Post a reply

In 10 years time.....

Postby sas6789

Do you think players will be winning tournaments in their 50s and 60s? It wouldn't surprise me the way the games going at the mo.

Re: In 10 years time.....

Postby Andre147

sas6789 wrote:Do you think players will be winning tournaments in their 50s and 60s? It wouldn't surprise me the way the games going at the mo.

In 10 years time hopefully it's Ronnie who's winning titles in his 50s <ok>

Postby Alex0paul

The game peaked in the 90s early 00s and we've been gradually going backwards. There is nothing coming through in the UK mainly since Hearn killed the amateur game.

The standard of break building may be at an all time high due to generous table conditions but the standard of match play is shocking.

Postby Cloud Strife

Ronnie is the only who would have a shot at it if he's still around by then.

I have to agree with Alex, though. The quality of 'new talent' coming through or lack of is shocking.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Even if no young players come through there could be a tipping point when certain players are past it and those 10-15 year younger could benefit. Who will be better, a 51 year old Ronnie, a 43 year old Selby, a 40 year old Allen or a 31 year old Luca Brecel.

Postby PoolBoy

Am I right in thinking that Ray Reardon is the oldest winner of a ranking event?

He turned 50 just a few days before he beat Jimmy White 10-5 in the final of a ranker in 1982.

So, a ranker at 50 is possible, but I'd certainly rule-out mid-50s or later - simply because of diminishing eye-sight, stamina and motivation.

Postby Dan-cat

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Even if no young players come through there could be a tipping point when certain players are past it and those 10-15 year younger could benefit. Who will be better, a 51 year old Ronnie, a 43 year old Selby, a 40 year old Allen or a 31 year old Luca Brecel.

Luca might have learnt some safety shots by then.

Postby Pink Ball

In 1997, Steve Davis won The Masters at age 39. It was considered a sensational result, one for the romantics.

Last week, a 42-year-old played a 41-year-old in a major final. It's now more odd to see fellas in their 20s in ranking finals than fellas in their 30s. In terms of young talent, Snooker has never been at such a low ebb; it's disastrous.

Granted, Ronnie O'Sullivan is the greatest 40+ year old player we've seen by a distance, but the lack of young talent has helped his cause too.

Snooker's at crisis point in this regard. It's probably down to a combination of that lack of interest that was there during the noughties and mistreatment of the amateur game.

All things considered, Ronnie O'Sullivan could well be the first man to win a ranking title in his 50s.

Postby sas6789

Cloud Strife wrote:Ronnie is the only who would have a shot at it if he's still around by then.

I have to agree with Alex, though. The quality of 'new talent' coming through or lack of is shocking.

I wouldn't' rule out Higgins either.

Postby mick745

There seems to be a 'lost' generation of those born after the mid-80s. We have not had a world champion yet born after 1990. Most of the top 16 have been there for a considerable time. No one will be watching if those same old faces are still knocking balls around in their late 40s and 50s, the game will die.

There do seem to be some decent youngsters coming through, but not from UK. One of the best things that could happen is an overseas winner of the WC, especially if one from continental Europe. Followed by Thai and Chinese winners.

All sports need 'stories' of youngsters coming through to challenge the old guard. Even players we think are relatively young still are in their mid 30s such as Murphy, Selby and Robertson.

Who will be the first player born after 1990 to be World Champion? It occurred to me that Yan Bingtao has until 2037 to win the WSC at a younger age than Bingham managed.

The next new WSC champion may not be on the circuit yet. Is it even possible to win it now before you are 25?

Postby Johnny Bravo

Alex0paul wrote:The game peaked in the 90s early 00s and we've been gradually going backwards. There is nothing coming through in the UK mainly since Hearn killed the amateur game.

The standard of break building may be at an all time high due to generous table conditions but the standard of match play is shocking.

The early 90's was the weakest era in history.
The early 00's was a great era, but IMO the best one was from around 2009 to 2014.

A 2012-2013 Ronnie would beat any other form of himself, probably even a 2004 form. Most of you would disagree and from a certain perspective you'd be right. In terms of potting balls, Ronnie was much better in 2004, but when it comes to safety and tactical play, and especially mental toughness, Ronnie has never been better than he has in the last 5 years.

Postby Johnny Bravo

PoolBoy wrote:Am I right in thinking that Ray Reardon is the oldest winner of a ranking event?

He turned 50 just a few days before he beat Jimmy White 10-5 in the final of a ranker in 1982.

So, a ranker at 50 is possible, but I'd certainly rule-out mid-50s or later - simply because of diminishing eye-sight, stamina and motivation.

The standard was different back then. I doubt someone could win a ranker in their 50's, I don't even see Ronnie doing it, if he's even gonna play for that long.

Postby Johnny Bravo

[/quote] I wouldn't' rule out Higgins either.[/quote]

Higgins has been putting weight for quite some time now, I don't think he'll stand the slightest of chances when he'll turn 50.

Postby Johnny Bravo

As 4 new youngsters, there are plenty of talented ones.
IMO they don't seem to be putting in the hours in practice.
I've seen some terrific potters, but their safety and tactical play is not quite up there with the generation of 30+ players (Robertson, Selby, Murphy, Carter, Hawkins, Allen) or 40+ players (Ronnie, Higgins, Perry, Bingham)

IMO Zhao Xintong will be a world champion one day if he carries on the way he did this season. He's a phenomenal talent.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:If 2009 to 2014 was snooker's strongest era, then I am a little pixie boy who delivers vases and standardised letters of congratulations to newly married couples.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you consider 2000 to 2005 to be the strongest era, since you had the likes of Hendry, Ronnie, Higgins, Williams, Hunter competing for titles.
While you may have a point, I believe this is not the case.

IMO while these 5 men played great back then, but not all of them were at their peak.
Most think Ronnie was at his absolute best in 2004 and Higgins in 1998, but I consider the 2012/2013 Ronnie and the 2010/2011 Higgins to be better cause they were a lot stronger mentally and better all-round players.

Plus they had much tougher competition. Peak Roberston is a match for any player in history. Selby is also very tough to beat. You also have the likes of Murphy, Trump, Ding, Allen, Hawkins, Fu, Carter.

Postby Johnny Bravo

sas6789 wrote:1997-2004 was snooker's strongest era easily and anyone who thinks otherwise knows nothing about snooker frankly.

Snooker's standard in depth was not quite as high, except for the top players.

Postby Alex0paul

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:If 2009 to 2014 was snooker's strongest era, then I am a little pixie boy who delivers vases and standardised letters of congratulations to newly married couples.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you consider 2000 to 2005 to be the strongest era, since you had the likes of Hendry, Ronnie, Higgins, Williams, Hunter competing for titles.

IMO while these 5 men played great back then, but not all of them were at their peak.
Most think Ronnie was at his absolute best in 2004 and Higgins in 1998, but I consider the 2012/2013 Ronnie and the 2010/2011 Higgins to be better cause they were a lot stronger mentally and better all-round players.

Plus they had much tougher competition. Peak Roberston is a match for any player in history. Selby is also very tough to beat. You also have the likes of Murphy, Trump, Ding, Allen, Hawkins, Fu, Carter.

Hendry, Williams, O'Sullivan, Higgins, Stevens, Lee, Ebdon, Doherty, White, McManus, Dott snake hiss all over those players.

Postby mick745

I remember during one of the BBC (may even have been the Grand Prix/LG cup) tournaments about ten years ago the 'experts' each predicting who would be in the top 16 in ten years time. I can't remember the exact details but every single 'expert' predicted Shaun Murphy to be No. 1!

Not quite worked out that way but just shows the dangers of trying to make predictions. But one thing is for sure, eventually somebody will come along who will match or surpass the current records. They may be the outstanding player in a mediocre era or somebody that takes the sport to greater heights. We'll have to wait and see.

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:I remember during one of the BBC (may even have been the Grand Prix/LG cup) tournaments about ten years ago the 'experts' each predicting who would be in the top 16 in ten years time. I can't remember the exact details but every single 'expert' predicted Shaun Murphy to be No. 1!

Not quite worked out that way but just shows the dangers of trying to make predictions. But one thing is for sure, eventually somebody will come along who will match or surpass the current records. They may be the outstanding player in a mediocre era or somebody that takes the sport to greater heights. We'll have to wait and see.

I think that might have been at The Crucible. Most of them said the top 16 would be 50% Chinese too.

Postby sas6789

Johnny Bravo wrote:

This shows how much you know about snooker which is buck all, you should stick netball sonny Jim.

Postby vodkadiet

Jimmy White will still be claiming "I'm flying in practice, it is only a matter of time before I win 3 straight world titles."