Post a reply

Best player not to have won a 'Triple Crown' event

Postby thecueview

When Joe Perry was 4-1 on Ronnie in last week's Masters final it looked as if he may win his first 'Triple Crown' title.

It got me thinking of who is the best player -past and present, without a UK, Masters or World Championship (maybe because the BBC mentioned the big 3 a lot during their coverage).

Looking at the current top 16, I wondered whether the next 'new' winner of a TC event would come from that group or outside of it. Could it be someone like a Brecel or one of the Chinese youngsters.

For me, looking in the past, Eddie Charlton and Stephen Lee have to be up there for me.

I did an article for my website too. I hope you enjoy it...

http://www.thecueview.com/md-s-blog---t ... rauma.html

I'd be interested to know who you think is the best without one of those titles, and who will be the next.

Re: Best player not to have won a 'Triple Crown' event

Postby PoolBoy

Great blog - as always!

This is an interesting question....and after some deliberation, I've opted for Stephen Lee.

Despite his 10-year-ban, the titles he won remain in the record book, and it's on the basis of those that he's my pick.
Looking at the 'list of multiple ranking wins (without having a Triple Crown victory)', there are 9 players:

1. Stephen Lee 5
2. Ali Carter 4
3 = Mark Allen 3
3 = Marco Fu 3
3 = Ricky Walden 3
3 = James Wattana 3
7 = Dominic Dale 2
7 = Barry Hawkins 2
7 = Tony Knowles 2

Postby Johnny Bravo

I would have loved Stephen Lee to win one, the man had a superb cue action.
IMO his weight got in the way.
I also think he didn't deserve such a long ban, especially considering the fact that that runt Higgins got away with it when the whole world saw him on tape.

Postby Pink Ball

PoolBoy wrote:Higgins didn't 'throw' any matches, nor did he have any intention of doing so.
He was found not guilty of match fixing. The end.

Woah, woah, woah Sonny Jim, he was given a six month suspension for a combination of not reporting the incident, and 'giving the impression he would fix matches.'

But his offence was relatively small in comparison to Lee's. Lee deserved a ban matching his gargantuan girth.

Postby Johnny Bravo

PoolBoy wrote:I understand that, but 'giving the impression' he would fix matches and 'intending' to fix matches are very different.
Higgins was cleared of match fixing and intending to match fix.

The tape was edited to show Higgins in a bad light.
This article helps to clear-up many of the questions.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/201 ... ry-210901/

Higgins was too big of a scalp not to be cleared. And I don't care if the tape was edited, we could all clearly see that he intended to do it. Only a moron would believe this bull about him being scared and agreeing to it in order to escape. Just take a look at his facial expression, does he look scared ?!? ;-) :no: :hmmm:

IMO that newspaper made a big mistake by revealing the tape and not carrying the plan further. I'm willing to best my house he would have done it.

As 4 Stephen Lee, I din't see any evidence of him doing it.

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:I understand that, but 'giving the impression' he would fix matches and 'intending' to fix matches are very different.
Higgins was cleared of match fixing and intending to match fix.

The tape was edited to show Higgins in a bad light.
This article helps to clear-up many of the questions.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/201 ... ry-210901/

Higgins was too big of a scalp not to be cleared. And I don't care if the tape was edited, we could all clearly see that he intended to do it. Only a moron would believe this bull about him being scared and agreeing to it in order to escape. Just take a look at his facial expression, does he look scared ?!? ;-) :no: :hmmm:

IMO that newspaper made a big mistake by revealing the tape and not carrying the plan further. I'm willing to best my house he would have done it.

As 4 Stephen Lee, I din't see any evidence of him doing it.

I'm starting to think, with good reason, you are a cat who has learned to type from watching humans do so.

I won't call you stupid, because, for a cat, you can be considered exceptionally intelligent. But, in comparison to a human, you still have much to learn.

Postby Andre147

Best player for me is Fu. Don't care if Lee had more ranking wins than him, when Fu is at his very best, he can beat anyone, plus his record against the real top players is way better than Lee's.

I watched Lee when he was at his peak or near it, but it doesn't make me think he's the best player never to win it, because that player is Fu hands down. Lee comes in 2nd place for me,closely followed by Carter.