Post a reply

Davision offers player power

Postby Casey

John Davison has promised to hand control of professional snooker to the players in 15 years' time if they back his bid to prise the game away from Barry Hearn.

The former Olympic athlete has already promised players a guaranteed £16million in prize money as part of his official bid to rival Hearn, who is currently chairman of the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association, for control of the world game.

Davison, who retired from working in the City last year, also says he is prepared to offer players a larger say in how their sport is run.

Ahead of the official launch of his bid, Davison has already received support from former world champions Stephen Hendry and Peter Ebdon.

Hearn has called a meeting of players for Wednesday when he wants them to back his plans but now Davison has given more details about his rival proposals.

Davison, who represented Great Britain at clay target shooting at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, said: "Having been both a successful athlete and a successful businessman I also really understand the balance that all sports need to achieve between commercial success of a sport and the fact that at the heart of each sport you always have a game that people - grown-ups and children alike - love to play.

Decline
"But what I see in snooker is a game that has a huge heritage, is loved by many people but is in decline. It has failed to overcome the loss of tobacco sponsorship, has declining broadcast and sponsorship revenues and limited international presence.

"My team has the skills, experience and credibility to work with the players over the next 15 years to provide a stable base for the game from which it can then grow.

"I just cannot accept that an individual has the right to own an entire sport for ever - in my view a sport is the property of the players and its fans - it amazes me that any one individual can think that he or she has the right to own or control a sport.

"We are offering to work with the players to grow the game, share the profits we make along the way and then hand everything back to players, at which point, aged 59 I will try to retire again."

Hearn has a take-it-or-leave-it offer on the table containing a clause insisting he takes a 51 per cent personal stake in World Snooker.

Although Davison's proposal would see him take a 63 per cent stake, his 15-year tenure would then leave the WPBSA able to make the rights available for tender once more.

Skysports

Re: Davision offers player power

Postby Monique

yes in 15 years ... that's a lifetime in snooker and God knows what will happen during those 15 years. Meanwhile he will control the game much more than Hearn because he wants about 2/3 of the shares!
If Hearn is voted out I expect Davison to do reasonably well next season building on what Hearn has already secured. Then it will be back to 5-6 tournaments a year ... Lee Doye has been involved in the politics of snooker for ages, and before him Ian Doyle and that's what they have achieved: decline. There is no reason for them to do better now ...

Postby Casey

51% or 63% = same amount of control. Although remember Barry is taking 100% away from the WPBSA, 51% for himself, 24% to commercial partners such and the other 25% to go to the top players meaning there is nothing left for the WBPSA.

What does concern me is that some of the players have already made their minds up to vote for Davision before they know all the details. They need to grill the man, ask the right questions and find out more before they make a decision.

An external advocate should be brought in to highlight the pros and cons of both deals for the players.
At the end of the day they are not businessmen, that is not where their skillset lies. They need help to make a decision.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

The 5G's the players will get is an incentive in itself for the players to vote for him.

Postby Casey

John, I hope that isn't what sways the player’s opinions. They need to look beyond that and decide on what is best for the long term.

Does anybody know what time the meeting is at tomorrow?

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:This is all too depressing

sonny you just in one short sentence summed it all up <ok>

Postby Witz78

Who can trust Davison, what track record does he have in snooker compared to Hearn. Hearn has snooker in his blood and his 6 month tenure has been one positive thing after another, yet the players are going to stab him in the back cos of their self interests taking priority over the long term future of the game these guys supposedly love. The egos have well and truly landed, i'll be boycotting all events in future if this 110sport facade gain control and reinstall the muppets who have been on one failed board after another in the past. I fear tomorrow will be a tragic day for the sport.

Postby Roland

Preaching to the converted here witz. You need to go work your magic on the clowns at 606.

Postby Wildey

tgntg vs witz is one battle id love to see

Scottish civil war lol

Postby Witz78

ok im off to 606..........

do i need the hassle of this tonight tho ?!?!

suppose its the last chance to preach the word of Hearn to them...