Post a reply

Liang Wenbo watch

Postby SnookerFan

The only player to be on for a million, how far will be get?

Will he win part 2 of the four part challenge?

Discuss.

Re: Liang Wenbo watch

Postby PoolBoy

He's playing Nigel Bond in the last-128 in Belfast. Should be favourite to win - but in a first-to-4 format, if he starts badly he could be in difficulty!
However, he's got a 'good' draw, and I think he could reach the latter stages, keeping the £MILLION alive.

On paper, he should be playing Stephen Maguire in the quarter-finals and then Ronnie/Higgins in the semis!

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:<ok> SnookerFan
I love a watch thread

On http://event-prediction.com/ I've got Ricky beating Liang Wenbo in the final :-D

The problem is, once Liang Wenbo goes out, the #onforamillion is over. We can't watch whoever beats him, there'd be no point.

Postby sundaygirl

The problem is, once Liang Wenbo goes out, the #onforamillion is over. We can't watch whoever beats him, there'd be no point.

There being no point has never prevented you starting a thread before! Why start now? :chuckle:

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:

There being no point has never prevented you starting a thread before! Why start now? :chuckle:

:bird:

Postby SnookerFan

Maybe I'll start a SundayGirl watch thread. We'll watch until she says something sarcastic. Won't take very long. :grrr:

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:He plays Mark King tomorrow!
Tough game over the first-to-four format...

But, as it stands, the million....

IS ON!

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Knocked out by the eventual champion. Liang might not have been far off winning this one either.

Postby Vallomas

I was coming to write about that, although I didn't remenber that King beat Liang in the early stages -it seems like months ago.

So, a Mark King watch thread is worth of it for the Scottish Open, even if there is no million any more.

Postby SnookerFan

Vallomas wrote:I was coming to write about that, although I didn't remenber that King beat Liang in the early stages -it seems like months ago.

So, a Mark King watch thread is worth of it for the Scottish Open, even if there is no million any more.

:zzz:

The million, is off....

Postby PoolBoy

What would have been really interesting is if the Million was definitely there to be won - by the player coming top of the Home Nations Series 'Order of Merit'!
That would ensure all the players entered all 4 events and the drama would almost certainly extend to the latter stages of the 4th tournament.

I'll do an 'Order of Merit' later today for the two completed competitions...

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:What would have been really interesting is if the Million was definitely there to be won - by the player coming top of the Home Nations Series 'Order of Merit'!
That would ensure all the players entered all 4 events and the drama would almost certainly extend to the latter stages of the 4th tournament.

I'll do an 'Order of Merit' later today for the two completed competitions...

I know we've joked about the million, but in seriousness it's just a gimmick. Nothing more.

Hearn wants the million to be theoretically achievable, but I doubt he actually wants it to ever be won. Which is why it's awarded for something that's so ridiculously hard to achieve. He wants people to dicuss the million, but I can't believe he actually wants it to be won.

With all this talk of players being skint we've had this weekend, you'd think a spare million pounds could be put to something more useful. At the end of the day, just because we've got a ranking event played in England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales, doesn't mean we've got to work that hard to link the four tournaments. It doesn't really add anything.

If we can get a million extra in sponsorship money, why not spread it over the prize pots of several tournaments?

Postby Vallomas

I am sure that the million never existed. I mean that Barry Hearn probably hadn't ensured by any sponsor that amount of money, he just announced knowing that it's impossible for any player to win these four tournaments. But he managed to make people discussing about it, even when the winner of the first tournament was knocked out of the second.

Postby PoolBoy

If there was an 'Order of Merit', it would currently look like this (Top 16):

Liang Wenbo 72,500
Mark King 72,500
Barry Hawkins 50,000
Anthony Hamilton 30,000
Judd Trump 30,000
Kyren Wilson 23,500
Stuart Bingham 20,000
John Higgins 16,000
Mark Williams 16,000
Mark Allen 13,500
Ricky Walden 13,500
Chris Wakelin 12,500
Michael White 12,500
Yan Bingtao 12,000
Hossein Vafaei Ayouri 10,000
Ronnie O'Sullivan 9,500

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Funny that Hearn hasn't come up with a format like this for darts. Looking at this years tv events I can't understand why.

World Championship - Gary Anderson
The Masters - Michael Van Gerwen
UK Open - Michael Van Gerwen
Premier League - Michael Van Gerwen
World Cup - England
World Matchplay - Michael Van Gerwen
Champions League - Phil Taylor
World Grand Prix - Michael Van Gerwen
European Masters - Michael Van Gerwen
World Series - Michael Van Gerwen
Grand Slam of Darts - Michael Van Gerwen

Postby PoolBoy

Good point! Nobody will dominate snooker like players can do in darts!
Although Michael van Gerwen is simply phenomenal!

I agree, hearn knows that nobody will win all-4 Home Series events.
Which is why he'd not go for the 'Order of Merit' option...or even a play-off between the 4 winners! (for example)