Post a reply

Re: Best Players Who Have Never Won A Ranking Event

Postby PoolBoy

Ryan Day is usually the name first mentioned, but that's a good 'shout' with Kirk Stevens!
Going further back, Eddie Charlton was in the era when the rankings were being introduced, so some of his tournament wins weren't recognised as rankers.

But, Mark King's win yesterday should give players a boost! Never say never!

Postby Vallomas

I felt the same with Ryan Day, but it's clear even for me now that Anthony Hamilton is the best player who have never done it. He had a great chance in Belfast, but... I hope that this won't affect his recent form and finally make it, what a class player and guy.

Michael Holt wouldn't be included in the list at the beginning of 2016, but seems like a strong candidate now to be the next one.

Postby SnookerEd25

whitespider wrote:John Virgo? :weeds:

Won the Uk Championship in 79 but wasn't a ranker. Reached the semis of the WC once I think as well.

Admittedly he only had two good seasons.

pffft. For Virgo, mediocrity was something to aspire to.

Having said that, i'd rather he was still playing than commentating :mood:

Postby Iranu

SnookerEd25 wrote:
whitespider wrote:John Virgo? :weeds:

Won the Uk Championship in 79 but wasn't a ranker. Reached the semis of the WC once I think as well.

Admittedly he only had two good seasons.

pffft. For Virgo, mediocrity was something to aspire to.

Having said that, i'd rather he was still playing than commentating :mood:

But then how would we know where the cueball's going??

Postby Andre147

sas6789 wrote:Who are some of the best players who have never won a ranking title in their career? For me there's:

Ryan Day
Anthony Hamilton
Darren Morgan
Joe Swail
Mark Davis
Kirk Stevens

Any others?

Jamie Cope too, especially early on in his career when he reached those 2 Finals in the space of 1 year. He then had those eye problems and had to be submited to surgery. Never the same player after that, but a cracking talent.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
Jamie Cope too, especially early on in his career when he reached those 2 Finals in the space of 1 year. He then had those eye problems and had to be submited to surgery. Never the same player after that, but a cracking talent.

#bottlejob

Postby davisfan

Ronnie79 wrote:Cope actually has a tremor in his hands which has basically ruined his career

Poor guy.

But now I can't help picturing him in Doctor Strange gear, conjuring dimensional portals from Ponds Forge to his house. Would seriously save on travel expenses.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Didn't think of it at the time but looking at Cue Tracker the obvious one must be Gary Wilkinson. Never won a ranking title but won the 1991 World Matchplay with the following results.

5-1 Dean Reynolds
9-8 John Parrott
9-6 Jimmy White
18-11 Steve Davis