Post a reply

Davison snubs players' EGM

Postby Wildey

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 92,00.html

John Davison has rejected an invitation to attend the players' meeting in Sheffield on Wednesday where rival bidder Barry Hearn hopes to be given the go-ahead to take charge of World Snooker.

Davison, a former Olympic shooter, claims his bid is not being afforded the same platform as the proposal from Hearn, the chairman of the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association, has received.

On Tuesday evening, Davison said in a statement: "We do not feel that the board is adopting a fair process or creating a level playing field for all bids.

"I therefore cannot accept their invitation to attend.

"I very much want to address the players directly, something that the WPBSA board has expressly stated that I am not to do.

"I want them to have the chance to ask me the many questions I am sure that they have before making such a massive decision. I am always happy to compete - in sport or business - as long as I know that the rules are fair and being abided by."
Support

Davison is making his second attempt to take control of the professional game, having almost succeeded in 2002, and has support from players including Stephen Hendry, Peter Ebdon and Ding Junhui.

Hearn wants his Matchroom Sport business to take a 51 percent controlling stake in the WPBSA's business arm, World Snooker. Until Davison came forward last week he looked certain to get his wish.

Hearn has pledged more tournaments for the players and increased prize money, from £3.5million in 2009/10 to £4.5million in 2010/11. He has also promised to return control to the WPBSA if he fails.

Davison's bid would see him take 63 percent at a price of £315,000, for a fixed 15-year period.

Davison has said the £315,000 would be paid out to the world's top 64 players, and has pledged that prize money will rise to £5 million next season, with guaranteed income for players at various levels of the sport.

The statement from Davison's bid team said: "The inability of snooker's governing body to respond to John Davison's request for clarity and transparency of process ahead of tomorrow's EGM in Sheffield has prevented Davison from accepting an invitation to attend.

"Davison's late bid to lease the commercial rights to snooker in a £16 million, 15-year deal, has brought a new focus to the special meeting called by Hearn who hoped to have his own bid to buy the sport rubber-stamped by the players."

Davison himself said: "The WPBSA has failed to respond to my repeated requests for clarity and transparency of process.

"We provided written responses to the clarification questions sent to us by the WPBSA board on Friday evening at 7pm. As of 5pm today these have not been forwarded to WPBSA members. We have not had a single response to our emails and calls during the course of today.

Future

"I'm afraid this only reinforces my view that the sport needs to realign itself very quickly to the modern era if it is to have any future at all.

"When I realised that the players were faced with a 'take it or leave it' bid by Barry Hearn to buy outright 75 percent of WSL [World Snooker] forever, for £1, leaving the players with 25 percent; I decided to offer the players a future where they were partners in our plans and held 37 percent of WSL for 15 years before the rights reverted to them entirely.

"I obviously considered the WPBSA's invitation to attend the EGM very seriously but the meeting has been convened to consider Barry Hearn's ultimatum: it has a fixed agenda and cannot allow a vote on our proposal.

"Unfortunately, we have been told nothing that makes clear how the independent directors of the WPBSA envisage us being involved, and even if this were given to us now ahead of the EGM we would obviously not have enough time to prepare properly for the meeting."

Davison's mention of Hearn taking a 75 percent stake for £1 would be contested by the veteran sports promoter. Hearn's stated plan is for Matchroom to take 51 percent for £255,000, with the rest split between commercial partners (24 percent) and players (25 percent).

is this the commitment players want to see from someone they could put the faith of their future in <doh>
Last edited by Wildey on 01 Jun 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Davison snubs players' EGM

Postby Wildey

heading was a mistake the blinking door went as i was posting so i was rushed....

this was meant to go to facebook btw.

Postby Roland

Well it went up with the link so I removed it but I'll add it again.

Actually it's too difficult, sorry :redneck:

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Well it went up with the link so I removed it but I'll add it again.

Actually it's too difficult, sorry :redneck:

i know dont you hate it when the door goes and your partner on the bloody loo just as your posting rofl

a post from someone on TSF they did not leave a scource

Quote from JD

"I very much want to address the players directly, something that the WPBSA board has expressly stated that I am not to do.

"I want them to have the chance to ask me the many questions I am sure that they have before making such a massive decision. I am always happy to compete - in sport or business - as long as I know that the rules are fair and being abided by."

someone is lying <doh>

Postby Roland

That's a direct quote from both news stories - that of sportinglife and skysports. It's lifted directly from that.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:That's a direct quote from both news stories - that of sportinglife and skysports. It's lifted directly from that.

told you i got rushed lol

but point is why isnt he going to the meeting then come on please doesent make sense.....jesus i feel stessed tonight

Postby Witz78

hard to see Hearn getting a majority tomorrow now as the players undecided will probably vote no, not because they are anti-Hearn but because they want to hear direct from Davison too first before they decide.

Thats exactly what Davisons wants though, any no vote to Hearn will be looked at favourably by him and his 110 gang as it stops Hearns plans getting pushed through.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:hard to see Hearn getting a majority tomorrow now as the players undecided will probably vote no, not because they are anti-Hearn but because they want to hear direct from Davison too first before they decide.

Thats exactly what Davisons wants though, any no vote to Hearn will be looked at favourably by him and his 110 gang as it stops Hearns plans getting pushed through.

i hope your wrong because this is doing snooker no favors at all...

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Sonny wrote:That's a direct quote from both news stories - that of sportinglife and skysports. It's lifted directly from that.

told you i got rushed lol

but point is why isnt he going to the meeting then come on please doesent make sense.....jesus i feel stessed tonight

cos hes running scared as he knows Hearn would rip him and his proposals to shreds.

Its stalling tactics to try and gain sympathy from some undecided voters who will prob abstain from voting either way tomorrow or vote no Hearn so they have time to consider Davisons proposal.

He will want to meet the players without Hearn being there to, so he can spin his BS to them with Hearn being there to tell the players the truths

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:hard to see Hearn getting a majority tomorrow now as the players undecided will probably vote no, not because they are anti-Hearn but because they want to hear direct from Davison too first before they decide.

i hope your wrong because this is doing snooker no favors at all...

so do i, but being realistic im fearing the worst now :sad:

Postby Roland

I don't know how these things work but why would Hearn be disrupted from holding the meeting he set up a month ago and which in essence has been disrupted by people who suddenly emerged last week and now aren't attending? Why would anyone vote against Hearn after what he's done for the game?

I know.... snooker players leave school at 15 and let their managers make all the decisions for them <doh>

Postby Wildey

snooker players want to play just like kids its that simple.

but unlike school these kids has power to organize the curriculum god how crazy is that. <doh>

Postby Monique

Yes, someone is telling lies... if Hearn didn't want Davison to have direct communication with the players why invite him at the EGM where obviously he would be in a position to defend his proposal, answer questions and clarify his position? Unless Hearn has been smoking the old crucible carpet fabric it doesn't make sense, does it?

Dave H on twitter: John Davison has cried off attending the EGM. Strange.

I guess "strange" is a very undertoned version of what they really think there at snooker scene editorial board ;)

Re: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12243_6184392,00.

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:says it all that Davison has lied to everyone about Hearns bid for snooker being £1 and wanting a 75% stake, the depths they will stoop to, to smear Hearn.

Actually it is lies that Hearn would be taking 75% from the WPBSA, he would be taking 100%. 51% to himself, 24% to commerical partners ie. Brendon Parker and others, the other 25% goes to the top players. Leaving the WPBSA with 0%.

I think if Davison really wanted the players to vote no to Hearn's plans he would have turned up. I don't see how the players can vote against Barry as they have and it doesn't look like they will get hte answers they need from Davison. I still expect Barry to get the 31-33 votes he needs.

Postby Roland

I hear Davison went crying his eyes out to the Today Programme on Radio 4 making out Barry Hearn is the bad man in all of this. Pathetic behaviour.

Snooker doesn't want you Davison. Sling your hook you baby.

Postby Monique

The alledged reason as far as I understand, is that he would not have been allowed proper direct communication with the players. What better communication could he get than a direct contact in the EGM?

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:The alledged reason as far as I understand, is that he would not have been allowed proper direct communication with the players. What better communication could he get than a direct contact in the EGM?

From reading a few of the posts on the dark side (doesn't take much to work out were that is) the agenda has been set for the EGM which consists of lobbying and voting on Barry's proposal. Therefore anything that is not in the agenda cannot be discussed? That’s my understanding of it, whether this is true is another thing.

The meeting starts at 12noon so hopefully we will get a result by 2 - 2.30

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:
Monique wrote:The alledged reason as far as I understand, is that he would not have been allowed proper direct communication with the players. What better communication could he get than a direct contact in the EGM?

From reading a few of the posts on the dark side (doesn't take much to work out were that is) the agenda has been set for the EGM which consists of lobbying and voting on Barry's proposal. Therefore anything that is not in the agenda cannot be discussed? That’s my understanding of it, whether this is true is another thing.

Doesn't matter if it is discussed or not it was going to be the first chance potential voters was going to have direct contact with John Davison ever. you can not put a price on that if he had sense.

players need to understand the person they deal with what better chance than going to where players are and he isn't going.

im amazed by that i really am.

Postby Roland

Thanks Suzy, we were all still waiting to find out the result ;)

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:
case_master wrote:

Doesn't matter if it is discussed or not it was going to be the first chance potential voters was going to have direct contact with John Davison ever. you can not put a price on that if he had sense.

players need to understand the person they deal with what better chance than going to where players are and he isn't going.

im amazed by that i really am.

Well, I'm not. I was always convinced Davison had nothing concrete behind his proposal. Confronting the players and their questions at the EGM would mean he would have been found out. This way there is stil a hint of a doubt that maybe ...

Postby Wildey

yes thats the only reason for a no show absolutely nothing else.