Post a reply

2017 Parallel Prediction League

Postby snookerguy

Please note. This was updated on the 19th December to account for some queries.

This competition serves to compliment additional prediction competitions, not replace them.

Individual match predictions (double for triple crown and other event finals)
Prediction of a correct winner: 5 points
Prediction of a correct score: 3 points

Please note: Where another prediction competition exists you're entry into that will be converted to the points for this. If no competition exists 36 hours prior to a competition starting a template will be posted in here, if a competition is posted in those 36 hours then entries from both points will be taken with whichever one a predictor posted first used for the annual competition.

Before each tournament begins players are asked to name 5 players. They will be awarded points depending on how far these players progress. (These points also double for triple crown)
Last 128: 0 points
Last 64: 1 points
Last 32: 2 points
Last 16: 5 points
Quarter Finals: 10 points
Semi-Finals: 15 points
Runner Up: 20 points
Winner: 25 points

In addition if any of these players complete the following points will be awarded as such:

Whitewashes: 5 points (aggregate 5 per white wash)
Highest break: 10 points (end of tournament)
A maximum break: 10 points (aggregate)
Title Defenses: 10 points
Century in every frame: 15 points (aggregate)
Consecutive maximum breaks: 20 points (aggregate, ie if some miracle happens twice by the same player you get 40 points, if two separate players do it you get 20 points for each one)
Last edited by snookerguy on 15 Jan 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Re: 2017 Aggregate Prediction League

Postby Andre147

So this is a paralel predictions contest?

I like the ideia, but it shouldn't replace the original prediction contests.

I say keep those, and whoever predicts the most correct winners of tournaments, finalists, semi-finalists, etc, wins this.

Postby eraserhead

I like the idea of picking four players for every tournament that takes place and allocating points based on how far they get. It's a simpler way to make sure every tournament has a prediction contest.

I agree with Andre though I want the original contests to stay as well, but like the idea of a smaller format for each tournament that adds up to one big contest.

Postby snookerguy

Ok, I can see what you're saying. We could run it several ways.

Where an existing prediction contest exist, the entries into that are automatically included in this with the points adjusted to the standard for this. Then this isn't stepping over the original prediction contests, just plugging the gaps. The qualifiers (not played at venue) and main event (at venue) would be treat separately for this.

This competition asks entrants to name 5 or 10 players before a competition starts with points allocated on how far they get in the competition (finals, semi-finals etc) and some other factors such as most frames won at the tournament, highest break, a one-four-seven, back to back centuries, whitewashes etc.

Balls in your court guys?

Postby Andre147

Fine with me.

but before each event "ask" us to name the players, etc... so it can be better organized, probably in a separate thread to the main prediction contest.

Re: 2017 Parallel Prediction League

Postby snookerguy

The new format is in the OP, attempts to take care of the issue. A reminder about the competition will be posted shortly before the masters starts. As the likelihood is the masters will have it's own prediction competition, the template has been removed.

Postby PLtheRef

Will be good to see how this runs over the course of the rest of the season as a trial and then SnookerGuy you can make any necessary tweaks ahead of the new season come June 2017. It seems similar to the one Cue Action Blog is running at the moment.

Postby sundaygirl

I would definitely be up for a season long prediction contest. Especially if it just required one post just before each tourney commenced.

Postby snookerguy

PLtheRef wrote:Will be good to see how this runs over the course of the rest of the season as a trial and then SnookerGuy you can make any necessary tweaks ahead of the new season come June 2017. It seems similar to the one Cue Action Blog is running at the moment.

Seems to make sense, would be more fitting to do it over the season's length rather than the calendar year. I wasn't aware of the Cue action one.

Postby snookerguy

sundaygirl wrote:I would definitely be up for a season long prediction contest. Especially if it just required one post just before each tourney commenced.

I'm thinking of running to league tables for this, one that only looks at the 5 named players and one that looks at the match predictions as well. And then in May we can have an argument/heated discussion about which people prefer.

Postby PLtheRef

snookerguy wrote:
sundaygirl wrote:I would definitely be up for a season long prediction contest. Especially if it just required one post just before each tourney commenced.

I'm thinking of running to league tables for this, one that only looks at the 5 named players and one that looks at the match predictions as well. And then in May we can have an argument/heated discussion about which people prefer.

I think there's certainly room for both. I like the idea of having a season long contest where you nominate a certain number of players for each event and them scoring points dependent on how they do. It means that every event has some element of a contest attached to it.

Like I mentioned, the Cue Action Blog has something like this running - with points being doubled for the Triple Crown competitions. In the CAB contest, you can only nominate any player three times for example over the whole season.

A few years back we tried to run a season long contest with players being ranked on how they'd done during the season e.g. you won the contest you received 12, second you got 10 etc with the World's being worth double to find the Grand Master of predictions for that season.

I've tried running prediction contests which have had some kind of elimination within them for example, splitting predictors into groups with the top two progressing or having a cut system e.g. top twelve plus ties ahead of the quarter-finals progress to predicting the final stages. The feedback was that people preferred contests where they could predict all the way through however.

Like I said earlier, it's definitely worth trialling this for the rest of the season (to see what people's feedback is) so come up with a format ahead of the Masters.

Postby TheSaviour

The lads are now talking if I would be already good enough to participate rofl rofl rofl

Postby TheSaviour

Sorry.

But seriously, It's good to get that monkey off my back, I was very nervous about it. That I would be the one always knowing or guessing the most results right. People will always have monkeys on back. It is just case of perhaps getting the that particular monkey off the back. Sometimes. As we never quite know what will happen, or what sort of an information is something which should be spreaded and what is not. And you never know even if it snowballs. Getting that monkey off the back, and later....

Postby Andre147

snookerguy wrote:Early reminder to pick 5 players for this competition.

Which one? Pick 5 players for The Masters?

Or 5 players for the season?

Postby snookerguy

Andre147 wrote:
snookerguy wrote:Early reminder to pick 5 players for this competition.

Which one? Pick 5 players for The Masters?

Or 5 players for the season?

For the Masters.

Postby PLtheRef

I'll give this a try. Lets see how it works for the rest of the season and then you can make any necessary tweaks for 2017/18

Mark Selby
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Marco Fu
Kyren Wilson
John Higgins

Postby snookerguy

Format= Position, Name (Correct predictions, Correct Scorelines, Advancement of 5 players)

=1. Andre417 30 (1 correct prediction, 1 quarter-finalist)
=1 Sundaygirl 30 (1 correct prediction, 1 quarter finalist)
=1 Kolompar 30 (1 correct prediction, 1 quarter finalist)
=1 PLTheRef 30 (1 correct prediction, 1 quarter finalist)
=1 Snookerguy 30 (1 correct prediction, 1 quarter finalist)
=1 Eraserhead 30 (1 correct prediction, 1 quarter finalist)
=2 Cloud Strife 10 (1 correct prediction)
=2 Aris147 10 (1 correct prediction)
=2 Snookerfan 10 (1 correct prediction)

Postby snookerguy

And an update for the end of the day

=1 PLTheRef 40 (1 correct winner, 1 quarter finalist, 1 Last 16 player)
=1 Snookerguy 40 (2 correct winners, 1 quarter finalist)
=1 Eraserhead 40 (2 correct winners, 1 quarter finalist)
=2 Kolompar 30 (1 correct winner, 1 quarter finalist)
=2 Sundaygirl 30 (1 correct winner, 1 quarter finalist)
=2 Andre147 30 (1 correct winner, 1 quarter finalist)
=3 Cloud Strife 20 (2 correct winners)
=3 Aris147 20 (2 Correct winners)
4th Wildey 16 (1 correct winner, 1 correct scoreline)
5th Snookerfan 10 (1 correct winner)

Postby PLtheRef

snookerguy wrote:And an update for the end of the day

This new system certainly gets my vote :-D

One question, are you taking the predictions from Cloud's contest for the basis of the correct winner and score?

Postby snookerguy

PLtheRef wrote:
snookerguy wrote:And an update for the end of the day

This new system certainly gets my vote :-D

One question, are you taking the predictions from Cloud's contest for the basis of the correct winner and score?

Yes, but I'm using the scores of 5 and 3 (doubled to 10 and 6 as this is a Triple Crown event) as outlined in the opening post so that we can keep that consistent across competitions. I figured if I did it this way, people who didn't name 5 names can still join in later and not be at a massive disadvantage only a minor one.

Last 128s might pose an issue down the line with correct winners and scores but we'll see just as a note, the adjusted table that doesn't take into account match predictions and just looks at the 5 players is:

PLTheRef 30 (QF Ronnie and L16 Wilson)
Andre147, Sundaygirl, Snookerguy, Kolompar and Eraserhead 20 (QF Ronnie

Postby snookerguy

And after John Higgins v Mark Allens

Eraserhead 70 points (3 correct winners, 2 QFs)
Snookerguy - 50 points (2 correct winners, 1 QFist, 1 L16)
PLTheRef - 50 points (1 correct winner, 2 QFist, 1 L16)
Kolompar- 40 points (1 correct winner, 1 QFist, 1 L16)
Sundaygirl 40 points (1 correct winner, 1 QFist, 1 L16)
Wildey 32 points (2 correct winners, 2 correct scorelines)
Andre147 30 points (1 correct winner, 1 QFist)
Cloud Strife 20 points (2 correct winner)
Aris147 20 points (2 correct winners)
Snookerfan 10 points (1 correct winner)

Postby snookerguy

Results will go up tonight.

Reminder to pick 5 players for the China Open before the L128 starts, and to predict L128 matches before at least half an hour prior to the match kicking off.