Should Robbo get fined for this?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes : 12

Should Robbo get fined for this?

Postby Andre147

After a lengthy discussion about this issue on the IC Semis thread, I decided to create one here regarding this bizarre incident :dizzy:

Vote Yes or No if you think Robbo should get fined.

I personally voted Yes, I like players showing their emotions on the table and all, but there are limits to it.

Re: Should Robbo get fined for this?

Postby Wildey

yes that was bang out of order and could have hit either referee, Perry or a member of the audience he was extremely lucky where that cue ball ended up

Postby pasunegirafe

Fine him for throwing the cue ball? I would say, yes. It's not only unsportsmanlike, but also very careless. As Wild already said, it could have hit someone. Also, it could have damaged the cue ball.
A fine is appropriate to discourage this kind of behavior.

It's okay to show you're frustrated, but it's not okay to almost hit the cue ball into the audience.

If the cue ball had hit/hurt someone, would it be an automatic forfeit?

Postby Cloud Strife

Saw a side to Robertson which I'd never seen before....and I liked it. Good on him.

If I was him I'd just ignore the puritans.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:yes that was bang out of order and could have hit either referee, Perry or a member of the audience he was extremely lucky where that cue ball ended up

How could it have hit Perry when Perry had already walked out of the arena ahead of him? If anything he would have been extremely UNlucky had it hit anyone, as he only flicked the ball with his cue.

Postby SnookerFan

Either a fine or a warning that he'll be fined if he does it again.

For somebody who was heartbroken when he beat Robbo in a final, this was douchebaggery from Robertson.

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:Is Robbo actually having a bit of a wobble? In his life? Happens to the best of us.

Why was he so annoyed? At a ref'a decision? His form?

He was annoyed for playing like marmite. End of.

Postby Dan-cat

Cloud Strife wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Is Robbo actually having a bit of a wobble? In his life? Happens to the best of us.

Why was he so annoyed? At a ref'a decision? His form?

He was annoyed for playing like marmite. End of.

Don't you mean vegemite?

Postby Alex0paul

6 year ban and a fine equivalent to the total career prize money he has earned

Postby Cloud Strife

Alex0paul wrote:6 year ban and a fine equivalent to the total career prize money he has earned

And deportation back to Australia.

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:6 year ban and a fine equivalent to the total career prize money he has earned

Seems a bit lenient. Is execution still legal is Australia? :wave:
Last edited by SnookerFan on 30 Oct 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:I think he should have to cover himself in vegemite for his next 3 tournaments. Green up, if you will. It's vegan at least.

Pity Michaela Tabb never had the same punishment. :evilgrin:

Postby PLtheRef

I think so. It doesn't need to be a large fine as obviously it's rather out of character for Robertson (or indeed anyone) to react like this. But there does need to be some slap on the wrist.

I cannot say for sure what would have happened had the cue-ball bounced off the table and hit someone - (whether that be, referee, opponent or spectator) but presumably it would be a matter for the tournament director. It wouldn't surprise me though IF that situation did occur that a player may well be defaulted from the tournament.

Postby SnookerFan

PLtheRef wrote:I think so. It doesn't need to be a large fine as obviously it's rather out of character for Robertson (or indeed anyone) to react like this. But there does need to be some slap on the wrist.

I cannot say for sure what would have happened had the cue-ball bounced off the table and hit someone - (whether that be, referee, opponent or spectator) but presumably it would be a matter for the tournament director. It wouldn't surprise me though IF that situation did occur that a player may well be defaulted from the tournament.

Yeah, It was a stupid thing to do.

A heat of the moment thing, I believe. But it certainly needs to be made clear to Robertson not to do it again.

Postby Vallomas

I have seen all this and I am very curious to learn what have happened. It's very strange for any player to react like this, especially when the opponent is one of his best friends.

Robertson didn't mention anything about the incident in twitter, neither Perry or the rest of the players...

Postby Dan-cat

Vallomas wrote:I have seen all this and I am very curious to learn what have happened. It's very strange for any player to react like this, especially when the opponent is one of his best friends.

Robertson didn't mention anything about the incident in twitter, neither Perry or the rest of the players...

It has been properly covered up hasn't it?

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:

Maybe World Snooker assume that people won't notice at a Eurosport only event?

They tend to only be watched by the hardcore.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:yes that was bang out of order and could have hit either referee, Perry or a member of the audience he was extremely lucky where that cue ball ended up

How could it have hit Perry when Perry had already walked out of the arena ahead of him? If anything he would have been extremely UNlucky had it hit anyone, as he only flicked the ball with his cue.

yea and Robbo's frustration was contrived "ok joe out of the arena ill throw the cueball off the table now"

it was a moment and neil had no idea what was happening or where the cueball would land.

of course if you was in the audience i would hope it would hit you and then maybe just maybe knock some sense in to you <ok>

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

yea and Robbo's frustration was contrived "ok joe out of the arena ill throw the cueball off the table now"

it was a moment and neil had no idea what was happening or where the cueball would land.

of course if you was in the audience i would hope it would hit you and then maybe just maybe knock some sense in to you <ok>

I'm not saying it was contrived, he was clearly frustrated. And I'm fully behind Robertson on this. Snooker players are not robots (except maybe Hendry) and we should not expect them to be either. Frustration is allowed, IMO.

What I was questioning is your suggestion that the cueball might have hit someone. Firstly, Perry was already out of arena as I've mentioned. Secondly, this was China, you'd be lucky to get one man and his dog in audience most of the time so the chances of hitting a fan would have been slim too, to say the least.

Personally, I suspect you are simply being melodramatic and trying to blow this incident out of all proportion. <ok>

Postby Vallomas

Dan-cat wrote:
Vallomas wrote:I have seen all this and I am very curious to learn what have happened. It's very strange for any player to react like this, especially when the opponent is one of his best friends.

Nope, it wasn't on TV neither on ES Player.

Postby PLtheRef

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

I'm not saying it was contrived, he was clearly frustrated. And I'm fully behind Robertson on this. Snooker players are not robots (except maybe Hendry) and we should not expect them to be either. Frustration is allowed, IMO.

What I was questioning is your suggestion that the cueball might have hit someone. Firstly, Perry was already out of arena as I've mentioned. Secondly, this was China, you'd be lucky to get one man and his dog in audience most of the time so the chances of hitting a fan would have been slim too, to say the least.

Personally, I suspect you are simply being melodramatic and trying to blow this incident out of all proportion. <ok>

Yes, Robertson was clearly frustrated with his performance. That's fine. Players do get annoyed with themselves and on occasion will allow their frustrations to get the better of them.

Though it's clear that Robertson had no bad intentions other than allowing his frustration to boil over, that doesn't make what he did right or appease it. Even if Perry had left the auditorium and the crowd was sparse at best. It would be rather unlikely (and unfortunate) that a ball would hit someone, but with a momentary lapse of control and frustrations anything could happen - even if there is no bad intention behind it.

An example could be when Tim Henman accidentally hit a ballgirl with a ball he had smashed away in anger back at Wimbledon some twenty years ago. There was no bad intention behind smashing the ball away - but in that case it did hit someone.

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:If he did that at the Crucible it would have landed in the middle of the crowd.

I hope it would hit Virgo.

Might stop him asking where the cueball is going.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:If he did that at the Crucible it would have landed in the middle of the crowd.

rofl rofl rofl rofl in his gob

Postby TheRocket

SnookerFan wrote:

rofl Thats a good one.