Post a reply

Betway United Kingdon Championship Last 128 !!!!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Tuesday 22nd of November ~ Sunday 4th of December at the York, Barbican

The UK Championship is here again with all the top players trying to get their hands on the 40th staging of this Great event that was first won by Patsy Fagan from Eire in 1977.

Since the inaugural championship only 20 players has managed to win the title
Multiple Winners
6 Steve Davis (1980, 1981, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987)
5 Ronnie O'Sullivan ( 1993, 1997, 2001, 2007, 2014)
5 Stephen Hendry (1989, 1990, 1994, 1995, 1996)
3 John Higgins (1998, 2000, 2010)
2 Neil Robertson (2013, 2015)
2 Ding Junhui (2005, 2009)
2 Mark Williams (1999, 2002)
2 Doug Mountjoy (1978, 1988)

This year Neil Robertson will be defending his title with strong opposition from the likes of Ronnie O'Sullivan trying to equal Steve Davis record of 6 titles,

Who will reach the BBC Stage starting Saturday 26th of December?

DRAW

Selected Last 128 Matches

Neil Robertson v Peter Lines
Mark J Williams v Jason Weston
Andrew Higginson v Hossein Vafaei Ayouri
Dechawat Poomjaeng v Scott Donaldson
Xiao Guodong v John Astley
Joeb Perry v Jamie Barrett
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Boonyarit Kaettikun
Ding Junhui v Igor Figueiredo
Alan McManus v Michael Wild
Ali Carter v Christopher Keogan
Jack Lisowski v Mei Xiwen
Martin Gould v Gareth Allen
Marco Fu v Josh Boileau
Mark Davis v Sydney Wilson
Oliver Lines v Martin O'Donnell
Judd Trump v James Wattana
Stuart Bingham v Adam Stefanow
Yu Delu v Nigel Bond
Luca Brecel v Aditya Mehta
Mark King v Sam Craigie
Barry Hawkins v David John
Stephen Maguire v Cao Yupeng
David Grace v Zhao Xintong
Zhou Yuelong v Duane Jones
Stuart Carrington v Yan Bingtao
Liang Wenbo v Kurt Dunham
Robin Hull v Jamie Cope
Shaun Murphy v Alex Borg
Ken Doherty v Noppon Saengkham
Mark Allen v Chen Zhe
Rod Lawler v Anthony Hamilton
Ryan Day v Jimmy White
Anthony McGill v Craig Steadman
Kyren Wilson v Mitchell Mann
Mark Selby v Andy Hicks

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Betway United Kingdon Championship Last 128 !!!!!

Postby Iranu

It will be interesting to see how this tournament fairs in terms of excitement compared to the NI Open, which was one of the most interesting, twists-and-turns tournaments I can remember.

I've seen nothing from the UK Champs in recent years to suggest it should be a major ahead of other tournaments so from an excitement/quality point of view I hope it justifies its TC status.

Postby Vallomas

Well, Iranu, I can say that last year's UK Championship had its great moments. Remember, the missed black from Un-Nooh to make his first 147, Martin Gould collapsing against David Grace, the pink that Grace missed in the semifinal against Liang to level, the misleading Selby's whitewashing by Robbo at the other semi. And, finally, the first maxi in a Triple Crown final Robertson made.

I think it was a great tournament overall, although I agree it's not easy yet to stick with it from tomorrow, as we still are in the mood of the aftermath of the exciting Northern Ireland Open.

Postby Dan-cat

Vallomas wrote:Well, Iranu, I can say that last year's UK Championship had its great moments. Remember, the missed black from Un-Nooh to make his first 147, Martin Gould collapsing against David Grace, the pink that Grace missed in the semifinal against Liang to level, the misleading Selby's whitewashing by Robbo at the other semi. And, finally, the first maxi in a Triple Crown final Robertson made.

I think it was a great tournament overall, although I agree it's not easy yet to stick with it from tomorrow, as we still are in the mood of the aftermath of the exciting Northern Ireland Open.

I thought last year's tournament was brilliant - the Un-Nooh snafu was heartbreaking, and the 2014 before it (Ding beaten by James Cahill, his final break was outstanding - Steve Davis left speechless in the commentary box), and Ding's expletive laden outburst in his presser), Ronnie's 147 and the Selty 6-nil drubbing, his comeback against Bingham and the final with Trump's comeback and Ronnie taking it 10-9.

Iranu, did you watch either of these??

Postby Vallomas

In the last two versions of the UK Championships we also had the only best of 11 matches (I think) that a player lost having a 5-0 lead. At first, the remarkable Hawkins crumbling against Nigel Bond on 2014 and Joyce doing the same against Poomjaeng (the last one wasn't televised, but I remember myself following on livescore as I 'd had a bet on Poomjaeng).

And what can we say about the final of 2014, with Trump returning from 4-9 to 9-9, just to lose on the decider. A very special match of last year's UK was the Selby vs Jamie Jones one, tough matchplay by Selby who led him to win a match where he has been outplayed by his opponent.

And Jimmy White forcing a decider against Maguire at the 1st round, where Mags won with the help of an unbelievable fluke. And maybe there are more.

Postby Dan-cat

I do think to get the real drama and excitement you have to watch a lot of the coverage, and follow the stories that are happening, and watch the BBC segments which build on the drama happening on the table. I find if I'm busy I only dip into one or two matches and the final I'm often left with the feeling that it wasn't that interesting a tournament, which is usually a wrong assumption. I guess I'm stating the obvious here a bit.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:
Vallomas wrote:Well, Iranu, I can say that last year's UK Championship had its great moments. Remember, the missed black from Un-Nooh to make his first 147, Martin Gould collapsing against David Grace, the pink that Grace missed in the semifinal against Liang to level, the misleading Selby's whitewashing by Robbo at the other semi. And, finally, the first maxi in a Triple Crown final Robertson made.

I thought last year's tournament was brilliant - the Un-Nooh snafu was heartbreaking, and the 2014 before it (Ding beaten by James Cahill, his final break was outstanding - Steve Davis left speechless in the commentary box), and Ding's expletive laden outburst in his presser), Ronnie's 147 and the Selty 6-nil drubbing, his comeback against Bingham and the final with Trump's comeback and Ronnie taking it 10-9.

Iranu, did you watch either of these??

Yeah I watched both. It's not that I don't think there have been incredible moments, but there are incredible moments in lots of tournaments.

I'm not really sure how to articulate my point, the UK just doesn't FEEL bigger than other tournaments to me recently, possibly it's just because of the format change. Is it 8 tables they have in play in the earlier rounds, with half of them not watchable? And the shortened format. I just feel like Hearn has done it a disservice that's all.

Believe me, nothing would please me more than if it turns out to be a cracking, absorbing tournament from start to finish. It just seems like that will be difficult to accomplish as long as half the matches are essentially invisible.

I hope that makes a little more sense.

Postby Vallomas

Iranu wrote:It's not that I don't think there have been incredible moments, but there are incredible moments in lots of tournaments.

I'm not really sure how to articulate my point, the UK just doesn't FEEL bigger than other tournaments to me recently, possibly it's just because of the format change. Is it 8 tables they have in play in the earlier rounds, with half of them not watchable? And the shortened format. I just feel like Hearn has done it a disservice that's all.

It does make sense now and I get your point. It's true that there are not many differences between one tournament and another and I think that we made the same discussion when the International Championship was played.

It's more about history and tradition, that the UK Championship is still considered as a major.

Postby snucar

Finally, the first major of the season. The Players Championship as they call it. Even in this format, this tournament stands tall and way above everything else (worlds excluded of course) the tour has to offer. There must be a reason why half of the top 10 players in the world tossed the Irish Open down the toilet to prepare this one.

Bring it on!

Does anyone know if there's a chance to watch the early rounds matches somewhere, before the BBC coverage begins on Saturday?

Postby Andre147

Only because it has history on it's side, otherwise if the IC was played in England it would get much bigger recognition than it has. Being being in China whether we like it or not still has an impact over that.

But obviously this one is still a big tournament, one of the so called TC events ( a term not too popular around here for some) which I can understand because after all the "TC" thing was something the Beeb brought to make people think their events were bigger and more important than the others, when in fact maybe only the Worlds was.

Still, this is the 2nd event carrying most prize money ranking (along with IC) so despite everything it still is important.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:But obviously this one is still a big tournament, one of the so called TC events ( a term not too popular around here for some) which I can understand because after all the "TC" thing was something the Beeb brought to make people think their events were bigger and more important than the others, when in fact maybe only the Worlds was.

Postby Andre147

Plus, if I had to choose between Ronnie winning this or The Masters, I wouldn't think twice and would choose this one all day long. It's a ranker and a big one. Ronnie could do with winning a big ranking event to help his ranking position. It's allright him winning events like the Welsh last seaason, but those are still low tariff events, this one is not.

Postby snucar

Andre147 wrote:Only because it has history on it's side, otherwise if the IC was played in England it would get much bigger recognition than it has. Being being in China whether we like it or not still has an impact over that.

But obviously this one is still a big tournament, one of the so called TC events ( a term not too popular around here for some) which I can understand because after all the "TC" thing was something the Beeb brought to make people think their events were bigger and more important than the others, when in fact maybe only the Worlds was.

Still, this is the 2nd event carrying most prize money ranking (along with IC) so despite everything it still is important.

There's so much wrong in this analysis I don't even know where to start.

Postby Andre147

snucar wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Only because it has history on it's side, otherwise if the IC was played in England it would get much bigger recognition than it has. Being being in China whether we like it or not still has an impact over that.

There's so much wrong in this analysis I don't even know where to start.

Start where you want :wave:

There's no denying it, the UK is nowhere near as great as it once was with the Best of 17s... not even going back to the Best of 33 Final..

Despite everything, and like I said, it still is the 2nd biggest tournament we have, and I for one would love f Ronnie won a 6th and be level with Davis, one above Hendry. That would be dream. :-D

Postby snucar

You do realize that the IC is an exact copy of the UK Championship in almost every aspect, don't you? So I don't see why you seem warmer to the IC and a bit bitter about the UK. And history, my good Andre, is not such a small factor. You win the UK and your name goes side by side with ALL the greatest players the game has ever knew, you win the IC and your name keeps company to...Trump, Ding, Walden, Higgins and that's it. Sure, a fantastic achievement but I think you can easily spot the difference.

Andre147 wrote:But obviously this one is still a big tournament, one of the so called TC events ( a term not too popular around here for some) which I can understand because after all the "TC" thing was something the Beeb brought to make people think their events were bigger and more important than the others, when in fact maybe only the Worlds was.

I know that the BBC gets a lot of hate these days and rightly so but it's mainly due to lacking of good commentators and perhaps the interval specials might seem a bit outdated. But you have to remember that the BBC defined how snooker should be covered on TV back in the glory days and its tournaments were head and shoulders better than the rest of the tour, setting the standards for everyone else. If you ask me, they still are, despite the problems we all have mentioned a zillion of times. Do you really think Eurosport is really doing a much better job just because it has Ronnie in the studio? I love him as a player but as a commentator he's as boring as Ken Doherty if you ask me. Full of cliches and brings nothing new. I won't even start about Jimmy White or Murray and Foulds. Only ITV is doing a slightly better job both on commentating and production values but the general picture and patterns is still the very same as the BBC (I repeat) defined long time a go.

So, I firmly believe those 3 tournaments deserve to be there on top of others because this is where most of snooker's history has been made and that's something all the Opens, IC, CoC etc can't buy.
Last edited by snucar on 21 Nov 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

You do make good valid points Snucar!

And I never said the UK isn't still the 2nd biggest tournament, because it still is. When you value a player's greatness, the first thing that comes to mind is how many Worlds he's won and how many TC events he's won.

I would much much rather Ronnie won 1 UK Champs than 2 or 3 ICs if you ask me. I just think the huge prestige the UK carried has been lost, but by no means does that mean it still isn't an important tournament, because t still clearly is mate.

I think we both agree (and you're older than me so you know how great the UK was back then) that the UK Champs isn't as great, but winning it is still what all player's want on their CV, and I say again a player's career is defined by how many TC he has won.

Ronnie stands on 16, Hendry on that 18, and Ronnie winning this one would not only put him only 1 behind Hendry, but more importantly level with Davis and 1 above Hendry in terms of hw many UKs he's won.

Postby snucar

Andre147 wrote:I would much much rather Ronnie won 1 UK Champs than 2 or 3 ICs if you ask me.

You can safely bet SnookerFan's house on that. ;-)

Andre147 wrote:I think we both agree (and you're older than me so you know how great the UK was back then) that the UK Champs isn't as great.

I'll tell you more, not even the Masters is as great as it was. I like Ally Pally a lot as a venue but the days of Wembley were something else. The pressure the players were put under was twice as much as it is today.

Personally, even the Worlds is not the same. It just don't feel the same ever since Embassy is not there as a sponsor.

Postby Andre147

Times move on, regardless. Those 3 events are still head and shoulders above the rest.

The UK is the one which has suffered the most, The Masters and the Worlds haven't changed formats... but I wouldn't put it past Hearn to change some things in those... when he first came in he said those 3 tournaments he would never touch, but he did touch the UK.. remains to be seen if he'll do the same thing to the other 2, hope not.