Post a reply

Re: Farcical line up for the Shoot Out

Postby SnookerFan

I don't really care anyway. This has always been a boring-ass event. There's never been anything even remotely entertaining about it.

Even if there had been, I wouldn't watch on principle now. This being a ranking event is a disgrace.

Postby PoolBoy

I see Igor has entered!

A long way to come from Brazil for maybe just one single 10 minute frame!
There's no prize money for losing in the first round, and only £500 for losing in round 2.

Even winning £1,000 for reaching the 3rd round would probably be swallowed-up with the cost of a return flight, hotel accommodation and food etc.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:I don't really care anyway. This has always been a boring-ass event. There's never been anything even remotely entertaining about it.

Even if there had been, I wouldn't watch on principle now. This being a ranking event is a disgrace.

But the players are going to be mic'ed this time!

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:But the players are going to be mic'ed this time!

rofl rofl

Shaun Murphy spending the whole frame discussing kicks. Mark Allen moaning on about how much he hates Mark Joyce, despite playing somebody else.

Yeah, I'll pass.

Postby PoolBoy

The players who are 'skipping' this event:

Mark Selby
John Higgins
Judd Trump
Ding Junhui
Neil Robertson
Marco Fu
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Ali Carter
Stephen Maguire
Peter Ebdon
Yu Delu
Jamie Burnett (has retired anyway, it seems)
James Wattana (not an 'official' Tour pro anyway)
Kritsanut Lertsattayatthorn (name is too long to fit on his polo-shirt) (Ok, I made that up!)
Rouzi Maimaiti (doesn't enter many tournaments)
Leo Fernandez (suspended)

15 'amateur' players added to top-up the draw. Technically, they're only 7 frames away from winning a ranker!
In this format, there's got to be a chance that an amateur could go far.

But, yeah, a lot of the big names will be missing.

Postby eraserhead

SnookerFan wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:But, yeah, a lot of the big names will be missing.

The biggest being Kritsanut Lertsattayatthorn.

:goodpost:

Should have always been a bit of fun nothing more.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The top-up players can't receive ranking points or get on the ranking list right? Because it would be pretty funny if in it's first year as a ranking event it was won by someone who doesn't have one.

Postby eraserhead

SnookerFan wrote:
eraserhead wrote: :goodpost:

It was hardly even ever that.

No but it's the best reason for it's existence, giving it ranking status is absurd and I'm glad quite a few top players are giving it a miss.

Shaun Murphy and Mark Allen both want shot clocks so no surprise they're in, this is probably Binghams best chance at another ranking win. ;-)

Postby SnookerFan

eraserhead wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
eraserhead wrote: :goodpost:

It was hardly even ever that.

No but it's the best reason for it's existence, giving it ranking status is absurd and I'm glad quite a few top players are giving it a miss.

Shaun Murphy and Mark Allen both want shot clocks so no surprise they're in, this is probably Binghams best chance at another ranking win. ;-)

I've actually spoken to them both on Twitter about that. rofl

Shaun Murphy was banging on his usual nonsense, saying that shot clocks were a necessity. I told him I paid hundreds of pounds a year travelling round to watch snooker, and I'd stop going completely if ranking events started having shot clocks.

Anyway, Mark Allen got involved. Despite nobody actually asking his opinion, and started saying; "We all know what sort of players you go to see though, don't we?" I think he was trying to imply I only go and see the Ronnies and the Judds of the world. I made it very clear to him though that I have seen the majority of players on tour at one point or another, including Peter Ebdon and Rory McLeod (twice.)

To be fair, the Ebdon concluding session was 2:30pm at The Crucible, and didn't finish on time so he had to come back at 10pm when another match finished. So I watched the last frames in the hotel bar. <laugh> But the point was, I didn't want that little bellend telling me we should have shot clocks, just because he assumed he knew what sort of matches I brought tickets too. <laugh>

Or, to put it in another way, Murphy and Allen talk marmite.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Yes I enjoyed that particular spat!

I remember him making some boast that he was an exciting player to watch, and always gave the fans value for money.

I had typed out a response that I'd been at his 2015 Masters match with Joe Perry, which was amongst the most boring matches I've ever had to watch.

I didn't bother to post it, I thought he wasn't really worth getting that upset about. rofl

Postby TheSaviour

Never mind who are absent. Enough (and even too much) quality still to have a cracking contest and a party. Some wise people used to say that in order to get through a cold year here up north one needs to have a sense of humour and some booze. So those are similar. It is just not humour what makes you feel warm but booze also. I don´t know if that´s the truth or not. Might be.

I hate to start posting as "Simon says....". But Simon says this will be a good and entertaining contest. Some top players probably just did a favour when they dropped out of this. Now some other people have an opportunity to show what they can do.