Post a reply

Coral Welsh Open last 64 !!!!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Monday 13th of February ~ Sunday 19th of February at the Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff

Only 19 members of the top 32 seeds made it through to the last 64.

John Higgins, Ding Junhui,Mark Williams, Ricky Walden and Joe Perry failed in the opening round but after strugling with his form to beat Liam Highfield World Champion Mark Selby still there as is Masters Champon Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Who will make it to the last 32?

DRAW

Selected Last 64 Matches

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Mark Davis
Mark King v Scott Donaldson
hou Yuelong v Paul Davison
Ross Muir v Marco Fu
Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Ryan Day
Tian Pengfei v Barry Hawkins
Jamie Cope v Anthony Hamilton
Stuart Bingham v Rory McLeod
Liang Wenbo v Michael White
Jamie Jones v Dominic Dale
Igor Figeiredo v Anthony McGill
Shaun Murphy v Josh Boileau
Mark Allen v Boonyarit Keattikun
Mike Dunn v Mark Selby

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Coral Welsh Open last 64 !!!!!

Postby Andre147

Mavis is one of those who could easily surprise Ronnie if he isn't on his game, the bo7 format definately suits him here.

Mavis though has only beaten him once in a match outside the CL, and I don't expect tomorrow that he'll make it 2.

Postby SnookerFan

Jackson Page was mentioned in the sports section of The Metro today. A colleague at work who knows absolutely nothing about snooker just asked me about him.

Got to be a good thing, hasn't it?

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

Neil Robertson ‏@nr147
Crazy and brain dead draw system. 4 amateurs drawn in same quarter so one will be in last 32 guaranteed

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:TWITTER ATTACK!

Neil Robertson ‏@nr147
Crazy and brain dead draw system. 4 amateurs drawn in same quarter so one will be in last 32 guaranteed

Whereas we had matches in the Last 128 opening round like Walden v Dott or Gilbert v Day <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

You always have to be good enough to beat who is put in front of you, can't be worrying if it's a top player or an amateur. Just get on with winning the match. <ok>

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:You always have to be good enough to beat who is put in front of you, can't be worrying if it's a top player or an amateur. Just get on with winning the match. <ok>

But you can't deny there's something wrong with the system if an amateur is garanteed in the Last 32 without facing a seeded player.

Postby SnookerFan

kolompar wrote:Which tournament is he talking about? There were only 4 amateurs here, all in different quarters.

Really? I assumed he meant this one.

Truth be told, I've only watched Robertson vs Jimmy, and half a frame of Selby all week. I assumed that he was referring to this one, and they'd changed the format...

These flat, best of seven tournaments are hella hard to follow.

Postby Andre147

Cloud also mentioned the other day that the format for this event had been changed, but it hasn't. The opening round was played on Monday/Tuesday, and all of the Last 64 played today, with the Last 32 and Last 16 tomorrow.

No diferent to the other Home Nations events.

Postby Andre147

With pink and black left, Maguire needed a snooker, otherwise he would lose 4-1 to Ian Burns.

Got it, and now 3-2 behind.

Postby PoolBoy

kolompar wrote:Which tournament is he talking about? There were only 4 amateurs here, all in different quarters.

I think he means that it COULD have happened - in theory! But it didn't!
There are just the top 16 seeded at this, so the other 112 players are drawn randomly. I mean, the odds of the 4 amateur players coming out of the hat consecutively...the odds are in the millions!

Postby Andre147

Jackson Page is only 15 believe it or not, and he looks older than me and I'm almost 25 lol...
Last edited by Andre147 on 15 Feb 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby kolompar

Oh, I get it. It's good that the lower ranked players don't always have to play a top 16 player, but yes, it's unfair, the old tiered qualifying was a lot better in this respect.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:Jackson Page is only 15 believe it or not, and he looks older than me and I'm almost 25 lol...

Am I the only one who had facial hair when I was 15?

People are going on like it's unheard of....

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:

There are just the top 16 seeded at this, so the other 112 players are drawn randomly. I mean, the odds of the 4 amateur players coming out of the hat consecutively...the odds are in the millions!

So, what's he moaning about then?

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:

So, what's he moaning about then?

It's Robbo :roll:

Postby SnookerEd25

Andre147 wrote:Jackson Page is only 15 believe it or not, and he looks older than me and I'm almost 25 lol...

He looks older than me. And i'm 43. :shrug:

Postby kolompar

SnookerFan wrote:

Am I the only one who had facial hair when I was 15?

People are going on like it's unheard of....

He has a beard, not some peach fuzz moustache like you had.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerEd25 wrote:

He looks older than me. And i'm 43. :shrug:

Maybe he has one of those Nigerian birth certificates. :gag:

Postby Andre147

Trump said it in his post-match interview yesterday, and I for once agree with him: I don't think we'll see a surprise winner in this Home Nations event like Wenbo, Fu and especially King. I think one of the top players like Selby, Trump himself, Robbo or hopefully Ronnie will win it.

Postby Andre147

Plus the Welsh is diferent to all the others, it has history behind it, and that does make a diference in the end.

Postby Iranu

Thorne's obviously had a bet on Walker, then.

Not sure if it's my screen or if Robertson's hair actually is silver-blue highlighted.

Scrappy opening frame, both players making good pots but not taking advantage of them. Neil looks off his game so far.