Post a reply

Snooker at Goffs

Postby Pink Ball

Snooker legends taking place at Goffs today. I'm not drawn to the idea of snooker legends but wish I was there tonight just because Goffs is an amazing snooker venue. The Irish Masters was never the same after they moved it to Citywest.

Any chance of bringing top level Snooker back to Goffs? It would be a great venue for a one-table event like the CoC or PTC finals.

Re: Snooker at Goffs

Postby Andre147

Or name the Northern Ireland Open the "Irish Open" and play it there at Goffs as a ranking event, just like the old Irish Masters.

I don't understand why it has to be named "Northern" since the others are Scottish, Welsh and English Open.

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:Or name the Northern Ireland Open the "Irish Open" and play it there at Goffs as a ranking event, just like the old Irish Masters.

I don't understand why it has to be named "Northern" since the others are Scottish, Welsh and English Open.

No way would Goffs hold a 128 tournament, but it's made for a one-table competition.

As for the second point, Northern Ireland covers both sides of the community. Calling it either British or Irish would snake hiss a lot of people off. 'Northern Irish' is largely okay.

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Or name the Northern Ireland Open the "Irish Open" and play it there at Goffs as a ranking event, just like the old Irish Masters.

No way would Goffs hold a 128 tournament, but it's made for a one-table competition.

As for the second point, Northern Ireland covers both sides of the community. Calling it either British or Irish would snake hiss a lot of people off. 'Northern Irish' is largely okay.

I thought we'd gotten past that nonsense. :chin:

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

I thought we'd gotten past that nonsense. :chin:

Yes to a large extent but that largely thanks to inclusive terms like Northern Ireland. You'd still offend a Nordie who sees himself as Irish by calling him British, and vice versa.

Postby Wildey

its the Home Nations only the Northern Ireland part of Ireland is part of the UK.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:

its the Home Nations only the Northern Ireland part of Ireland is part of the UK.

Thanks for the explanation. Like Pinks said, I hadn't considered Goffs could never host a 128 tournament, but maybe play a WS event there regardless? I don't think it'll happen, but it's an amazing venue, had that feeling of the Old Conference Center.