Post a reply

Applauding snookers required

Postby The Herminator

I'm calling it. Applauding the snookers required stage is pretentious. In the old days before the earphones it used to be an opportunity for the crowd (particularly at the Crucible) to show how "knowledgeable" they were (still pretentious). Obviously most frames are won from that position but it is quite often that a frame goes on, and very occasionally lost by the player on the table. So what are you applauding exactly?

Applaud a great break, applaud a great shot, applaud a century, applaud actually winning a frame, but to applaud the point where the other player has to technically do something slightly different to win the frame, where it is very likely that the frame is won, but it might not be, and the frame may end soon, but it may not. I don't get it.

Re: Applauding snookers required

Postby davisfan

With you on this one. It's annoying and, as you say, in many cases (probably) pretentious. Like people laughing at Shakespeare comedies, or ostentatiously appreciating (i.e. not laughing at) dreadful performance art. It's in-group signalling, or some such thing.

It's also become a Mindless Sporting Ritual (TM); Something That Is Just Done Without Thinking. Football's got dozens of them. SO annoying.

But the between-every-bucking-frame comfort break annoys me even more than smart-ass applause.

Postby davisfan

Come to think of it, pretty much everything outside the game itself is annoying. Naff and annoying.

Postby Iranu

davisfan wrote:With you on this one. It's annoying and, as you say, in many cases (probably) pretentious. Like people laughing at Shakespeare comedies, or ostentatiously appreciating (i.e. not laughing at) dreadful performance art. It's in-group signalling, or some such thing

Eh? There's plenty of comedy in Shakespeare's plays.

The clapping itself doesn't annoy me so much as the commentators praising the audience when they have earpieces in. Also, having never been to a venue I don't know, do they have the scores on the tvs and the points remaining etc?

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
davisfan wrote:With you on this one. It's annoying and, as you say, in many cases (probably) pretentious. Like people laughing at Shakespeare comedies, or ostentatiously appreciating (i.e. not laughing at) dreadful performance art. It's in-group signalling, or some such thing

Eh? There's plenty of comedy in Shakespeare's plays.

The clapping itself doesn't annoy me so much as the commentators praising the audience when they have earpieces in. Also, having never been to a venue I don't know, do they have the scores on the tvs and the points remaining etc?

Scores, yes. But they don't specify points remaining.

Most people know through commentary earpiece.

Postby Lucky

To be fair the whole snooker audience is a bit of a ropey bunch. Same people every venue, wearing different variations of football tops (shudder......footy top and jeans :tvrky: ) or even printed t-shirts stating their love of snooker or the Rocket. Nutters everyone <ok>

Postby Andre147

I do agree most people who have earpieces only have them to aid them in wathcing snooker, namely when it's frame ball and other important aspects.

I actually never mind people applauind when snookers are already required. Sure, the frame can still be lost like we've seen many times, but the aplause is just like any other, for a good pot, safety etc....

I think you're getting anoyed by something which really is normal. What's not normal is people not applauding when snookers are required, its then when it's kinda awkward watching it.

Postby Dan-cat

Andre147 wrote:I do agree most people who have earpieces only have them to aid them in wathcing snooker, namely when it's frame ball and other important aspects.

I actually never mind people applauind when snookers are already required. Sure, the frame can still be lost like we've seen many times, but the aplause is just like any other, for a good pot, safety etc....

I think you're getting anoyed by something which really is normal. What's not normal is people not applauding when snookers are required, its then when it's kinda awkward watching it.

+1

Postby The Herminator

Andre147 wrote:

Well I wouldn't say I find it annoying :-) but I think it has just become a convention rather than a true appreciation of something good. Anyway what is annoying is Dennis remarking on the knowledgeable crowd when he told them it was frame ball through all their earpieces <doh> . Of course that's only half as annoying as Willie telling jokes and making the crowd laugh while the player is addressing the shot. >-(

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

I don't mind audience participation in potting 'frame ball'. It's a very significant pot in the frame even thou as you say, the frame can still be won by the other player. It's so significant that players in a scrappy frame will pot it with no thought of position so clap away you very knowledgeable crowd!

Postby Iranu

The Herminator wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Well I wouldn't say I find it annoying :-) but I think it has just become a convention rather than a true appreciation of something good. Anyway what is annoying is Dennis remarking on the knowledgeable crowd when he told them it was frame ball through all their earpieces <doh> . Of course that's only half as annoying as Willie telling jokes and making the crowd laugh while the player is addressing the shot. >-(

Yeah the commentators making jokes does annoy me, some of them (coughParrotcough) are clearly desperate the make the audience laugh.

With regard to clapping snookers required, to me it's no different to football fans cheering a goal. Their team might still lose but that doesn't mean it's not worth cheering.

It's not so much about the crowd being knowledgeable, it's more about congratulating the player.

I'd find it really eerie if there was dead silence after potting frame ball!

Postby The Herminator

Iranu wrote:
The Herminator wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Yeah the commentators making jokes does annoy me, some of them (coughParrotcough) are clearly desperate the make the audience laugh.

With regard to clapping snookers required, to me it's no different to football fans cheering a goal. Their team might still lose but that doesn't mean it's not worth cheering.

It's not so much about the crowd being knowledgeable, it's more about congratulating the player.

Ah, but that's my point. It's not necessarily "frame" ball is it? It might or might not be. Still I'm not going to die in a ditch about it. You guys clap away if you want but I do draw the line at clapping when a film ends or a plane lands.
:no:

Postby SnookerFan

The Herminator wrote:
Iranu wrote:
The Herminator wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Ah, but that's my point. It's not necessarily "frame" ball is it? It might or might not be. Still I'm not going to die in a ditch about it. You guys clap away if you want but I do draw the line at clapping when a film ends or a plane lands.

How do you retroactively clap? Can they clap it as frame ball, but only after they know they frame has finished.

Maybe they should cheer; "Got pot, three or four minutes ago......." at the player?

Postby The Herminator

SnookerFan wrote:
The Herminator wrote:
Iranu wrote:
The Herminator wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

How do you retroactively clap? Can they clap it as frame ball, but only after they know they frame has finished.

Maybe they should cheer; "Got pot, three or four minutes ago......." at the player?

That would be funny. But what if it wasn't a good pot, what if it was a fluke? Surely clapping when they actually win the frame covers all that? Anyway we seemed to survive all through the 80s and most of the 90s without it. It's only when the "knowledgeable" Crucible crowd started doing it to show how clever they were that it became a "thing". By the way this whole thing might be jealousy because I can't do the calculations in my head!