Post a reply

Re: Ladbrokes World Grand Prix Last 32 !!!

Postby SnookerEd25

Andre147 wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:Interesting discussion there between Foulds and Clive Everton regarding re-racks. They both think that the points already gained, should be carried forward into the re-racked frame.

Got to admit, it's not something I'd really considered before! I suppose it makes sense!

It doesn't because it's a new frame, 0-0 on points.

Also, most re-reracks occur early in the frame when there are a lot of reds still on the table, rendering the score irrelevant. It's not like the referee insisting on a re-rack when one of the players has a substantial lead (as happened to Willie Thorne once <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> rofl rofl rofl )

Postby eraserhead

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:Interesting discussion there between Foulds and Clive Everton regarding re-racks. They both think that the points already gained, should be carried forward into the re-racked frame.

Got to admit, it's not something I'd really considered before! I suppose it makes sense!

It doesn't because it's a new frame, 0-0 on points.

Also, most re-reracks occur early in the frame when there are a lot of reds still on the table, rendering the score irrelevant. It's not like the referee insisting on a re-rack when one of the players has a substantial lead (as happened to Willie Thorne once <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> rofl rofl rofl )

Matt Selt had a re-rack with just the pink and black on the table, but the scores would have been close there.

Postby SnookerFan

eraserhead wrote:Matt Selt had a re-rack with just the pink and black on the table, but the scores would have been close there.

I keep making the same points as other people, who get them in faster. rofl

Postby SnookerFan

LC wrote:Yeah they keep saying this is a BIG tournament, bo7, rubbish crowds, shocking schedule, I'm not convinced

I'd suggest also that there's no real history attached to it either. But depends whether you count this as the same Grand Prix that the BBC used to televise.

Postby TheRocket

So another O'Sullivan-Robertson match (the third this season) then. Ronnie beat him quite comfortably in both matches this season. Especially when he whitewashed Robertson in Romania.

However. Can be a different story this time, especially with the bo7 format. So basicially its 50/50.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:So another O'Sullivan-Robertson match (the third this season) then. Ronnie beat him quite comfortably in both matches this season. Especially when he whitewashed Robertson in Romania.

However. Can be a different story this time, especially with the bo7 format. So basicially its 50/50.

Ronnie still has the edge for me, but it's 60/40 in Ronnie's favour I think.

Robbo beating him wont surprise me of course, but he'll have to play much better than today for sure. Ronnie looks to be cueing really well.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:
Ronnie still has the edge for me, but it's 60/40 in Ronnie's favour I think.

Robbo beating him wont surprise me of course, but he'll have to play much better than today for sure. Ronnie looks to be cueing really well.

Ronnie slight favourite but the bo7 format will definitely suit Robertson. It'll always suit the player with the weaker form. And Robertson knows he can get some revenge here after three quite consecutive losses to Ronnie. And the bo7 format gives him a good opportunity for that.

Ronnie on the other hand can improve his already dominant H2H over Robertson.

In other words. Could be quite important the match tomorrow from a mental perspective, considering when they meet in the bigger matches in the future. Especially for Robertson. Ronnie has owned him recently. So Robertson needs a win over him. Even if its only a bo7 match.

Postby Andre147

I agree even a b07 win could give Robbo the confidence he needs for future bigger tournament meetings.

If Ronnie loses I definately wont lose my sleep over it. I was more gutted last week given his easy draw.

Postby snucar

LC wrote:Yeah they keep saying this is a BIG tournament, bo7, rubbish crowds, shocking schedule, I'm not convinced

Well said. It's sad to see one of the best (if not the best) venues the game has ever seen treated like this. ITV's production values have been extremely awful too. After a couple of good tournaments under their belt, they've gone several steps backwards with this ghost tournament. Hendry looks almost embarrassed at this spectacle. Also, send John McDonald back to darts and change the presenter (nice milfy bird but she clearly doesn't have it) ferchrissake! And someone should cure Foulds' talking diarrhea.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:
Ronnie slight favourite but the bo7 format will definitely suit Robertson. It'll always suit the player with the weaker form. And Robertson knows he can get some revenge here after three quite consecutive losses to Ronnie. And the bo7 format gives him a good opportunity for that.

Ronnie on the other hand can improve his already dominant H2H over Robertson.

In other words. Could be quite important the match tomorrow from a mental perspective, considering when they meet in the bigger matches in the future. Especially for Robertson. Ronnie has owned him recently. So Robertson needs a win over him. Even if its only a bo7 match.

Slight favourite? buck me, I'd be surprised if Robertson wins the coin toss, let alone the match. rofl

Postby SnookerFan

snucar wrote:

Well said. It's sad to see one of the best (if not the best) venues the game has ever seen treated like this. ITV's production values have been extremely awful too. After a couple of good tournaments under their belt, they've gone several steps backwards with this ghost tournament. Hendry looks almost embarrassed at this spectacle. Also, send John McDonald back to darts and change the presenter (nice milfy bird but she clearly doesn't have it) ferchrissake! And someone should cure Foulds' talking diarrhea.

Knowing Hendry, he probably is embarrassed by it. He openly acknowledges he only watched snooker if he is paid to. <laugh>

I do like the ITV coverage though, for the most part. Hendry comes across as a better commentator/pundit on ITV, for some reason. I think it's because he's allowed to phone it in a bit on the BBC, he sometimes does. ITV aim there coverage at people who watch a lot of snooker and BBC just as casuals, so he has to talk more sense on ITV.

Foulds is alright, got nothing against him. You can tell he's a fan of watching the sport, unlike the bellends at the BBC. Clive is Clive, and Angles is inoffensive enough. Jill Douglas clearly isn't the most knowledgeable pundit. but that's not as big an issue for the host. It would be annoying if she was being presented as one of the experts.

The weak link commentary wise is Phil Yates, who is a bit of a idiot. And, as said, Old McDonald as the MC isn't anywhere near as good as Rob Walker.

But overall I don't mind their coverage. Just a shame about the structure of some of their tournaments.

Postby LC

SnookerFan wrote:
snucar wrote:

Knowing Hendry, he probably is embarrassed by it. He openly acknowledges he only watched snooker if he is paid to. <laugh>

I do like the ITV coverage though, for the most part. Hendry comes across as a better commentator/pundit on ITV, for some reason. I think it's because he's allowed to phone it in a bit on the BBC, he sometimes does. ITV aim there coverage at people who watch a lot of snooker and BBC just as casuals, so he has to talk more sense on ITV.

Foulds is alright, got nothing against him. You can tell he's a fan of watching the sport, unlike the bellends at the BBC. Clive is Clive, and Angles is inoffensive enough. Jill Douglas clearly isn't the most knowledgeable pundit. but that's not as big an issue for the host. It would be annoying if she was being presented as one of the experts.

The weak link commentary wise is Phil Yates, who is a bit of a idiot. And, as said, Old McDonald as the MC isn't anywhere near as good as Rob Walker.

But overall I don't mind their coverage. Just a shame about the structure of some of their tournaments.

I must be old but I miss Alan Hughes lol

Postby Cheshire Cat

Little bit of a worrying start for Selbs. He's made a hash of every shot he's played, apart from the first few in the first frame.

Looking like 2-0 Gould.

Postby Pedro147

But surely it's World Snooker who decide the format?

I know BBC have had input over some formats i.e. the UK Championships however that's due to their history with screening snooker and in particular the majors.

I don't see a scenario where ITV could dictate the format to World Snooker as I'm sure Eurosport would easily take the coverage if ITV chose not to.

Although I could be completely wrong!

Postby LC

Pedro147 wrote:But surely it's World Snooker who decide the format?

I know BBC have had input over some formats i.e. the UK Championships however that's due to their history with screening snooker and in particular the majors.

I don't see a scenario where ITV could dictate the format to World Snooker as I'm sure Eurosport would easily take the coverage if ITV chose not to.

I think it is itv that dictates the schedule, that's why there's no play sometimes on a Thursday for football, and this has no play Saturday afternoon for horse racing!

Postby LC

Pedro147 wrote:
LC wrote:Selby moaning about the white? Good too see Gould didn't agree to change he just made a 70 break

What was Selby saying was wrong with the white ball?

He spoke to ref, who then took it match referee, but they didn't change it

Postby SnookerFan

What you must remember is, that ITV4 is a freeview channel. Literally everybody has the channel. That's not the case with Eurosport. So, in that respect they have some leverage with which to dictate television schedules/format changes.

It's not a coincidence that there never used to be play on Thursdays, that was when ITV 4 showed Europa League. It's also not a coincidence that the format of this tournament has changed to fit rounds ITV 4's new horse racing schedule.

Of course ITV4 has input as to what is shown when. If they didn't, the formats wouldn't have changed.

Postby Pedro147

LC wrote:

I think it is itv that dictates the schedule, that's why there's no play sometimes on a Thursday for football, and this has no play Saturday afternoon for horse racing!

Apparently that was at Willie Thorne's request.

Postby Cheshire Cat

Gould should know, with all of his experience, especially knowing that he's playing Mark Selby, that that red was the wrong shot.

Let a big fish off the hook, as the Nugget likes to say.