Post a reply

Barry Hearn or John Davison. Who do you Back ??

Barry Hearn
75%
John Davison
25%

Total votes : 4

Snooker's Power Struggle

Postby Wildey

who only a year ago would have seen this coming.

snooker the so called dying sport in the middle of a power struggle lol

it just shows perception is everything just by becoming involved in the sport again Barry Hearn has woken up a sleeping giant and possibly shown other people snooker is worth investing in.
Last edited by Wildey on 29 May 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Snooker's Power Struggle

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:who only a year ago would have seen this coming.

it just shows perception is everything just by becoming involved in the sport again Barry Hearn has woken up a sleeping giant and possibly shown other people snooker is worth investing in.

i thought you werent taking this rival "bid" seriously Wild :john:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:

i thought you werent taking this rival "bid" seriously Wild :john:

im not you could say this article/thread is a bit tongue in cheak..

all the years snooker being in limbo going nowhere stale all of a sudden everyone coming out of the woodwork lol

what has davidson being doing for the last 8 bloody years ???

Postby N_Castle07

Total agree Wild Hearn has brought a lot of excitement to this game. Its great to over hear people in the pubs talk about snooker and how Hearn wants to take it to the level of Darts. These people who are more snooker admirers than fans so its great to hear people talking about snooker who normally wouldn’t, hopefully the next few seasons will see more fans. Hearn may have a lot of people who disagree with his business manner and his view on taking snooker to a higher level but I don’t think there is anyone out there who could disagree that he has brought the buzz back to snooker.

Postby SnookerFan

N_Castle07 wrote:

Total agree Wild Hearn has brought a lot of excitement to this game. Its great to over hear people in the pubs talk about snooker and how Hearn wants to take it to the level of Darts. These people who are more snooker admirers than fans so its great to hear people talking about snooker who normally wouldn’t, hopefully the next few seasons will see more fans. Hearn may have a lot of people who disagree with his business manner and his view on taking snooker to a higher level but I don’t think there is anyone out there who could disagree that he has brought the buzz back to snooker.

Depends what you mean by the buzz.... Personally, I've not heard anybody in the pubs discussing Barry Hearn, or snooker. But that may just be me not overhearing it, I've not gone looking. I have had a lot more people come up to me and ask me about snooker, but unfortunately that is because of John Higgins, not Hearn.

I have, however, seen people on internet forums almost come themselves at what Barry is offering. Which is odd, because the only new tournament I care about is the one in Germany, and to be fair I'd prefer that was longer. The Sky Shoot out thing will be about as interesting as watching your gran having a dump, and I am thoroughly baffled by any snooker fans who say they are more excited now about the World Open then the Grand Prix. :huh2:

But, you're right. He has at least got us talking about what's going to happen next...

Postby N_Castle07

SnookerFan wrote:
N_Castle07 wrote:

Depends what you mean by the buzz.... Personally, I've not heard anybody in the pubs discussing Barry Hearn, or snooker. But that may just be me not overhearing it, I've not gone looking. I have had a lot more people come up to me and ask me about snooker, but unfortunately that is because of John Higgins, not Hearn.

I have, however, seen people on internet forums almost come themselves at what Barry is offering. Which is odd, because the only new tournament I care about is the one in Germany, and to be fair I'd prefer that was longer. The Sky Shoot out thing will be about as interesting as watching your gran having a dump, and I am thoroughly baffled by any snooker fans who say they are more excited now about the World Open then the Grand Prix. :huh2:

But, you're right. He has at least got us talking about what's going to happen next...

snookerfan whats your thoughts on the PTC ?

Postby Wildey

snookerfan

next season there are 20 Ranking Tournaments.

ok some are minor than others but they Ranking and they will Work Towards having a better World Ranking Lists where you got to be more consistant to maintain a Ranking.

if you win 5 out of 12 PTC you would get 10,000 Ranking points plus whatever else you get from last 16, Q/F etc of other PTC.

Postby Casey

Musgrave

‘snookerfan

next season there are 20 Ranking Tournaments.’

Well there will be 7 ranking events in the traditional sense, the PTC is a great idea but it is also proposed under the counter offer.

So for talks sake would you rather have 12 PTC events and 7 ranking + 1 non ranking

Or

6 PTC and 10 ranking + 2 non ranking?

Obviously its not as simple as that, but if Davison is willing to put cash in the kitty and not take any money out for himself unless there is 2 million in the bank….why couldn’t Hearn do the same?

Postby Monique

No, it's not as simple as that. I can take a sheet of paper and write that I will offer 30 ranking events. Until I see the evidence that those ranking events really exist, I have very big doubts. And isn't it convenient to come out with this offer just 6 days before the EGM so that there isn't obviously time to cross-examine it seriously?

Now to answer your initial question and in all seriousness I would go for the 12 PTC (carrying minor ranking status anyway) and 7 rankings + Masters ... players need to play more, and to play also in more relaxed conditions where they can express themselves. Snooker needs to get more international and I'm afraid the European part of PTC might well be the one to go to the bin with Davison's plans (that is one thing that is kept unclear). Also it's not healthy for the future of the game to focus only on the top 64. Involving the amateurs like Hearn does is a way to boost grassroot snooker and God knows it needs it!

Postby Wildey

case

there are 20 ranking tournaments in the same way tennis has different tier of tournaments carrieng veried Ranking points yes obviously winning a PTC Event will not mean if Ronnie wins all of them he will be on 35 Ranking tournaments no but they are points to be won.

i dont like people who gets involved with something just because someone else has.

had Barry Hearn not got involved would we have had a offer from Davidson ???

i had my misgivings about hearn but at least he had the balls to come in off his own bat instead of davidson who now the door open he thinks of putting his foot through the door.

if he didn't have the guts last year year before that then he can buck off now.

Postby Casey

'No, it's not as simple as that. I can take a sheet of paper and write that I will offer 30 ranking events. Until I see the evidence that those ranking events really exist, I have very big doubts'

Hearn got voted in with no plans in hand whatsoever.

As for the PTC events, yes they are great playing opportunities but in terms of players benefiting the extra ranking events would be more beneficial.

18 events v 21 events. However more of the 18 would be broadcast on TV rather than streamed online like Barry's plan, also the player stand to financially benefit from this.

Davision is willing to RISK his own money, Hearn has not and does not intend to put a penny in.
The directors will not take a penny unless there is 2 mill profit at the end of every year, that is a massive commitment.

As for why this deal has only come up now? Well it takes time to secure broadcasting deals, ranking events etc. the opportunity has only arose in the last 6 months, so imo that is a quick turnaround to come up with a plan as comprehensive as this.

I view this new plan as a contingency if Hearn's is not passed, all the skepticism is laughable because if Hearn goes snooker was dead in the water. People should welcome competition, it works for every other sport but snooker fans........nope its just too much for them

Postby Wildey

case

the season about to start lol

are we going to cancel most of this season so that davison gets a chance to organise things properly or what ???

Postby Monique

Has Davison secured those 10 ranking events? Has he secured broadcasting? From what I read It is all plans and intentions. Remember just before Hearn was voted in WPBSA also came with a plan. What happened to that? What happened to the multiple promises we had before over the years?
I agree that competition is a good thing and having another offer - if genuine - is a good thing. But I'm afraid the timing of this announcement does nothing to help me trust it. And the fact that it comes on the 110 sport site after Lee Doyle resigned form the board doesn't help either. Snooker has been plagued with inner wars and power fighting over the years.
I know Davison is a sucessfull business man, no question, but I would feel much more positive if he had come out as an independent candidate and three or four months earlier.

Postby Casey

He has said there 'will' be 10 ranking events. As for the previous boards offer of 15 ranking events, that is totally irrelevant, another group of people whatsoever.

What’s this got to do with 110sport? They have announced this on their website but have no connection to the deal. They simply were to first to publicly announce it, TBH 110 sport would jump on anything to shift out Hearn.
That’s why I though Davidson was clever to announce and detail all the people involved in this.

Postby Monique

What this has got to do with 110 is just one other question I'm asking myself. Are you certain they did not have a hand in it, even if no 110 "name" appears in the document? As you say they would do anything to shift out Hearn...
There are way too many things that are unclear to me and no time to get answers to those questions.

Postby Casey

For me the timing of this is very disappointing. For real consideration it needed to be out there before the players meeting.

I fully expect Barry’s plans to be pushed through, if not then at least there is something to fall back on.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Has Davison secured those 10 ranking events? Has he secured broadcasting? From what I read It is all plans and intentions. Remember just before Hearn was voted in WPBSA also came with a plan. What happened to that? What happened to the multiple promises we had before over the years?
I agree that competition is a good thing and having another offer - if genuine - is a good thing. But I'm afraid the timing of this announcement does nothing to help me trust it. And the fact that it comes on the 110 sport site after Lee Doyle resigned form the board doesn't help either. Snooker has been plagued with inner wars and power fighting over the years.
I know Davison is a sucessfull business man, no question, but I would feel much more positive if he had come out as an independent candidate and three or four months earlier.

Snooker has been plagued with inner wars and power fighting over the years.

<ok> spot on

thats been going on in snooker since early 80s when WPBSA Pushed out mike watterson to gain control of the sport and its gone on ever since.

we need to move away from that and now even more infighting <doh>

Postby Casey

I have yet to get an answer so I will ask again (although it does pick a big hole in most peoples arguement) What had hearn secured when he was up for the board? What had he planned out? Eh nothning is the answer.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:I have yet to get an answer so I will ask again (although it does pick a big hole in most peoples arguement) What had hearn secured when he was up for the board? What had he planned out? Eh nothning is the answer.

nothing but he had time on his hands to organize a new season Davison got zero time to organize another 3 rankers in between dates for other CONFIRMED TOURNAMENTS.

Postby Wildey

susy

i have no doubt davison is a credable person however i do not understand this bid so late in the day it seems rushed and not really thought through that well.

its put together quickly knowing that a vote happening next week.

Postby Casey

Wild, this deal has almost certainly come to late as I would imagine the players minds are made up. However in the unlikely event of Hearn being voted out at least there is another possibility and the game wouldn’t necessarily be dead in the water.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:Wild, this deal has almost certainly come to late as I would imagine the players minds are made up. However in the unlikely event of Hearn being voted out at least there is another possibility and the game wouldn’t necessarily be dead in the water.

ill be honset with you case great JD Showing a intrest but my fear is should hearn not get voted in next week this seson will be dominated by meetings,voting,counter voting and never ending unrest. as you pointed out there will have to be another vote ferther ahead and then the pro hearn brigade might vote against that and then both men walk away and we are screwed.

Postby Casey

Well if the players are that petty then they deserve nothing. They should vote for the plan that they believe to be the best for the game. Peter Ebdon for example is being petty.

He complained about Hearn wanting 51% but has not spoken out against Davison’s 63% . he clearly has his own agenda and its not linked to what’s best for the game

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:He complained about Hearn wanting 51% but has not spoken out against Davison’s 63% . he clearly has his own agenda and its not linked to what’s best for the game

yes its unbelievable isnt it.

even fans on TSF and 606 speaking out against hearn wanting 51% supporting davison and he wants 63%

i just want the best for snooker and unrest like this so close to a vote scares me.

Postby Casey

I just want the best deal for snooker. Although Witz would try and make out I have an anti Hearn agenda :redneck: I could easily say he is so pro Hearn he is blinded to everything else

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:I just want the best deal for snooker. Although Witz would try and make out I have an anti Hearn agenda :redneck: I could easily say he is so pro Hearn he is blinded to everything else

i just wished this proposal had been given before may the 5th then players gets a straight choice next wendsday then on thursday everything sorted we move on.