Post a reply

Here’s to the future.

Postby Monique

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... uture.html
HERE'S TO THE FUTURE
Maybe, just maybe, snooker’s years of self-destructive internecine infighting is finally at an end.

Barry Hearn has earned a mandate to bring his unique brand of enthusiasm and business nous to snooker.

He asked the players for their backing and they have given it. Let’s not kid ourselves, the sport is still divided pretty sharply but Hearn now deserves support. It is in everyone’s interests that he succeeds.

I agree with Stephen Hendry, who said last week: “Whoever comes out the winner at the other end, there should be a shaking of hands and none of the acrimony that has belittled snooker for so long.”

Hopefully Hendry can persuade others to abide by this commitment.

What was interesting about the campaign against Hearn – which mainly consisted of a series of anonymous email smears – was that nobody, not one person, questioned his ability to do the job.

They couldn’t because his record speaks for itself. He has been putting money into snooker since before any of the 96 players currently on the professional circuit were making a living from it.

Many disagree with the terms of his plan, taking a 51% share in World Snooker Limited, but Hearn did not want to leave himself at the mercy of various interest groups within the sport threatening to vote him out every six months.

Can he deliver? We all hope so. He will certainly now throw himself into the job.

I don’t agree with all of his proposals. Snooker should not be cheapened but its image clearly needs to change and we need to try new things...even if they don’t work.

Hearn will lead from the front but for all his cheery, down-to-earth bonhomie he is, underneath, tough as old boots and will expect the players to play their full part.

Enough of the past. It’s littered with missed opportunities, wrong turns and expensive, self indulgent arguments that have taken the sport nowhere but backwards.

Here’s to the future. May the great game of snooker rise again.

Amen :)

Re: Here’s to the future.

Postby Wildey

Stephen Hendry wanted change to snooker he has got that change now its up to him and others to make it work for the likes of Luca Brecel to take the sport forward in the future and prosper from it.

i know for a fact had JD got the backing id want him to succeed just as much as i want barry 2. for to long this sport has been stagnating going nowhere fast with players that have their own interest at heart and not the sport when it came to voting now thats about to change for the better whether BH or JD won the rights.

this sport has to be the winner and today is the start of giving snooker a fighting chance to do that.

Postby Witz78

:bowdown: <cool> :excited: :love: <ok> :clap:

Best news in the world of snooker for years. Unity required from the players now and let Hearn do what he says he will do.

Be interesting to see what happens from the likes of 110sport and the other anti-Hearn brigade. Surely they will take defeat on the chin and move on....

Another thing i thought about was whether Ding and Hendry by publicly backing Davison have blown their chances of an invite to the Premier League, but then i thought about Hearn the man, and hes going to lower himself to that petty level and continue feuds.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote::bowdown: <cool> :excited: :love: <ok> :clap:

Best news in the world of snooker for years. Unity required from the players now and let Hearn do what he says he will do.

Be interesting to see what happens from the likes of 110sport and the other anti-Hearn brigade. Surely they will take defeat on the chin and move on....

Another thing i thought about was whether Ding and Hendry by publicly backing Davison have blown their chances of an invite to the Premier League, but then i thought about Hearn the man, and hes going to lower himself to that petty level and continue feuds.

its business and not personnel barry knows the score <ok>

Postby Casey

Ding is still the biggest worlwide TV puller (China) Hendry is still in the top 4 in terms of a crowd puller, both will be in the league.

Postby Roland

What's a crod puller? :redneck:

I'm sure Hendry is one by the way

Postby Wildey

crod puller ??

is that irish for a bird puller lol

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:Crowd :innocent:

yes lol

and your right barry hearn wouldn't be in the position he is if he took things personel its business and he will act according to that.

Postby Wildey

Originally Posted by 100-uper
Best to remember that the Davidson proposal has not been defeated. It could still be put to the members at a new EGM. As there is clearly substantial support amongst the voting members, and plenty of scope to improve the detail of the offer to make it more attractive, I would not be surprised to see this on the agenda before too long.

reply by janie watkins
bit late for that isn't it? The players don't own the game any more so how can they vote for someone else to run it - or am I missing something?!

what a great answer and it makes total sense they voted that hearn gets 51% so that mean hearn has 51% of the vote in the next EGM.

Postby Roland

The reasons for his 51% become instantly apparent <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:The reasons for his 51% become instantly apparent <laugh>

yes lol

i never even thought of that fact but unless we completely missed the point here that is exactly the situation <laugh>

Postby Monique

Sorry guys, but I never missed the point, it was clear to me from the start. Barry BTW never pretended: he said it. He wanted to cut out any possibility of in-fighting. Too bad for those who didn't get it. In-fighting has paralised snooker for over 30 years.

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:Sorry guys, but I never missed the point, it was clear to me from the start. Barry BTW never pretended: he said it. He wanted to cut out any possibility of in-fighting. Too bad for those who didn't get it. In-fighting has paralised snooker for over 30 years.

Exactly, just watch the game go from strength to strength, as Barry is free to implement his masterplan now the shackles of negativity, discontent and preventitive red tape have been removed.

I predict we will see more positive announcements and great publicity for snooker in this next season than we have seen in the last 15 years combined.

Postby Casey

Who do people think will be the new chairman? Has there been any names put forawrd? The fighting on that aspect might still roll on.

Postby Monique

Hearn: We have a big job ahead

Published Date: 02 June 2010
Barry Hearn insists the in-fighting within snooker will stop after the leading players voted to put him in control of the sport's destiny.
Hearn, via his Matchroom Sports operation, will take a 51% stake in World Snooker after the top 64 players voted 35-29 in his favour at a meeting in Sheffield.

"We said after the meeting that we've drawn a line in the sand, and all the problems in the past, all the politics, are history," Hearn told Press Association Sport.

Stars including Stephen Hendry and Peter Ebdon were backing a rival bid fronted by former Olympian John Davison, however Davison elected to miss the meeting and Hearn squeezed enough votes to allow him to push ahead with his vision for snooker's future.

Hearn, who has had business success across sports including darts, boxing and golf, had a high profile in snooker during the 1980s and returned to the front line in December when he was a popular choice as chairman of the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association, succeeding Sir Rodney Walker.

He has largely impressed in the role, and there were many who would have been upset to see him leave snooker again, which was his threat had the players voted against him. Yet given the emergence of Davison as a rival last week, Hearn headed to the WPBSA EGM knowing the players' support for his plans was not guaranteed.

"I never take anything for granted, I'm always prepared for every eventuality," he said. "I like well contested fights and to keep people on the edge of their seats.

"The result was very satisfying, and for me it's personally been one of the most satisfying days of my life. We start now. There's lots to be done. We've got everybody pulling in the right direction. We've got issues to deal with and we'll set about doing that."

World Snooker will separate from the WPBSA, which will remain the regulatory body, with Jason Ferguson set to succeed Hearn as chairman. Hearn's focus will turn to running World Snooker, and he has pledged that prize money will rise from £3.5million in 2009/10 to £4.5million in 2010/11, promising to return control to the WPBSA if he fails with his venture.

Davison graciously accepted defeat and said in a statement released to Press Association Sport: "We congratulate Barry on securing the votes of the playing members of the WPBSA and wish them and all the stakeholders all the best of luck in the future."

Nice on Davison, sportingly aknowledging defeat.
source:http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/latest-national-sport/Hearn-We-have-a-big.6337232.jp?

Postby Casey

Good remarks from Barry, he wants to push on and forget about what has happened in the past.

Equally the same for Davision, the guy was always going to be genuine with the level of investment he offered 8 years ago and also now.

1 Question, was this Furguson guy not on the board a few years ago, unpopular at that from what I remember?

Postby Roland

Who wasn't unpopular when they were on the board? I remember Ferguson from playing at the Crucible once or twice, other than that I don't know a thing about him.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Sorry guys, but I never missed the point, it was clear to me from the start. Barry BTW never pretended: he said it. He wanted to cut out any possibility of in-fighting. Too bad for those who didn't get it. In-fighting has paralised snooker for over 30 years.

well i did miss that with all the things thats been said on forums and im so bloody pleased its that case because now we can move on 100% and happy times

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:

well i did miss that with all the things thats been said on forums and im so bloody pleased its that case because now we can move on 100% and happy times

<doh> no way Wild, i cant believe you didnt work that out.

That was the fundamental reason he wanted full control. This for me was the main reason 110Sport and others didnt want him to be successful and is what they meant when they argued that the players should remain in power and the game shouldnt be lost.

With Hearn though, there is no chance of the game being lost, certainly not with Davis as his righ hand man.

Postby Wildey

i know mate but ive been angry,worked up etc over all of this thinking straight did not come in to it lol

Postby Roland

wildJONESEYE wrote:i know mate but ive been angry,worked up etc over all of this thinking straight did not come in to it lol

If signatures were allowed, this would be mine

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:i know mate but ive been angry,worked up etc over all of this thinking straight did not come in to it lol

If signatures were allowed, this would be mine

copy righted lol

Postby Monique

article in The Timesonline
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 142870.ece

From The Times
June 3, 2010
Barry Hearn’s revolution given green light

Phil Yates

Professional snooker, plagued by internecine strife and a succession of ineffective administrations from its boom in the early Eighties through to its recent struggles, entered a brave new era yesterday. It is now a benign dictatorship with Barry Hearn at the helm.

In a move that will be welcomed by players, spectators, broadcasters and sponsors alike, Hearn’s masterplan for a sport in desperate need of regeneration was accepted at an extraordinary general meeting of the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA) in Sheffield.

Those WPBSA members who have been among the top 64 in the world rankings for either of the past two years, plus board directors, voted 35-29 in favour of Hearn, who was already the WPBSA chairman, taking control of a sport that was so often rudderless in the past when an experienced, savvy hand was desperately required.

The vote meant that the commercial assets of the WPBSA transferred for a nominal £1 to a new company, World Snooker Limited (WSL). Hearn, by paying £255,000, will own a 51 per cent stake of WSL and is therefore immune from dethronement by a coup of other shareholders. The players will own 25 per cent, other partners 24 per cent.

In essence, Hearn, hugely successful in sports promotion, has carte blanche to revive snooker’s flagging fortunes. The presence of such a proven entrepreneurial go-getter is long overdue.

“I’m delighted,” Hearn said. “I don’t underestimate the challenges that lie ahead but for the moment snooker is united. I owe the game a lot and I will make sure that I’ll be giving 100 per cent every day to bring it to the level at which it should be operating.”

Hearn, who has never disguised his desire to profit from snooker while creating wealth for the players, repeatedly stated that he would immediately relinquish the WPBSA chairmanship if yesterday’s vote went against him.

Ronnie O’Sullivan, Steve Davis and Neil Robertson, the world champion, supported Hearn but Stephen Hendry, Peter Ebdon and Ding Junhui publicly endorsed a counter-proposal from John Davison, a retired private equity firm partner and former Olympic shooter. Lee Doyle, chairman of the 110sport management stable and a WPBSA director until resigning shortly after Hearn’s ascent to chairman in December, also advised his clients to back the alternative offer.

Davison, who was treated appallingly by the sport’s authorities in 2002 when he led a group hoping to secure its commercial rights in return for a considerable sum, offered ten ranking events next season and prize money of £5 million, rising by £200,000 for each of the next three years.

In return Davison wished to control snooker’s commercial rights for 15 years by acquiring 63 per cent of WSL. He intended to pay £315,000 for this, to be redistributed as a dividend of about £5,000 to each of the world’s top 64.

However, Hearn, well liked in snooker and seen by many as its potential saviour, won the day by passionately stating his case at the meeting, which Davison surprisingly declined an invitation to attend, claiming his proposal had not been given a fair platform.

With sponsors thin on the ground, the vital BBC television contract up for renewal and dark clouds generated by continuing match and frame-fixing allegations, Hearn’s skills will be fully tested on the road to revitalisation but one cannot escape the conclusion that if anyone can haul the sport out of the mire, it is the 61-year-old from Essex.

After the bitter infighting that has blighted snooker, it is time to afford Hearn the opportunity to facilitate growth, as acknowledged before the meeting by Hendry. “Whoever comes out the winner at the other end, there should be a shaking of hands,” he said.

Barry’s election pledges

1, More tournaments Hearn has already announced a ranking event in Germany next season and the World Open with a £500,000 prize.

2, Innovative formats In January, Sky Sports will broadcast a one-frame shoot-out, frames lasting 12 minutes.

3, Improved communication with sponsors and television companies.

4, A one-year world-ranking system to replace the two-year system in operation since the 1970s.

5, A new anti-corruption unit headed by David Douglas, a former Metropolitan Police detective chief superintendent.

Postby Roland

I thought the rankings would be rolling, not simply 1 year with the existing system.

Postby Casey

So instead of a rolling system, your total points for one season will decide where you are ranked for the following year?

So last seasons points are now irrelevant really. It’s the points that the players earn this year that will count.

Postby Wildey

what you got to remember although it is a one year list if indeed that is the case newspapers gets it wrong im sure i read in the proposal a 2 year list.

but if it is a one year list it will not be a one year list based on only 6 or 8 tournaments the PTC Comes in to it so you have to sustain a very good season a flukey quarters that elevated Steve Davis to 13th on the 2008/2009 list will not be a option.

Postby Casey

There is no details on how many ranking points the PTC will hold per event. I am guessing VERY little, to the point it wouldn’t make much of a difference to the top 16 unless you win several of them.

I know they are split into 3 different categories, ie PTC, European and World. It wil be interesting to see which players enter which events.

The smart thing to do would be enter the first 6 see how well you do, you might have enough money earned by then to qualify for the finals meaning you can enter the rest at your leisure and relax.

I also notice that the PL line up is not yet confirmed, this is likely to stay the same until the end of the John Higgins enquiry.