Post a reply

Belgian Championships...

Postby Monique

Congratulations to Luca Brecel Belgian Champion 2010; he beat Bjorn Hanneveer 7-4 and had a HB of 136 in the final
Luca is also under-16 champion 2010. He beat Gen Dosche 4-0 and finished with a century ... 101.
Wendy Jans is Ladies Belgian Champion again, beating Isabelle Jonckeere 4-0. Wendy's HB in the tournament was 80 (twice)

Both are now on their way to Bucharest to participate in the European Championships.

More detailed results - juniors, Masters, Master 50+, Billiard and teams ... and scores ... and pictures - coming tomorrow.

Guys I'm dead on my feet! It was tropical - hot and wet - in the venue :) nice venue BTW.

Re: Belgian Championships...

Postby Wildey

well played Luca cant wait to see if this guy has what it takes at top level

Postby Monique

I will comment on what I've seen tomorrow. Let's just say that Luca's attitude has evolved very positively since he trains in the academy.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:I will comment on what I've seen tomorrow. Let's just say that Luca's attitude has evolved very positively since he trains in the academy.

what happens with that now ?

has barry hearn stopped that.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:any word on whether Brecel will get on tour next season?

i think he has to be 16 he is 15 just had it.

his birthday is march the 8th so he should be eligible by the start of 2011/2012 season.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:

his birthday is march the 8th so he should be eligible by the start of 2011/2012 season.

i know but i thought Hearn might have waived this stupid discriminatory rule. If there good enough their old enough, and Brecel earned a place on last seasons tour by rights so should have been there. Plus hed add a lot of interest to the sport being so young, plus hed be a good figurehead for the expansion of the game into Europe.

In tennis age isnt an issue so i dont see how snooker with its far reduced calendar in comparison to tennis it is a problem. As it is Brecel plays amateur tournaments all over the place and is at the Academy a lot so thered be little difference if he was playing on the main tour.

Plus he could start to maximise his potential straight away and gain experience rather than run the risk of being another promising talent and kid tipped for the top who failed to live up to the hype

Postby Wildey

to be fair i dont think hearn has had much time to change things like that firstly will his plans be aproved and then this higgins buisness but who knows.

personally age is not important its individually if they ready they old enough.

Postby Monique

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

i know but i thought Hearn might have waived this stupid discriminatory rule. If there good enough their old enough, and Brecel earned a place on last seasons tour by rights so should have been there. Plus hed add a lot of interest to the sport being so young, plus hed be a good figurehead for the expansion of the game into Europe.

In tennis age isnt an issue so i dont see how snooker with its far reduced calendar in comparison to tennis it is a problem. As it is Brecel plays amateur tournaments all over the place and is at the Academy a lot so thered be little difference if he was playing on the main tour.

Plus he could start to maximise his potential straight away and gain experience rather than run the risk of being another promising talent and kid tipped for the top who failed to live up to the hype

Well I totally disagree with you here Witz. They might be good enough technically, they are still only kids. They don't necessarily have the maturity and the mental toughness to cope, and when they don't it's extremely destructive and damaging for their future. If they are succesful they are exposed to hangers around and sycophants and are often still very naive, hence vulnerable to exploitation. Look at what pressure, expectations and battle scars did to Ding. Read what Neil Robertson wrote about his first experience on the Main Tour... it was disaster and very nearly "killed" him as a snooker player. To me 16 is too early already; I would put the limit at 18.
I've seen Luca play and behave quite a few times now. He has the game, no doubt, but I can tell you he hasn't the maturity yet, and it shows in his attitude. I've seen a huge improvement since last season, really impressive, but waiting for another year certainly won't harm him, on the contrary. If he was on the MT next season I don't give him 3 months before he gets in controversy and trouble and fans start slagging him off. (yesterday for instance, Luca categorically refused to say a single word in front of the audience and the press after winning the Belgian Championship - it was left to Bjorn Hanneveer, the loser, to thank the audience, the sponsors, the venue managers, you name it ... he just stood there shaking his head and mute.)
Playing in amateur events isn't the same, the public exposure isn't the same , the pressure isn't the same ... and the money isn't the same. Give a kid too much money too early and you have a receipt for disaster.

Postby Wildey

monique

some 20 year olds are kids then some 14 year olds has more maturity it depends on the individual.

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:monique

some 20 year olds are kids then some 14 year olds has more maturity it depends on the individual.

It does depend on the individual, but the authorities can't start to play with exceptions and subjective decisions. Overall boys of 14 are mere kids and boys of 16 barely more than kids. I have seen Luca playing and I have seen how he behaves and for his own good he can't turn pro before he is 16.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:monique

It does depend on the individual, but the authorities can't start to play with exceptions and subjective decisions. Overall boys of 14 are mere kids and boys of 16 barely more than kids. I have seen Luca playing and I have seen how he behaves and for his own good he can't turn pro before he is 16.

na i do understand that there has to be a line in the sand you cant start to to tell a 22 year old your mindset is to young and alow a 14 year old to play.

Postby Eirebilly

Mon has it bang on. Luca, although more than good enough to compete with the big boys, is far from ready to. He may appear to some to have the maturity already but he has not of yet tastd defeat on the very big stage and that may affect him badly. Personally i feel 16 is also still too young, 17 or 18 would be more appropriate. This young man has the talent to be the best in the world at some stage in the future so for the good of of him (and snooker) it would be better to just let him develope fully first. Pushing him at such a young age could be very damaging for himself and rob snooker of a great prospect in the future.

I may be totally wrong but i still wouldnt want to risk this boys talent to early.

Postby Wildey

eirebilie has hit the nail on it head regarding young players coming on to tour.....as juniors they are a big fish in a small pond but at pro level they are tiny tiddlers trying to get through the bigger fishes until they reach the sharks.