Post a reply

2016 - Round up of Ranking Wins

Postby whitespider

2016 was a great year for snooker I think with a record number of full ranking events with 13 different winners! :clap: Here is a very brief round up of 2016's winners and losers. The list of players who missed out on ranking wins has a couple of surprising names I feel. Not quite sure why I wrote all this actually - bored at work, week before Christmas most likely answer. :zzz:

Established Winners

Mark Selby – 4 wins (World Championship, UK Championship, International Championship, Paul Hunter Classic) :win:
Definitely Selby’s year this year. Without question showed that he is currently World Number #1. In terms of prize money he won the 3 biggest rankers in the Worlds, UK and International Championship and added the Paul Hunter Classic for good measure. Earlier in the year he also won the Gydnia Open which was the final minor ranking event in the PTC tour. Moves up to 8th along with Jimmy White in terms of ranking events won. Never won 4 rankers in a year before.

Judd Trump – 2 wins (China Open, European Masters)
Other than Selby the only other player to win two rankers this year, picking up the China Open for the second time and the inaugural European Masters. Tied in 12th on the all time list along with Murphy and Doherty. He last won two rankers in a single year in 2011 so ties his personal record.

Ronnie O’Sullivan – 1 win (Welsh Open plus the Masters)
Only one ranking win for the Rocket which came in the Welsh Open where he played excellent snooker all week. The month earlier he also picked up the Masters playing nowhere near his top game so 2016 represents a good year for O’Sullivan. His ranking win tied him with Davis and Higgins on 28 wins each. The fact that he reached the UK and European Masters finals, plus the CoC final suggests there are many more tournament wins to come. With 19/20 rankers in 2017 I think there is a small but real chance that he (or Higgins for that matter) could reach Hendry’s record of 36 over the next few years.

Mark Allen – 1 win (Players Championship)
It had been a three year wait for one of Twitter’s most favourite foils but winning the Players Championship in Manchester put Allen outright as the most decorated Northern Irishman in terms of ranking wins (3). Given how there were 17 rankers in 2016 and only 6 or so through the 80’s you can see how he has had more opportunities to move above Higgins and Taylor. Still he now holds that particular record so well done to him. Though he will be crying out for a major title moving forward.

Shaun Murphy – 1 win (World Grand Prix)
Murphy tends to win a ranker every two years which is semi surprising given the number of tournaments and the fact he is usually comfortably in the top 8 in the rankings. The World Grand Prix was a good victory against Bingham though and currently sits 12th along with Judd and Ken with six ranking wins each.

Neil Robertson – 1 win (Riga Masters)
A quiet year for Robbo. Especially after his good form at the end of 2015. Was ahead of O’Sullivan in the Welsh Open final before losing momentum but won one of the smaller rankers the Riga Masters over the summer. Tied with Ding in 6th on the all time list with 12 wins each. Robbo has had down periods in his career before – 2011 and 2012 drew a blank despite being World Champion in 2010.

Ding Junhui – 1 win (Shanghai Masters)
Given Dings performances in 2015, 2016 was in parts a return to form. Winning the Shanghai Masters and reaching the World and IC finals show’s that 2015 was a blip. Tied with Robertson on 12 rankings wins each now. Still chasing the Worlds and remains the player who was won most ranking titles without ever being World Champion.

Ali Carter – 1 win (World Open)
After all his troubles and a 3 year gap it was great to see Ali winning the World Open in the autumn to put him on four ranking wins. It was his second title won on Chinese soil and it has moved him outright to 18th on the all time list.

Marco Fu – 1 win (Scottish Open)
Played excellent snooker all week to lift the recent Scottish Open, beating John Higgins on home soil to win his 3rd ranking title, three years after his last. Currently joint 24th on the all time list but still missing that major title that those around him have.

New Winners

Martin Gould – 1 win (German Masters)
First ranking win for Martin Gould, defeating Luca Brecel in Berlin for the German Masters. It was Gould’s third ranking final so was glad to get over the line. Form seems to have dipped since the summer.

Liang Wenbo – 1 win (English Open)
Became the second man from China to win a ranking event after coming close in the UK Championship in 2015. His win in the English Open put him in line for the million pound prize but did not get far in Northern Ireland.

Mark King – 1 win (Northern Ireland Open) :mosh:
I don’t think anyone saw this coming. Fair play to the guy. Best I’ve seen him play and he was remarkable fluent and quick in the final. The exchange on the pink and black in the closing stages of the penultimate frame was one of the moments of the season. Will he win another ranker?

Anthony McGill – 1 win (Indian Open)
First ranking win for Mcgill came in India. Still in the earlier stages of his career but think he has the game to win more. Hopefully he can develop further as a player and become firmly a top 16 player.

Some of those who missed out who you probably expected to win something

John Higgins – After 3 wins in 2015, 2016 was a dry year for ranking titles giving opportunity for the Rocket to catch him up on 28 wins. Higgins though did hit a purple patch by winning the Champion of Champions and the China Championship so I dare say he is not too upset.

Stuart Bingham – World Number 2. :hmmm: O ranking wins in 2016. Reached the WGP final and a couple of invitational finals but for a World Number 2 when you have 17 opportunities you can only look back with disappointment.

Ricky Walden – Reached two finals in the Spring (PTC and China Open). Was beaten in both. Remains on three ranking wins.

Kyren Wilson – One of the new players breaking through. 2016 drew a bank but did reach the final of the Indian Open.

Re: 2016 - Round up of Ranking Wins

Postby Andre147

This is an excelent summary of the list of winner's and who should have won, well done mate!

Like you say, Bingham being WN2 sounds strange.. he's been WN2 for ages now, but when his 2015 Worlds money comes off this season, he will have a MASSIVE blow and could drop significantly. On Snooker org, you can see the End of Season provisional rankings, and Bingo could drop to 14th! http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?template=42

And regarding Ronnie, it's been a good year I agree, two titles, 3 would have been excelent, but I can't complain for a 41 year old man, lol. He has more titles in him, and he'll reach at least 30 rankers won in his career, that much I'm sure.

Once again, good job with the summary.

Re: 2016 - Round up of Ranking Wins

Postby PoolBoy

Terrific round-up of 2016's events! Well done, Sir!

13 different winners from 17 ranking tournaments is amazing - but, probably good for the game of snooker.

The Mark King win was so incredible - it meant so much to him, and his emotional speech is probably what I'll remember most from this year! The drama of the pink/black showdown at the end was snooker drama at its best!