Post a reply

Will Liang Wenbo win the million?

Postby SnookerFan

The tournament is over, only one man stands with the possibility of taking the million.

Can he do it? Will he do it? 25% of the way there.

One down, three to go. What are the Snooker Island predictions?

Re: Will Liang Wenbo win the million?

Postby PoolBoy

Absolutely NO CHANCE!
Here's a cached snapshot of Liang Wenbo's odds before the tornament startedshowing he was 80/1.
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=uk

If he's priced at that for the remaining 3 tournaments, then the odds of it actually happening would be 512,000/1....

A couple of quid on that and if it actually happened, then you'd pocket more than Wenbo's million!!! <laugh>

Postby Sickpotter

Short format makes it virtually impossible for anyone to do it.

Even the best of the best are beatable by anyone on the tour with a best of 7 format.

IMO they should have a bare minimum of best of 9 format for any ranking event.

Of course they don't really want to award the bonus for all 4 cups so the format is geared to make it virtually impossible.

Postby Cloud Strife

Sickpotter wrote:Short format makes it virtually impossible for anyone to do it.

Even the best of the best are beatable by anyone on the tour with a best of 7 format.

IMO they should have a bare minimum of best of 9 format for any ranking event.

Of course they don't really want to award the bonus for all 4 cups so the format is geared to make it virtually impossible.

That's why I so badly want to see someone do it. Just to see the look on Hearn's face haha. As you said though, it's virtually impossible to do under that format.

Postby Andre147

PoolBoy wrote:Yeah, Liang will probably be knocked-out in the last-32 or last-16 in Belfast and that-will-be-that!

Like you said above, no chance at all!

The format is a huge disadvantage. Plus the pressure on him or any other player would be immense.

If this were the 80s or 90s with Davis and Hendry around, it might have been possible, but even then it would be a long shot.

Postby Incident on 57th street 20

I will rank John Higgins and Mark Williams ( at their peak of course ) just behind the two greatest to achieve such a feat. In my opinion , Davis is not as good as to do big breaks and so win frame in one visit and can't domine in several tournaments with his game.
Snooker advanced from at the time of Davis at his peak.
But what a player. :-)

Postby PLtheRef

Chances are that he won't but of course, he's got more of a chance than anyone. The irony won't be lost if he goes out 4-0 in Belfast.

Impressed with Liang and how he won the final by a relatively comfortable margin though.

Postby Dan-cat

Incident on 57th street 20 wrote:I will rank John Higgins and Mark Williams ( at their peak of course ) just behind the two greatest to achieve such a feat. In my opinion , Davis is not as good as to do big breaks and so win frame in one visit and can't domine in several tournaments with his game.
Snooker advanced from at the time of Davis at his peak.
But what a player. :-)

People forget how good Davis was. I know, I was there. Because, he is my father. I can keep it secret no longer.

Postby TheSaviour

The possibility of this could not had been landed into anymore hilarious character. rofl rofl rofl :bump1: :bump1: :bump1: Lol! I mean Ronnie O´Sullivan´s practise partner and best friend. You can tell. But obviously there is some sharpness behind this. I am sure Liang wouldn´t mind at all taking the p***. Obviously he is dead serious about this. And I understand that. The situations is just so serious, and he needs more and more that good stuff. I KNOW YOU HAVE THAT GOOD STUFF I NEED THAT GOOD STUFF NOW! What else could he go for? But that´s just a downright comedy genius. Character is the correct word to describe Liang. They just don´t produce persons like that anymore.

This is an off-week, but then there´s a non-stop pro-snooker -> 18.12.

????

Postby SnookerFan

TheSaviour wrote:The possibility of this could not had been landed into anymore hilarious character. rofl rofl rofl :bump1: :bump1: :bump1: Lol! I mean Ronnie O´Sullivan´s practise partner and best friend. You can tell. But obviously there is some sharpness behind this. I am sure Liang wouldn´t mind at all taking the p***. Obviously he is dead serious about this. And I understand that. The situations is just so serious, and he needs more and more that good stuff. I KNOW YOU HAVE THAT GOOD STUFF I NEED THAT GOOD STUFF NOW! What else could he go for? But that´s just a downright comedy genius. Character is the correct word to describe Liang. They just don´t produce persons like that anymore.

This is an off-week, but then there´s a non-stop pro-snooker -> 18.12.

????

Don't produce people like that any more? He's only about 12.

Postby PoolBoy

I see Liang is 66/1 to win in Belfast and he's being quoted at similar odds for Glasgow.

So, it's 66/1 that the £Million is still 'alive' going to Glasgow - and (66 x 66) = 4,356/1 it's still there for Liang with the Welsh Open to go!