Post a reply

China Open Last 128 !!!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Tuesday 24th ~ Friday 27th of January at the Guild Hall, Preston

This year Judd Trump will be defending the title the second time he has won this tournament after his inaugral ranking title win back in 2011.

Judd Trump as well as World Champion Mark Selny and the top 2 chinese players Ding Junhui and Liang Wenbo will be missing from Preston and their matches will be carried over to Beijing in March.

Itaro Santos who has not made a great staart to his pro carrier will be at the Venue playing Liang Wenbo.

Seaan O'Sullivan will be playing Ding Junhui, Jason Weston will play defending Champion Judd Trump and Adam Stefanow one of only 6 Amataurs in the draw will be in Beijing playing Mark Selby.

Who will join thoes 8 players at the venue?

DRAW

Selected Last 128 Matches

Anthony McGill v Peter Lines
Martin Gould v Lee Walker
Luca Brecel v Andy Hicks
Kurt Maflin v Adam Duffy
Ben Woollaston v Igor Figueiredo
Dechawat Poomjaeng v Hossein Vafaei Ayouri
Gary Wilson v Duane Jones
Sam Baird v Jimmy White
Michael Holt v Liam Highfield
Oliver Lines v Zhang Anda
Mark J Williams v Zhao Xintong
Mark Davis v Yan Bingtao
Stuaart Bingham v James Wattana
Chris Wakelin v Scott Donaldson
Kyren Wilson v Michael Georgiou
Xiao Guodong v John Astley
Ronnie O'Sullivan v James Cahill
Marco Fu v Daniel Wells
Rod Lawler v Jamie Cope
Barry Hawkins v Aditya Mehta
Fergal O'Brien v Nigel Bond
Jimmy Robertson v Caao Yupeng
Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Martin O'Donnell

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: China Open Last 128 !!!!

Postby snookerguy

Reminder that parallel predictions for this need to be in before the L128 stage.

Postby Alex0paul

Wonder if Selby will give it a miss again

Postby mick745

Dechawat Poomjaeng v Hossein Vafaei Ayouri is an interesting one. Ayouri has got himself into contention of remaining on the tour via the one year list while Dechawat is in danger of falling outside top 64. Winnable match for both i feel.

Postby PoolBoy

Igor Figueiredo v Ben Woollaston is another interesting match!
With 60 matches to be played over the next few days, there are bound to be a few shocks!

Postby Andre147

Alex0paul wrote:Wonder if Selby will give it a miss again

If he didn't want to play he would have already withdraw like he did last year.

The fact that he didn't tells me he will travel to China and compete.

Postby mick745

Chinese teenagers watch:

Mark J Williams v Zhao Xintong
Mark Davis v Yan Bingtao
Zhou Yuelong v Michael Wild

Xintong destroyed John Higgins 5-1 in the German Masters qualifying. Can he upset Williams?
Bingtao has already accrued nearly £40k in his debut season at the age of 16, will he beat the vastly experienced Davis? He managed to in the International Open Quals 6-2.

Big match also for Akani Songsermsawad v Alfie Burden, Alfie may be one of those looking over their shoulder and in danger of dropping out the 64 while Akani is No. 1 on the 1 year money list for a new two year card.

Excited about the Songsermsawad v Xintong match in L32 of German Masters - hope its on a TV table!

Postby PoolBoy

Didn't take long for the first surprise scoreline!

Jamie Jones 3-5 Eden Sharav

Very good victory for the Scot.

Postby eraserhead

Wonder if Barry's been affected by that masters loss, looks to have gone out to Aditya Mehta barring snookers.

Postby PoolBoy

eraserhead wrote:Wonder if Barry's been affected by that masters loss, looks to have gone out to Aditya Mehta barring snookers.

And he HAS gone out! Losing 2-5 to Aditya Mehta!!!

No 'hangover' from Joe Perry, however. He breezed through, 5-0, against Welshman, David John.

It's a big tournament, in its own right - the China Open - but, as it comes directly before Sheffield, is inevitably looked at as a massive opportunity to gain momentum for the Worlds.
Not good for Barry to be missing this one!

(although Selby 'skipped' it last season and then won at the Crucible!)

Postby PoolBoy

mick745 wrote:Dear oh dear Luca

This 'should' have been a bread-and-butter qualifying game for Luca Brecel!
He's SO inconsistent. Losing to a 'non-tour' player here is very poor. :-(

Postby Wildey

PoolBoy wrote:
mick745 wrote:Dear oh dear Luca

This 'should' have been a bread-and-butter qualifying game for Luca Brecel!
He's SO inconsistent. Losing to a 'non-tour' player here is very poor. :-(

Andy Hicks is no push over i had that match as 50/50 and was not surprised Luca Lost.

Postby mick745

If Luca's ever going to push on further he needs to win those games. There is a reason Hicks dropped off the tour after all.

Postby Wildey

mick745 wrote:If Luca's ever going to push on further he needs to win those games. There is a reason Hicks dropped off the tour after all.

i agree totally point is though expecting Luca to do it is unrealistic of what ive seen of him therefor Hicks beating him was not a shock

Postby TheSaviour

Yes a winnable match to Jimmy. But only if he plays well. One thing about these matches is if there are optimal circumstances. Anyone has to have a full respect if there are optimal circumstances. Playing against a tough match player hardly never produces those optimals. Anyone falters under the poor circumstances. If there are consistently difficult position of the balls it is just too much. Players have a great memories if for example Jimmy always splits the balls perfectly, misses just a pot, and leaves it to you. That means they really fancies the job next time they play against Jimmy. Fancies the job and at the same time consider Jimmy as their best mate.

Postby SnookerEd25

TheSaviour wrote:Yes a winnable match to Jimmy. But only if he plays well. One thing about these matches is if there are optimal circumstances. Anyone has to have a full respect if there are optimal circumstances. Playing against a tough match player hardly never produces those optimals. Anyone falters under the poor circumstances. If there are consistently difficult position of the balls it is just too much. Players have a great memories if for example Jimmy always splits the balls perfectly, misses just a pot, and leaves it to you. That means they really fancies the job next time they play against Jimmy. Fancies the job and at the same time consider Jimmy as their best mate.

So what you're saying is - the cream will always rise to the top. Right?

Postby eraserhead

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Thor Chuan Leong arrived late for the start of his match

Interestingly, Thor was famously the least punctual of all the Greek gods. Tardy Thor they called him.

Thor was norse but i'd hate to knoow zeus's rep was like after what he did with that swan.

Postby PoolBoy

Graeme Dott's become a bit of a peripheral figure these days - seems an age since he had a good run in a competition!

Obviously not the force he was. He never got the acclaim he deserved when he was in his prime. 3 World finals (including being World Champion) in 7 seasons is no fluke.

Mark Williams has been in no more Crucible finals than Dott. And he is fawned over by many...

Dott clearly had all the right attributes to reach 3 Crucible finals - tactical awareness, sound safety, obvious break-building ability and a cool temperament, yet the word 'gritty' is all he's ever described as.

But, a player needs more than just 'grit' to win all 3 of his 33-frame, single-table, Crucible semi-finals!

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:Dott's problem is that he changed his game to be seen as more exciting by idiots. He was a bucking good player, one of my favourites.

He should have ignored the critics - he was the toughest son of a lovely lady I ever saw on a table.

I agree, I also always loved his grit and determination.

However as PollBoy mentions to put in the same bracket Dott and MJW just because both have reached 3 World Finals is just nonsense! What about the other countless ranking event titles MJW has? How many does Dott have despite the Worlds? 1! Everyth
ing said there.

No matter how good Dott was, MJW is just miles ahead of him, so he has the right to be fawned over by many. :wave:

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Dott's problem is that he changed his game to be seen as more exciting by idiots. He was a bucking good player, one of my favourites.

He should have ignored the critics - he was the toughest son of a lovely lady I ever saw on a table.

I agree, I also always loved his grit and determination.

However as PollBoy mentions to put in the same bracket Dott and MJW just because both have reached 3 World Finals is just nonsense! What about the other countless ranking event titles MJW has? How many does Dott have despite the Worlds? 1! Everyth
ing said there.

No matter how good Dott was, MJW is just miles ahead of him, so he has the right to be fawned over by many. :wave:

Spot on.

I was going to write something similar and you beat me to it.

Graeme Dott won 1 world title from 3 finals plus 1 ranker.

Mark Williams won 2 world titles from 3 finals plus 18 rankers, 2 Masters and multiples seasons as world number 1. Williams was arguably the best player during snooker's toughest era.

It's not difficult to see why MJW "is fawned over by many".

Don't get me wrong Dott was a fine player, but not in the same league as Williams.

Postby Alex0paul

If Dott stuck to his normal game he would have won a lot more. The last 4/5 years have been so utterly frustrating because he just rushes shots and pushes the boat out on low percentage pots.