Post a reply

Evergrande China Championship Round 1 !!!!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Tuesday 1st ~ Saturday 5th of November at Guangzhou Sports Venue, China

China Championship is a new tournament that carries a first prize of £200,000 the highest first prize outside the World Championship (£330,000) , the Masters (£210,000) and the 1991 Mita World Masters Men's Singles (£200,000).

The Event consists of 16 players made up of top 10 in the world rankings, top 4 on the one year money list not already qualified and two wild cards who were Marco Fu and new English Open winner Marco Fu.

Ronnie O'Sullivan has declined the invitation and his place goes to another Snooker Legend Mark Williams.

From 2017 for the next 3 years it will become a Ranking event with 128 players taking part.

Who will reach the Quarter Finals?

DRAW

Round 1

Mark Selby v Anthony McGill Selby leads 4-2
Mark Allen v Ricky Walden Tied at 8-8
John Higgins v Mark J Williams Higgins leads 29-18
Judd Trump v Allister Carter Trump leads 9-8
-------------------------------------------------------------
Shaun Murphy v Joe Perry Murphy leads 7-5
Ding Junhui v Marco Fu Ding Junhui leads 9-4
Neil Robertson v Michael Holt Robertson leads 7-2
Stuart Bingham v Liang Wenbo Liang Wenbo leads 4-2

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Evergrande China Championship Round 1 !!!!!

Postby PoolBoy

SnookerFan wrote:What's the match length of the first round, by the way?

First to 6. The quarter-finals are also first-to-6.
Semi-finals are first-to-9, with the final being first-to-10.

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:What's the match length of the first round, by the way?

First to 6. The quarter-finals are also first-to-6.
Semi-finals are first-to-9, with the final being first-to-10.

Thanks, man. :hatoff:

Postby PLtheRef

It should be a good event - its certainly something I'd like to see in the Masters in terms of the semi-finals being best of 17.

Don't like the idea of it being a pilot competition though. - China is not, and of course now never will be new territory for snooker so why we need to have a pilot tournament before creating another Chinese ranking event is beyond me.

We've got something rather fresh here, a truer invitational than some other events with a stand alone format. So it certainly makes logical sense to change it into a 128 man ranking event like nearly every other ranking event on the calendar.

Postby SnookerFan

PLtheRef wrote:It should be a good event - its certainly something I'd like to see in the Masters in terms of the semi-finals being best of 17.

Don't like the idea of it being a pilot competition though. - China is not, and of course now never will be new territory for snooker so why we need to have a pilot tournament before creating another Chinese ranking event is beyond me.

We've got something rather fresh here, a truer invitational than some other events with a stand alone format. So it certainly makes logical sense to change it into a 128 man ranking event like nearly every other ranking event on the calendar.

Actually, why don't they make best of 17s at the Masters? It starts on a Sunday anyway. Why not start it a day earlier, and have the Friday and second Saturday put aside for best of 17 matches?

Postby PoolBoy

Astonishing money available in this!
As CueView's excellent preview states, it's £15,000 just for chalking your cue!
A HUGE pot of £200,000 to the winner - so this will be taken very seriously by the players - although it could be argued it's an exhibition event.

But, without the pressure of ranking points, I fancy Judd Trump to win this!

Anybody else have a hunch?

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:Astonishing money available in this!
A HUGE pot of £200,000 to the winner - so this will be taken very seriously by the players - although it could be argued it's an exhibition event.

Judd has already had success this season, of course. Something tells me Selby gets another tournament though. He looked more relaxed and happy last week.

Postby Wildey

its a invitational like the masters and COC.

I think these events improves the tour. theres too much rankers and not enough invitationals to compliment them.

Postby PLtheRef

Wildey wrote:

its a invitational like the masters and COC.

I think these events improves the tour. theres too much rankers and not enough invitationals to compliment them.

And to add, there is something unique about this one, as there should be.

Like I said, I think World Snooker are missing a trick with this for next year. And this could show they're missing a trick with the Masters

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

SnookerFan wrote:Actually, why don't they make best of 17s at the Masters? It starts on a Sunday anyway. Why not start it a day earlier, and have the Friday and second Saturday put aside for best of 17 matches?

For the last ten years or so the Masters has started the same day that the BDO World Darts Championship has ended. That tournament has been dropped by the BBC (in large part because Hearn wouldn't let them show PDC darts without ditching BDO) and they might be able to extend it for a day.

Postby Vallomas

OoNebsoO wrote:Allen - Walden match available anywhere?

Only on ES Player. Allen had the chance to steal the least two frames, but missed the final green, so Walden has taken a 3-1 lead without playing something special.

Selby is dominating (4-0), but McGill threw a lot of chances he had to win at least one frame.

Postby Midnight Express

Hi guys, new member here :)
But I've been reading posts on this forum for ages, best snooker forum~

I'm looking forward to this tournament, should be great fun :)

By the way,
Aspect ratio is wrong on eurosport,
The camera is zoomed incorrectly maybe. Anyway I changed TV settings from 16:9 to 4:3 and the table looks much better.

Postby Midnight Express

Guys, who is your pick to win this tournament???

I'm going with Judd Trump!
The Ace in the pack will be back this week full of energy :)

Also, Liang Wenbo could win too.
He's playing really great recently and last week only lost to eventual winner Mark Selby in a decider frame. He also has home advantage.
Go go go Wenbo~~~~