Post a reply

Eurosport disappearing from Sky?

Postby SnookerFan

What is changing?

From 1 February, Discovery Communications’ portfolio of channels are unlikely to be available in Sky TV packages.

Which channels does this include?

In the UK and Ireland, this includes Animal Planet, Discovery HD, Discovery History, Discovery Home & Health, Discovery Science, Discovery Shed, Discovery Turbo, DMAX, Eurosport1, Eurosport2, Investigation Discovery, Quest and TLC.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/chang ... el_changes

:shock:

Re: Eurosport disappearing from Sky?

Postby Cloud Strife

I think this is another victim of the massive overpayment Sky made for the Premier League football rights. Obviously they're having to cutback on other areas now.

Postby SnookerFan

Shaun Murphy seems to be answering any question that was thrown to him on Twitter. So, I asked what he thought.

Shaun Murphy ‏@Magician147
Didn't know anything about it

<laugh>

Postby SteveJJ

SnookerFan wrote:Shaun Murphy seems to be answering any question that was thrown to him on Twitter. So, I asked what he thought.

<laugh>

Wow you've found the one thing he hasn't got an opinion on....yet

Postby Wildey

" At any point, from 1 February, Discovery may remove them from the Sky platform.

the May remove them is key.

no guarantee that they will.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:" At any point, from 1 February, Discovery may remove them from the Sky platform.

the May remove them is key.

no guarantee that they will.

No. And even if they do vanish, they may come back at a later date.

Sky is always falling out with people over money. I remember when I first signed up with Virgin Media, I didn't get Sky One. Or Sky Sports News. (Or probably any Sky channel.) Richard Branson had had a falling out with Sky. A couple of months later, they reappeared on my box. They'd sorted their dispute out.

This may amount to nothing, as I suspect Discovery Communications want their channels widely available. May well cut a last minute deal. But I do thin the people who use Sky should be aware of it. Even if the channels disappear for a few weeks, i is the few weeks that the German Masters and Welsh Open will be on.

Postby SnookerFan

Definite attempts at scaremongering from the Discovery team / Eurosport team.

They tweeted this;

Eurosport UK ‏@Eurosport_UK
We believe it’s wrong for Sky to charge you more and offer you less. Make your voice heard! Tweet @SkyHelpTeam #KeepDiscovery

And posted this photo. Image

<laugh>

Trying to get Sky worried by scaring their customers, by the look at it.

Postby Cheshire Cat

I remember when we first got Sky installed many moons ago, and the kids channels made my childhood. It's a colossal rip off nowadays though.

I use the Eurosport player, mostly on my phone, and it's great. Understandable though that some people have to / prefer to watch it on television, it'd be unfortunate if it went.

Postby Lucky

If you go on the sky website and sign in, it says that it us unlikely that you will receive these channels after 1st February. It sounds like that's that for eurosport on sky.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Reading threads about this on other forums Snooker get's mentioned a lot. Generally people wondering how Hearn would react having singed a deal with Eurosport and possibly getting only a fraction of it's previous audience.

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Reading threads about this on other forums Snooker get's mentioned a lot. Generally people wondering how Hearn would react having singed a deal with Eurosport and possibly getting only a fraction of it's previous audience.

He's seemed particularly quiet on this issue, hasn't he?

Postby mick745

Has to be bad news for snooker's exposure in Europe which was a rapidly growing market. Also knock on effect with value of sponsorships and advertisements. Eurosport have paid a lot for olympic coverage from 2018 and Wimbledon and feel justified in now charging more for their channels. But bad news for snooker.

Postby Dan-cat

Sky has entered into last-minute negotiations with Eurosport owner Discovery in an attempt to keep its portfolio of channels on the platform.

Eurosport, which holds the UK broadcast rights to three of the four tennis Grand Slams, is due to be pulled from Sky at midnight tonight if a new carriage deal cannot be reached.

Discovery has been attempting to negotiate an increase in the amount it receives from Sky for carrying its portfolio of channels, which also includes Discovery Channel, Animal Planet and TLC.

Sky has reportedly refused to bow to the demands and as a result, all of the Discovery-owned channels will disappear when the current arrangement expires on Wednesday.

According to industry publication Campaign, the two parties have begun "last-ditch peace talks" today in order to keep the channels on air.

Discovery has urged its viewers to tweet Sky with the hashtag #KeepDiscovery to demonstrate the popularity of its channel lineup.

www.sportsmole.com

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Sky has entered into last-minute negotiations with Eurosport owner Discovery in an attempt to keep its portfolio of channels on the platform.

Eurosport, which holds the UK broadcast rights to three of the four tennis Grand Slams, is due to be pulled from Sky at midnight tonight if a new carriage deal cannot be reached.

Discovery has been attempting to negotiate an increase in the amount it receives from Sky for carrying its portfolio of channels, which also includes Discovery Channel, Animal Planet and TLC.

Sky has reportedly refused to bow to the demands and as a result, all of the Discovery-owned channels will disappear when the current arrangement expires on Wednesday.

According to industry publication Campaign, the two parties have begun "last-ditch peace talks" today in order to keep the channels on air.

Discovery has urged its viewers to tweet Sky with the hashtag #KeepDiscovery to demonstrate the popularity of its channel lineup.

http://www.sportsmole.com

:hatoff:

Postby Dan-cat

This doesn't affect me...I use the Eurosport player from my macbook connected to a Samsung TV with an HDMI cable. Or if it's a big match, through a projector :)

However, if Sky dump Eurosport, could be big repercussions

Postby motorhead

SteveJJ wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Shaun Murphy seems to be answering any question that was thrown to him on Twitter. So, I asked what he thought.

<laugh>

Wow you've found the one thing he hasn't got an opinion on....yet
<laugh>