby Casey

Bahrain is another event he attended that could have been considered below him ;)

I would be surprised if Allen didn’t enter the tournament as he is very close to the top 8 which makes all the difference in terms of tournament draws, Wenbo and Ding might feel a break at home for a few extra weeks will serve them better for the long season ahead.

Postby Monique

The Wuxi Classic was originally crafted by 110 and Hendry has always been loyal to the Doyles. He also has huge sponsoring interests in China. As for the six-reds yes he did enter but ... for the gossip I heard he was more committed to having a good time and organising the dayly (or should I say nightly) poker tournament with his mate Mark Williams than he was commited to snooker ;). And why not? Life is not just about work and business is it? By being there he added prestige to the event anyway.

Postby Wildey

mon

i do expect him to enter the second PTC though and every one there after if he dont then its over for him and he has nobody but himself to blame.

Postby Wildey

the PTC is not like thoes challenge fiasco of last year these are for yourself as much as anyone the challenge series last season was take it or leave it.

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:mon

i do expect him to enter the second PTC though and every one there after if he dont then its over for him and he has nobody but himself to blame.

Well he should enter really.

@case not entering Bahrain wasn't an option really, he needed the points badly and his manager was a member of the board, so he was due to show his support. Add to it that with Higgins, Ronnie, Selby and Ding missing it, not to mention the low level of commitment of some other players, chances to progress further in the tournament were higher: he got to the semis by beating Walden, Pinches and Milkins ;)

Postby Casey

He needs the points now as badly as he did back then. Also he entered the event along with Ronnie although I am sure he knew Ronnie wouldn’t attend.

Hopefully World Snooker publish the full list of players soon, along with the drawso we can see how its set.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:He needs the points now as badly as he did back then. Also he entered the event along with Ronnie although I am sure he knew Ronnie wouldn’t attend.

Hopefully World Snooker publish the full list of players soon, along with the drawso we can see how its set.

the main draw is being done on monday and published on World Snooker.com around 5pm

i think the qualifying will take place this weekend and the draw for that is apparently being made Tomorrow.

Postby Roland

So where has it been confirmed that Hendry hasn't entered? All this speculation... I would say from the mention of Ronnie, Selby and Murphy the only thing we can deduce is that Robbo hasn't entered. Why mention Hendry or Allen if you're going to pick out 3 big names to prove the quality of entrants?

Saying that my feeling is Hendry and Ebdon won't show because they were Davison backers. And Ding and Liang will show if they're not taking a holiday in China between seasons because the events are being held at their local.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:So where has it been confirmed that Hendry hasn't entered? All this speculation... I would say from the mention of Ronnie, Selby and Murphy the only thing we can deduce is that Robbo hasn't entered. Why mention Hendry or Allen if you're going to pick out 3 big names to prove the quality of entrants?

Saying that my feeling is Hendry and Ebdon won't show because they were Davison backers. And Ding and Liang will show if they're not taking a holiday in China between seasons because the events are being held at their local.

As well as O'Sullivan, Selby and Murphy, fellow top 16 cuemen Stephen Maguire, Marco Fu, Mark Williams, Ryan Day, Mark King and Graeme Dott will also be at PTC1, competing for their share of the £50,000 prize pot.

no disrespect but why mention King above Hendry ?

Postby Roland

Because he's more likely to progress these days.

No it looks like Hendry, Ding and Allen aren't taking part from that list of names I must admit.

Postby Casey

No mention of Carter either? We don’t know who wrote this so it could just have been a few random names put down to signal a few entrants. By the looks of it we will know tomorrow for sure.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Because he's more likely to progress these days.

No it looks like Hendry, Ding and Allen aren't taking part from that list of names I must admit.

in the World Open promo the 3 players mentioned is

This fantastic and innovative tournament is giving amateur players the chance to rub shoulders with the likes of Ronnie O'Sullivan, Stephen Hendry and Neil Robertson if they can go all the way to the televised stages.

so from that i think its obvious hes not there as a big draw player.

Postby Alex0paul

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Sonny wrote:So where has it been confirmed that Hendry hasn't entered? All this speculation... I would say from the mention of Ronnie, Selby and Murphy the only thing we can deduce is that Robbo hasn't entered. Why mention Hendry or Allen if you're going to pick out 3 big names to prove the quality of entrants?

no disrespect but why mention King above Hendry ?

You would imagine that they are the only top 16 players playing in the event.

Postby N_Castle07

Yes as Wild has mentioned they have also mentioned another 6 players. If Hendry was in this event he would have been mentioned. Most tournament promotions mention Hendry as one of the big names even today in 2010. I think you could be right about Hendry and Ebdon not entering because of backing Davison maybe embarrassment who knows. I must say they has been a lot of talk of Hendry being Anti-Hearn which is not true at all. If you remember Hendry was one of the first to publically back Hearn when he was fist made chairman last year. I think Hendry preferred Davison’s proposal purely because of the games commercial rights being gone forever under Hearn. It is a little disappointing Hendry not entering this event but it is too early to say why maybe Sonny is right maybe Wild is right about a booked holiday who knows. But also as Case mentioned Hendry is on the verge of retirement and he has already proved himself as the greatest player of all time many many many years ago and has proved himself to be a great ambassador for the game.

Postby Casey

In terms of drawing in a crowd Hendry is probably the 3rd biggest in the current top 16...if not the 2nd biggest

Postby Wildey

n castle

Hendry not entering has nothing to do with davison its to do with time of year and as for ebdon only top 16 players been mentioned Ebdon is not a top 16 player so he could be in the event.

Postby Casey

I was reading the downloadable entry form and you can apply to enter the first 4 events now. Obviously the closing dates for the others has not expired but World snooker will know the names of some who have already entered all the events.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:I was reading the downloadable entry form and you can apply to enter the first 4 events now. Obviously the closing dates for the others has not expired but World snooker will know the names of some who have already entered all the events.

if this tournament anything to go by the closing date for PTC2 is 28th of june 12 days before it starts on 9th of july.