Post a reply

Re: Betway United Kingdom Championship Quarter Finals !!!!

Postby Incident on 57th street 20

Pink Ball wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Bold prediction, but I think if we get a Selby-Ronnie final Selby will win comfortably this time.

What makes you think that then?

I fancy Selby to raise his game, while I think Sullivan's game drops against Selby. Selby's game has never suited Sullivan's anyway. I don't like Selby but in a big match I fancy him to beat anyone right now.

But Ding beat him fairly easily to shangai this year. ( 10 - 6).

So you can not really know either.

If Ronnie starts playing really well I think ronnie will win. Otherwise there is a good chance that selby will win

But I agree that selby is currently the best player in the world or at least the most regular and for me it is the most difficult in the snooker: constancy, to be always there even on a bad day.

This is the high quality of selby. He is really eye-catching,, does not let go anything. He is really complete.

Postby Cheshire Cat

Iranu wrote:Is this table as bad as the other one?

Thorne was ranting about 'damp cloth' for a while earlier, so I assume so.

Oddly enough, it only seems to be the evening sessions where the tables have been iffy. They were fine yesterday afternoon and looked fine this afternoon, but both evening sessions have looked a bit off.

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:
I fancy Selby to raise his game, while I think Sullivan's game drops against Selby. Selby's game has never suited Sullivan's anyway. I don't like Selby but in a big match I fancy him to beat anyone right now.

Ronnie has beaten him in 2 Big Finals, both at the Masters so he definately knows how to handle the occasion, plus he won their last 2 meetings.

Selby is playing great atm no doubt, but so is Ronnie.

A match between the 2 of them here would probably be tight, and by the way, if there's anyone who between the two who is likely to beat the other confortably, then that's Ronnie for certain.

Ronnie has given him some good hidings, whereas Selby never beat Ronnie confortably.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Andre147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Ronnie has beaten him in 2 Big Finals, both at the Masters so he definately knows how to handle the occasion, plus he won their last 2 meetings.

Selby is playing great atm no doubt, but so is Ronnie.

A match between the 2 of them here would probably be tight, and by the way, if there's anyone who between the two who is likely to beat the other confortably, then that's Ronnie for certain.

Ronnie has given him some good hidings, whereas Selby never beat Ronnie confortably.

If Ronnie plays at his best, it doesn't matter what Slowby does, he doesn't stand a chance.

Postby TheRocket

With ROS and Selby you'd think, there are always two possibilities imo. Either ROS will beat him relatively comfortably or Selby will win it in the decider or at least in a very close match

Having said that, ROS has beaten Selby in close matches (UK 07 semi, Masters final 09) while Selby has never really beaten ROS comfortably.

He did beat him 6:2 in the Welsh Open once , but that was a really poor match and a Welsh Open semi is obviously not comparable to the UK semi or Masters final.

Postby PLtheRef

TheRocket wrote:With ROS and Selby you'd think, there are always two possibilities imo. Either ROS will beat him relatively comfortably or Selby will win it in the decider or at least in a very close match

Having said that, ROS has beaten Selby in close matches (UK 07 semi, Masters final 09) while Selby has never really beaten ROS comfortably.

He did beat him 6:2 in the Welsh Open once , but that was a really poor match and a Welsh Open semi is obviously not comparable to the UK semi or Masters final.

Its an interesting one - when you consider it that though they are relatively evenly matched. The only real hidings that have been dished out seem to have been won by O'Sullivan. The 10-4 result in the Masters and in particular in taking an 8-1 lead early doors was as surprising as it was impressive given that Selby knows how to beat him at the Masters. - Given how good O'Sullivan is as a front runner, its surprising that he allowed Selby to come roaring back in the 2014 Crucible Final.

If it is a final between these two on Sunday it will probably be very close, but you would expect Ronnie to win if it's a one sided race.

Anyways, this is all relative - both have matches to win tomorrow before this discussion should pick

Postby PoolBoy

davisfan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
eraserhead wrote:
Edit: also anyone know what position Ronnie's ranking is after his run here.

Now Ronnie's 16, he was 17 prior to this match.

I dont know how many places he'll climb if he wins, but at least I think he'll be around 13 or 12.

Just did the maths, as rankings are fun :john: though they don't mean nearly as much as they once did.

UK is £75k for runner-up, £170k for winner, so ROS will go 10th or 7th in each case.

I think he'd be 12th with a semi-final win and 8th if he lifts the trophy. http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?template=35

The provisional rankings have already included the £35,000 he's won for reaching the semis. So he'd get another £40,000 added on if he reached the final etc.

But, It won't alter his seeding for the Masters, as he's automatically no.1 as defending champion.

Postby eraserhead

snooker_loopy wrote:Murphy may have a point about the balls. Why can't the balls change more often? They change the balls at Wimbledon. If he keeps moaning about it, who knows, perhaps World Snooker will do something about it. :-)

Jason Ferguson responded by saying at this years worlds the balls where changed after every match and feedback was mixed.

:shrug: