Post a reply

Ladbrokes World Grand Prix Last 32 !!!

Postby Andre147

Image Image Image
Monday 6th of February ~ Sunday 12th of February at the Preston Guild Hall

There's no time to rest in a hectic February, and the 2nd event of the month sees the best 32 players of the season thus far battle it out for a top prize of £100,000 at this iconic venue for Snooker that has seen so many great champions here.

Last year's event was won by Shaun Murphy in a decider, 10-9 v Stuart Bingham. A few surprising names have made it into this, namely China's Zhou Yuelong, Yan Bingtao, and, perhaps the biggest of them all, Anthony Hamilton, who last Sunday finally after a 26 year career managed to win a ranking event and is seeded as 9th on this one.

A field full of quality, with current World, UK and IC Champion Mark Selby, along with Masters champion Ronnie O'Sullivan, Shanghai Masters winner Ding Junhui, along with the likes of Neil Robertson, Judd Trump, defending champion Shaun Murphy and legends Mark Williams and John Higgins, who shall win their opening match and head into the Last 16?

DRAW

Last 32

Mark Selby v Martin Gould Gould leads 5-4
Joe Perry v Mark Williams Williams leads 10-9
Anthony Hamilton v Mark Allen Allen leads 2-1
Dominic Dale v Liang Wenbo Dale leads 4-3
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Yan Bingtao Never played before
Ricky Walden v Neil Robertson Robertson leads 5-1
Barry Hawkins v Kyren Wilson Hawkins leads 6-3
Tom Ford v Judd Trump Trump leads 6-4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ali Carter v Zhou Yuelong Never played before
Stephen Maguire v Mark King Maguire leads 10-2
Anthony McGill v David Gilbert Gilbert leads 3-1
Jamie Jones v Marco Fu Fu leads 3-2
John Higgins v Michael White Higgins leads 2-1
Ryan Day v Stuart Bingham Bingham leads 9-4
Shaun Murphy v Michael Holt Murphy leads 6-3
Yu Delu v Ding Junhui Tied at 2-2

ORDER OF PLAY

(For viewers outside the UK)

Re: Ladbrokes World Grand Prix Last 32 !!!

Postby Andre147

Why isn't there an afternoon session on Monday?

Play only starts at 7pm...

Such a strange shedulling, can't remember a tournament starting at 7pm the opening day lol...

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:Why isn't there an afternoon session on Monday?

Play only starts at 7pm...

Such a strange shedulling, can't remember a tournament starting at 7pm the opening day lol...

Probably in case the German Masters finalists were scheduled for that first session.

I agree though, odd scheduling.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

ITV now show Horse Racing on Saturday which means that there is no Saturday afternoon sessions anymore. It's the same for the darts events they show. Normally these events begin on a Tuesday afternoon.

Postby TheSaviour

Let´s see if Anthony can build something. That´s what is still a very much required. He cannot just take this granted. He has a good hand to hit the ball. I take it that´s his main weapon. A rock-solid, good hand to hit the ball. Ali´s a good player. You just felt Ali a bit of handed it to Anthony. A too much drama from Ali. He should just try to take it slightly more ease. A too much dramatic sights and voices. But that was the last week. No more from it. I am just telling it will be probably some other top-players which will now run the show. That´s the way it essentially works. Has works for years. Perhaps players do suffer from a fatigue every now and then. Who knows what´s the reason. So far we don´t know of what things do make those tiny physical differences.

Come on Ronnie then??

Postby SnookerFan

Judd Trump is playing Tom Ford tonight, so that'll be the televised match.

Dominic Dale is playing Liang Wenbo also. On a side note, I saw that match in Newport one time. Though it was a best of nine.

Postby Muppet147

SnookerFan wrote:Judd Trump is playing Tom Ford tonight, so that'll be the televised match.

Dominic Dale is playing Liang Wenbo also. On a side note, I saw that match in Newport one time. Though it was a best of nine.

Quest? <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Muppet147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Judd Trump is playing Tom Ford tonight, so that'll be the televised match.

Quest? <ok>

I think it's only the Home Nations events that are on Quest, ie. English Open, Scottish Open etc.

But, as you are no doubt aware, this event is on ITV4, so those of us without Eurosport will still be able to watch.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:

Quest? <ok>

I think it's only the Home Nations events that are on Quest, ie. English Open, Scottish Open etc.

But, as you are no doubt aware, this event is on ITV4, so those of us without Eurosport will still be able to watch.

yup only home nations.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:

Quest? <ok>

yup only home nations.

Whilst we're on the subject, do you know if the Welsh Open is getting on Quest? Or is that still tied to BBC Wales?

Postby Wildey

Pink Ball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:If it's still in Preston next year, I might go there instead of Cardiff. Attending the Guild Hall is still on my bucket list.

It's the best bar the Crucible, can't put my finger on why though because it's a very different venue

It has History

Alex Higgins beating the Nuggett from 7-0 down was electrick

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:If it's still in Preston next year, I might go there instead of Cardiff. Attending the Guild Hall is still on my bucket list.

It's the best bar the Crucible, can't put my finger on why though because it's a very different venue

It has History

Alex Higgins beating the Nuggett from 7-0 down was electrick

I've been there myself and I love the place. The locals really know their stuff too, like Sheffield. For me, they're the standout venues.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:

That's what they say. I've been to the Conference Centre (though only once, so don't really remember it.) Been to The Crucible. Need to get to Preston.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

That's what they say. I've been to the Conference Centre (though only once, so don't really remember it.) Been to The Crucible. Need to get to Preston.

Thinking of going to Preston next year got a lot of expenses this year having new kitchen during the players championship so cant even go to Llandudno but Tickets booked and received for Sheffield

Postby Wildey

motorhead wrote:only one streamed table?

Yea but what they do when one match finished is move the cameras to the other.

i believe there should be scope to do a deal with Eurosport and put the second match on there.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:I'd love to go to the Crucible next year but I've three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?

Keep it in your pants and you wanted have this problem. <ok>

Postby Andre147

masterdoctorgenius wrote:Nothing easy this time around for Ronnie, Andre ;)

Quite right, so the irony being the harder the draw, maybe he'll go further instead of having an easy one like in Germany.

These Best of 7s are a minefield for the top players, i wouldnt be too surprised if Bingtao beat him to be fair... hope not.

Postby motorhead

Wildey wrote:

i believe there should be scope to do a deal with Eurosport and put the second match on there.

Cheers! Ford beat Trump last time the met and he also beat him at WC iirc, would like to see this to a decider.
Last edited by motorhead on 06 Feb 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TheRocket

motorhead wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Cheers! Ford beat Trump last time the meet and he also beat him at WC iirc, would like to see this to a decider.

Ford beat him 10:3 in the 2010 World Championship (last 48) before Trump got the revenge in the 2014 World Championship. But only beating him by 10:8.

So Ford is definitely capable of beating him , especially in those bo7 matches anyone can win.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:Why does this have to be best of 7s? I actually like best of 7s for events with lots of players but I don't see why a 32 man field has to play best of 7s.

I think because of ITV.

ITV4 is supposed to be home of ITV Sports. (Except when a sporting event is deemed big enough to put on the ITV main channel.) So ITV insist on having tournaments structured around their TV viewing schedule. So, like a few years ago, there'd be no play on Thursday because ITV 4 was showing Europa League, ITV are trying to fit the matches in when it's convenient for them.

What with the afternoon off today, presumably to account for the players making their way from Berlin to Preston, and there being no play on Saturday afternoon due to horse racing or whatever, they are just squeezing in matches to whatever coverage they have. Hence best of sevens early on.

I've no idea why everything sporting has to be on ITV 4 though. When ITV technically have five channels they can use. I guess they just want ITV 4 to be the laddish channel, ITVBe to be the reality TV channel and ITV3 to be the channel you only watch occasionally when there's a film on.

Postby Muppet147

SnookerFan wrote:I guess they just want ITV 4 to be the laddish channel, ITVBe to be the reality TV channel and ITV3 to be the channel you only watch occasionally when there's a film on.

Admit it - you watch The Only Way is Essex on ITVBe, don't you? You dream of getting lapdances from Big Fat Gemma.