Post a reply

Best player hasn't won a ranker?

Postby Vallomas

The thread came in my mind on Satruday, when Joe Perry finally managed to win his first ranking event. Considering the length of his career and the talent he has, I think that his name was the first to come in mind of the majority of snooker fans, when this question was asked.

So, who's next now that The Gentleman got rid of this title? My pick is Ryan Day: terrific breakbuilder when in form, played three ranking finals and hasn't won even a PTC tournament!

Discuss.

Re: Best player hasn't won a ranker?

Postby PoolBoy

I'd have to agree with you - Ryan Day is the most obvious candidate.
I've got to say, nearly all the top players have now managed a 'ranker' at least once.
Mark Davis is the only other name that springs to mind - but I can't actually see him ever doing it!

Postby GJ

The Romford Fixor for me :hatoff:

Postby TheSaviour

I am a very glad Joe Perry won yesterday! Espicially well done given how well Mark Williams has been playing recently.

it is interesting when and how different players are going to masters the physics of the game. Now I could think that Matt Selt could well won a ranking title soon. Even if a player would lack something in terms of the tactics, the will of the win or so, they can still master the physics of the game when they are relatively young, and a vice versa. I remember when I was 24-27 years of old and playing quite a lot with a mate 4 years younger than me we were both playing a really, really well in terms of the physics of the game. I won most of the games, which were a very high quality, but the mate of mine played some totally incredibly good and solid clearences a lot. Playing a lot of with side, which looked really good of what sort of bounces he managed to get from the cushions. And still rock solid positioning, always! You don´t see that good staff even in professional snooker. And I wasn´t that much worse either. Mastering the physics of the game was just immense during that time, haven´t managed to play that well much since then. I remember that basically every splitting of the pack from the blue went perfectly right, for example. Those kind of things and form might happen when you are still a relatively young. It felt that it was endless summer during those years when I played with him.

Postby Andre147

Jamie Cope and Ryan Day are for me the best ones never have won a ranker.

Day could do it still if he has a good draw and a purple patch, but Jamie Im afraid is chance is gone, and those health problems he had also played a huge part.

Postby Wildey

Most names mentioned are from this generation but Cliff Wilson was one hell of a potter with one eye he was right up there with the likes of Neil Robertson when it came to potting balls. he played for fun when the Snooker Boom ignited and still reached the top 16.

Basically he was a few Generations too early.

Postby armchair de critique

Wildey wrote:Most names mentioned are from this generation but Cliff Wilson was one hell of a potter with one eye he was right up there with the likes of Neil Robertson when it came to potting balls. he played for fun when the Snooker Boom ignited and still reached the top 16.

he was entertaining for sure <ok>

Postby SnookerEd25

armchair de critique wrote:
Wildey wrote:Most names mentioned are from this generation but Cliff Wilson was one hell of a potter with one eye he was right up there with the likes of Neil Robertson when it came to potting balls. he played for fun when the Snooker Boom ignited and still reached the top 16.

he was entertaining for sure <ok>

Cliff Wilson :hatoff:

Postby Dan-cat

He was brilliant even when he did come back. His popular exhibitions went under the banner "You've never seen anything like it!"

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:

He was brilliant even when he did come back. His popular exhibitions went under the banner "You've never seen anything like it!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2ITgzK-HMo

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2ITgzK-HMo

I thought that was gonna be some fabulous Cliff Wilson shots :grrr:

Postby mick745

I think the only top 32 players not to have won a full ranking event are Milkins, Mark Davis, Selt, Wollaston, Brecel, Day, Holt and Gilbert. Clearly time is running out for Milkins, Davis and Day. I suspect that Brecel, Wollaston and Gilbert might well do it eventually. However, it may be one or more of the young Chinese players coming through begin to dominate cutting off the chances of those yet to win one.

Postby Vallomas

Ryan Day, my pick when I opened this thread, is still waiting for his turn...

Mark Davis, Joe Swail (could he, really?) could also be in the list. Rob Milkins would be another candidate a few years ago, but it seems that he's gone this season. Michael Holt, David Gilbert, Tom Ford, Jamie Jones from the 30+ are also good players, but need consistency. I don't know.

Postby eraserhead

Vallomas wrote:Ryan Day, my pick when I opened this thread, is still waiting for his turn...

Mark Davis, Joe Swail (could he, really?) could also be in the list. Rob Milkins would be another candidate a few years ago, but it seems that he's gone this season. Michael Holt, David Gilbert, Tom Ford, Jamie Jones from the 30+ are also good players, but need consistency. I don't know.

I was going to comment that you don't need a consistency but stick in for a good draw, but Hamilton had anything but that and still managed to win.

Funny thing is when I first started posting here Hamilton had just started to look good again and I remember you mentioning it!

Vallomas wrote:What happened to Anthony Hamilton? It seems that he plays like a proper pro again.

From the German masters qualifiers in 2015! Serendipitous!

Postby Vallomas

Correct!

I remember me posting this, that day Anthony won a match after a dreadful season when he lost a match even to Ahmed Saif! But the big boost to find again his confidence was for sure the win over Bingham in 2016 Welsh Open, with that epic 72 clearance in the winning frame.

Postby kolompar

Greats like Mark Davis, Michael Holt and David Gilbert have all been mentioned a few times now. Surely we haven't missed anyone?

Postby Alex0paul

kolompar wrote:Greats like Mark Davis, Michael Holt and David Gilbert have all been mentioned a few times now. Surely we haven't missed anyone?

In 10 years time when they reach their peak they'll be sharing the big titles between them.

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:
kolompar wrote:Greats like Mark Davis, Michael Holt and David Gilbert have all been mentioned a few times now. Surely we haven't missed anyone?

In 10 years time when they reach their peak they'll be sharing the big titles between them.

Don't hate. Appreciate.