Topic locked

General PTC chat (what is it? etc)

Postby Roland

I will gather posts from other topics which have strayed into PTC territory here so if the continuity is lost then that's the reason :redneck:

Meantime here is the blueprint:

The fundamental characteristics of the Players Tour Championship (PTC):-

1. 12 events to run from May to December (four in the UK and eight in Europe) followed by a Tour Championship February/March in the following year.
2. Open to 96 Pro Tour players.
3. Entry fee of £100 each event
4. Prize money of each event set at £50,000 per event in the UK, €50,000 in Europe.
5. Separate one year ranking list for PTC events, based on prize money won – initial event only seeded on Official Ranking List thereafter top 64 based on only PTC events results.
6. Tour Championship participation for top 24 on the PTC rankings – Round one players ranked 9-24 with winners playing top 8 seeds in round two.
7. Official Ranking List points to be awarded to the last 32 in each Pro Tour event.
8. Official Ranking List points to be awarded to the 24 participants in the Tour Championship.
9. Events to be played in the UK over a weekend, in Europe possible over three days – full details to be confirmed.
10. Prize money will be paid from the last 32 onwards.
11. Of the eight European events four will be organised by World Series of Snooker and four by Brandon Parker and his Dragonstars partners.
12. Anticipated that the UK events will be played at The Academy.
13. PTC rankings will be calculated on prize money won.

PTC Prize Funds

Europe UK

€ £

Winner 10,000 10,000
Runner Up 5,000 6,000
2 x Losing Semi Finalists x £2,500 5,000 6,000 x £3000
4 x Losing Quarter Finalists x £1,500 6,000 6,000
8 x Last 16 x £1000 8,000 8,000
16 x Last 32 x £750 12,000 12,000

Re: General PTC chat (what is it? etc)

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:Yeah a mini tour of the Far East, probably getting one in Australia around the same time?

Yea how sweet would that be? I also think there is a chance that one of the PTC events will be in Australia, if not this season then soon.

Postby Roland

Seems a long way to go for a small event. I thought these PTC were weekend jobs to keep the players busy like in the PDC.

Postby Wildey

im against every invertational becoming rankings i think these type of events are great as they are ...

i think for the time being theres enough rankers in china lets take them somewhere else now.

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:Seems a long way to go for a small event. I thought these PTC were weekend jobs to keep the players busy like in the PDC.

Yea they are, but they’re being split like this

4 PTC events - UK
4 European PCT - 2 in Germany other two elsewhere
4 world PTC - outside of Europe I guess

Postby Roland

Ah right. I saw Hendon mention Hearn is wanting to go to Goffs for one of them. I guess Ireland is "Rest of World"!

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:
Sonny wrote:Seems a long way to go for a small event. I thought these PTC were weekend jobs to keep the players busy like in the PDC.

Yea they are, but they’re being split like this

4 PTC events - UK
4 European PCT - 2 in Germany other two elsewhere
4 world PTC - outside of Europe I guess

obviously world ptc will have china events there somewhere ..but if we going to get this sport up we got to go far and wide think small with everything in Britain will keep the sport small.

Postby Wildey

to be honest until we get one tournament over with we wont really know how the ranking structure or anything will be incorporated in to this.

i think they would compliment the current ranking tournament of which there are 7 and increase Ranking tournaments of different magnitude and importance up to 20.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:It will give Ronnie the chance to overtake Hendry in terms of ranking titles ;)

yes but on that principle Troy Shaw,Joe Swail and Tony Drago has a ranking tournament win lol

they did play a challenge tour in the early 90s with ranking points on offer which shaw,swail and Drago won ;)

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:Ah right. I saw Hendon mention Hearn is wanting to go to Goffs for one of them. I guess Ireland is "Rest of World"!

Would that not fall under Europe then ;)

Goffs is a great venue, hosted the Irish Masters for years (players loved it) Hopefully it will be put back on the calendar.

Postby Roland

Hearn will obviously remember it. I'm sure he must've gone with Steve a few times when he dominated the event in the 80's. Didn't he win it 7 or 8 times or something? Also threw another away when he lost on the 3 misses and out rule in a decider?

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:Hearn will obviously remember it. I'm sure he must've gone with Steve a few times when he dominated the event in the 80's. Didn't he win it 7 or 8 times or something? Also threw another away when he lost on the 3 misses and out rule in a decider?

Yea 7 times I think.

There was also big money involved. In 01 Ronnie got 60+ K for winning the thing. Can't remember what the money was like when it was made ranking.

There is defiantly the demand for snooker over here, Hearn is the man to deliver.

Postby Wildey

no he won it 8 times

83,84,87,88,90,91,93 and 94.

he seemed to win it in blocks of 2 lol

Postby Roland

No seemed to, did!

Anyway, back on topic please <ok>

And yes I would love to see an event at Goffs but only if it's broadcast because I don't want to miss out.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:No seemed to, did!

Anyway, back on topic please <ok>

And yes I would love to see an event at Goffs but only if it's broadcast because I don't want to miss out.

what Barry Hearn will do is when he gets his feet under the table properly and get thing he wants happening is internet coverage of these as well as qualifying.

these wont be on TV im certain of that apart from the final with top 24.

Postby Roland

Yeah the finals are guaranteed a good outing on tv, probably Sky. I think webcasts are a grand idea for the other events apart from maybe one or two bigger venue ones like Goffs going on Sky or something hopefully.

I see the seedings for event 1 are based on the rankings, then all after that are based on PTC rankings - nice concept. So if you win round one you're ranked 1 next time around, and I presume all those who lose in the same round will be seeded based on ranking to seperate them if they are on the same PTC points. Sort of a tour within a tour. Can't wait!

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:Yeah the finals are guaranteed a good outing on tv, probably Sky. I think webcasts are a grand idea for the other events apart from maybe one or two bigger venue ones like Goffs going on Sky or something hopefully.

I see the seedings for event 1 are based on the rankings, then all after that are based on PTC rankings - nice concept. So if you win round one you're ranked 1 next time around, and I presume all those who lose in the same round will be seeded based on ranking to seperate them if they are on the same PTC points. Sort of a tour within a tour. Can't wait!

It will be very interesting to see what sort of field enters…I imagine around 150+ for the events held in the UK.

Most of the top 16 will enter until they are guaranteed a place in the final 24.

Players that I think will do really well in this –

Trump
Fu
Ding
Dott
Carter
Ebdon
Murphy

Then of course there are the obvious ones like Ronnie, Higgins, Selby etc. But in terms of event by event basis I think the ones I have listed will shine the most until the final 24.

Does anybody have an idea on the format for each event?

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:Probably best of 3's or 5's I would think

Will the likes of Alex Higgins, Taylor, John Parrott enter? That would add a bit extra.

Postby Roland

In darts you have everyone from taxi drivers to landlords to ex-pro's so I would imagine a few blasts from the past will enter the ones in their locality.

Postby Casey

I personally would like to see Willie Thorne take out the cue again, Tony Knowles, Cliff. The more I think about it the better these events are sounding.
Is there an age limit on it? Or can Luca Brecel enter?

Postby Wildey

mate the whole top 64 will enter if they want to keep their place on tour lol

Postby Roland

They will have to put a cap on it somewhere because you don't want the likes of wild turning up looking for a game. I don't see why they can't give regional clubs the chance to play knockout events with a place at one of the events up for grabs. It will give the appearance of being open to all comers which will bring interest into the game from the youngsters if they think winning a few matches will give them a shot at the big boys.

Anyway, we need to see what the criteria are first before getting carried away, but there is clearly a lot you can do with these events.

Postby SnookerFan

I still don't understand what is happening in any of these tournaments. Or what the points systems mean. <laugh> I'll wait to see what happens in them, I am sure it will all make sense.

Postby Roland

It's fairly simple really. It's seeded, there are lots of them, points are tabulated based on prize money won, top 24 after 12 events go through to a grand final event.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Sonny wrote:Ah right. I saw Hendon mention Hearn is wanting to go to Goffs for one of them. I guess Ireland is "Rest of World"!

I'll suffer it..... :john:

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:They will have to put a cap on it somewhere because you don't want the likes of wild turning up looking for a game. I don't see why they can't give regional clubs the chance to play knockout events with a place at one of the events up for grabs. It will give the appearance of being open to all comers which will bring interest into the game from the youngsters if they think winning a few matches will give them a shot at the big boys.

Anyway, we need to see what the criteria are first before getting carried away, but there is clearly a lot you can do with these events.

<laugh> <laugh> Imaigne Wild being drawn against Ronnie :ahh: