Post a reply

Where do you rate Stuart Bingham?

Postby SnookerFan

When Bingham won the Australian Open in 2011, we all thought it'd be his first and last.

Since then he won the Shanghai Masters, big win at The Crucible and last night the Welsh Open.

How do you rate Bingham? Is it time we rated him highly? Probably not amongst the greats, despite The Crucible win.

Mark Allen thinks he has no bottle.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 23 Feb 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Where do you rate Stuart Bibfham?

Postby Cloud Strife

He's alright.

Despite his achievements, not many people think much of him, and it's not difficult to see why. Trump played the worst he played all season last night and still Bingham needed a decider to win.

Postby TheRocket

You have to give him full credit for making the most out of his limited talent. If you compare him to the two other very surprising world champions like Johnson or Dott,then its not hard to see that Bingham has done really well.

Postby SteveJJ

The Saviour has made the definitive response to this (on an unrelated thread).

He claims that although Bingham hasn't won the same number of titles, he is now as much of a household name as Davis, White and Alex Higgins.

Postby gallantrabbit

People are naturally criritcal...I think the main point here is not whether he's in a weak era etc, but how much he's improved and strived to get to where he wants to be. He's improved his all round game and of course mental side tremendously and all players are right to fear him now.
He's a tremendous professional and his performance to win the title in 2015 over the whole tournament and the players he beat was one of the best ever at the crucible.
Will play anywhere, is a great ambassador and while I think the game could do with Trump winning the worlds, it wouldn't bother me to see Stuart win again.

Postby SnookerEd25

I Googled Stuart Bibfham, and turns out he's an Art Director in Lewisham. His colleagues rate him very highly, and he is generally regarded as one of the top 50 Art Designers in Lewisham so high praise indeed there. :clap:

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:I Googled Stuart Bibfham, and turns out he's an Art Director in Lewisham. His colleagues rate him very highly, and he is generally regarded as one of the top 50 Art Designers in Lewisham so high praise indeed there. :clap:

;goodpost:

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

It's funny to compare Bingham to some of the players of a similar age to him who did make the breakthrough at a young age. Like Matthew Stevens who is sixteen months younger than Bingham. By 2005 Stevens had won the UK, the Masters, Scottish masters, reached two other UK finals, two world finals and several semi's. He would have been considered one the elite of the game. Bingham was a journeyman best remembered for beating Hendry and being a World Amateur champ. He had never even been in the top 32. Yet now Bingham will go down as the better player.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:You have to give him full credit for making the most out of his limited talent. If you compare him to the two other very surprising world champions like Johnson or Dott,then its not hard to see that Bingham has done really well.

He's the best of those 2 without a doubt. One of the greatest embassadors for the game, will go anywhere to play Snooker, and burnout certainly not an excuse for him.

He won the World Title that season when he played in every single tournament, had one of the toughest routes to a World Crown and played some great Snooker to win it.

He's not a Robbo, Selby for instance who are far more consistent than him at winning tournamens, but like you say hes done very well to be where he is now.

Postby Iranu

He's a good player, he's just a bit boring. Even when he goes on a run of frames I don't feel blown away. (For comparison, Hawkins in Beast Mode is a lot scarier.)

You can't deny that he's a multiple ranking event winning world champ, though. Have to put him above Dott.

Postby TheSaviour

A good question. It depends much what he decides to do on the table, or to be more precise, what he possibly decides NOT TO DO. If he has a correct mind-set he is certainly a top5- player currently. A top-3 player. Difficult to judge would had there be that same fear-factor playing against him if he would had play like that in the 80s against Steve Davis and cos or in the 90s against Stephen Hendry, Peter Ebdon and John Higgins, for example. Perhaps not.

And then there is a question what fans really want´s to see, how a player handles the physics of the sport. How easy it looks. I have found Stuart Bingham being a guilty of making the game looking far too easy. Because it is not that when you pick up a cue. Stuart plays so fluently and with a rock solid straight lines among the balls that it is almost beyong the joke. When someone like Ricky Walden has a much heavier style and leaving much angle while playing the black, for example. Or Ronnie just rushing it when a seeing a loose red.

Re: Where do you rate Stuart Bingham?

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:Finally got round to changing the title of the thread. For some reason my phone wouldn't let me.

It's been annoying me.

Who's Stuart Bibfham?

Re: Where do you rate Stuart Bingham?

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Finally got round to changing the title of the thread. For some reason my phone wouldn't let me.

It's been annoying me.

Who's Stuart Bibfham?

He's an Art Director in Lewisham, apparently.