Post a reply

Tickect for World Open 2010 already on sale

Postby Monique

http://www.worldsnooker.com/news-153273.htm
Tickets For New World Open On Sale

Tickets go on sale this morning (Wednesday) for a unique and innovative new tournament on the World Snooker calendar: the World Open in Scotland in September.

The world ranking tournament runs from September 18 to 26 at the SECC in Glasgow and is set to feature the sport’s top stars, including Ronnie O’Sullivan, Mark Selby, Scottish legend Stephen Hendry and Betfred.com World Champion Neil Robertson.

The pioneering format includes:

- Scope for 32 amateur players to join the 96 professionals in the qualifying phase. These amateurs will include junior, international and women players, as well as winners from tournaments staged at Rileys and other independent snooker clubs. Matches involving some of the top players will be held over to the venue.

- A completely random FA Cup – style draw for all rounds, raising the possibility of top seeds going head-to-head early in the tournament.

- The action promises to be fast and furious, with all matches best-of-five frames, up until the final which will be best-of-nine.

World Snooker Chairman Barry Hearn said: “We wanted to come up with something really special to replace the Grand Prix event, and we believe we’ve done just that with the World Open.

“It will be fascinating to see how the best amateurs fare against the professionals. We could get a rags-to-riches story of an unknown player getting to the business end or giving one of the top stars a shock. The random draw has worked well in the past and the best-of-five matches will provide virtually non-stop action for the fans.

“I’d recommend anyone who loves snooker to get their tickets booked straight away because THIS EVENT CANNOT BE MISSED! The tournaments we’ve staged in Glasgow in recent years have been well supported but we want to see a full house this time! I can’t wait to see all the fans cheering their heroes on.”

Secure your seats from 9am on Wednesday by calling 0844 395 4000 or visiting www.ticketsoup.com. You can find more details on the format at www.worldsnooker.com/tickets

The World Open receives equal funding and support from EventScotland and Glasgow City Marketing Bureau.

Paul Bush OBE, Chief Operating Officer at EventScotland, the national events agency, said: “Snooker generates hours of valuable broadcast exposure for the city of Glasgow and is watched by millions of people around the world. We’re delighted to be hosting this new and exciting tournament in Scotland and we’re confident that it will attract impressive spectator numbers from across the UK. The new format of this event also means that amateurs will be given the opportunity to play against and alongside legends in the world of snooker which will ensure exciting clashes and fierce competition for spectators and viewers.”

Scott Taylor, Chief Executive, Glasgow City Marketing Bureau, said: “Having just been officially ranked as a key player in the world league of Ultimate Sports Cities, and having scooped the top award for its sports event marketing, Glasgow is the perfect host city for the new format, newly-named World Open.

“Glasgow City Marketing Bureau is proud to continue its support of the event, which is set to bring around 4,000 fans to the SECC, as well as around £335,000 to Scotland’s economy and almost £1million worth of TV exposure.”

The qualifying phase will run from August 21 to 24 at the World Snooker Academy in Sheffield. The competitions run by Rileys and other clubs will be completed by July 31 – details on how to enter will be available soon at www.worldsnooker.com

Re: Tickect for World Open 2010 already on sale

Postby SnookerFan

I wonder how many tickets we'll see getting sold for this. A couple of the events in Scotland didn't sell too well.

Saying that, it's a good time to start selling snooker tickets, as the memory of watching live snooker is fresh in people's minds, and the fact that we're going to have to wait months to see any more pique people's interest enough when seeing the headline "Snooker Tickets already on sale". I think Barry Hearn's got that one right. The earlier the tickets for these events go on sale the better, in my eyes.

However, I think I'll sit this one out though. I considered going to Scotland last year to watch The Grand Prix, particularly as it was on on my birthday, but I decided it was a bit far to go from London to watch snooker. Especially when the matches are so short. If we can only guarantee three frames in every match, I can't see that its' worth travelling hours across the country.

Postby Monique

I don't think it works as a "per match" ticketing. I had a look at the SECC website and it seems you book for a full afternoon or a full evening. So probably you'll see more than one match. Which matches is of course an unknown as the whole event will be full random draw.

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:I don't think it works as a "per match" ticketing. I had a look at the SECC website and it seems you book for a full afternoon or a full evening. So probably you'll see more than one match. Which matches is of course an unknown as the whole event will be full random draw.

Well, yeah, it'd have to be a roll on roll off basis, otherwise nobody would buy tickets at all. At the UK Championships or the Welsh Open you buy a ticket for afternoon matches, evening matches or get an all day ticket. Even so, I'd prefer to watch this one on the television, I think. However, for the people that live close to the venue, it may provide a good seller. I was just curious as to see how well one of Barry Hearn's new ideas sold out, seeing at it was the first big change to a tournament he's overseen.

Postby Rocket_ron

Monique wrote:I don't think it works as a "per match" ticketing. I had a look at the SECC website and it seems you book for a full afternoon or a full evening. So probably you'll see more than one match. Which matches is of course an unknown as the whole event will be full random draw.

shame that bit

Postby Wildey

rocket_ron wrote:

shame that bit

WHY ?

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:

shame that bit

WHY ?

because its nice to know who your gonna be watching

Postby Wildey

i could ask why again lol

but dont you think a random draw makes it exciting that you don't know who's playing.

Postby Casey

I don't think it works as a "per match" ticketing. I had a look at the SECC website and it seems you book for a full afternoon or a full evening.

Well that makes it better for the audience imo. You would imaigne You would get to see 3 matches so 6 players. I might have a look at this, fly over go to a Celtic game and snooker. :)

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:i could ask why again lol

but dont you think a random draw makes it exciting that you don't know who's playing.

I've always been a fan of the random draw aspect, I think for a televisual aspect it makes it more exciting. Especially as you could conceivably get matches featuring top-players right from the start. However, it must be a nightmare from a ticket selling stand-point. If you don't know whether you'd get a Ronnie vs Higgins match or Fergal O'Brien vs Dave Harold, it might dissuade early ticket sales. Which is why, presumably, the first round of the Grand Prix last year was still a top-16 player vs a random qualifier, as people would be buying tickets for a top-16 player vs random qualifier anyway.

Postby Wildey

yes that would be a downside in say the masters with a 1 table set up but in events like these with multi tables surely theres matches to suit everyone and players to suit everyone.

Postby Casey

wildJONESEYE wrote:yes that would be a downside in say the masters with a 1 table set up but in events like these with multi tables surely theres matches to suit everyone and players to suit everyone.

Its Going to be single table :)

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:yes that would be a downside in say the masters with a 1 table set up but in events like these with multi tables surely theres matches to suit everyone and players to suit everyone.

is it ?

but then again its roll on roll off someone you like will come along soon ;)

Postby Casey

wildJONESEYE wrote:
case_master wrote:

is it ?

but then again its roll on roll off someone you like will come along soon ;)

Yep its still a week long so it has to be one table. For the first time in a ranking event, all matches will be televised

Postby Roland

Yep, this is exactly as proposed a while ago and I'm 100% behind it. The Grand Prix was never a great event and for the first time I'm really looking forward to it. Glasgow is too far for me though so I'll be watching it on tv, hopefully in HD.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Yep, this is exactly as proposed a while ago and I'm 100% behind it. The Grand Prix was never a great event and for the first time I'm really looking forward to it. Glasgow is too far for me though so I'll be watching it on tv, hopefully in HD.

The Grand Prix back in the day was a Great Event sponsored by Rothmans at the Hexagon Reading then it lost it way by moving it about and generally treating it as rubbish basically and i think same thing has happened to the UK Lets hope something is done to pull that back from the Brink.

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Sonny wrote:Yep, this is exactly as proposed a while ago and I'm 100% behind it. The Grand Prix was never a great event and for the first time I'm really looking forward to it. Glasgow is too far for me though so I'll be watching it on tv, hopefully in HD.

The Grand Prix back in the day was a Great Event sponsored by Rothmans at the Hexagon Reading then it lost it way by moving it about and generally treating it as poo basically and i think same thing has happened to the UK Lets hope something is done to pull that back from the Brink.

i agree with wild on this, moving it about to different places is wrong. the uk in my mind was home at barbican center york

Postby SnookerFan

The random draw is a good idea. And the inclusion of amateurs is an interesting idea, even if you again wonder how this works in a ranking event.

The one thing that really bothers me about the event, is the short nature of the matches. I know I probably sound like a broken record, but how can you have a ranking event with a best of nine final? It boggles the mind. Best of nines are fine for first rounds. But these short matches just make me think; "Exhibition tournament", not "Exciting new idea for a ranker."

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:

The random draw is a good idea. And the inclusion of amateurs is an interesting idea, even if you again wonder how this works in a ranking event.

The one thing that really bothers me about the event, is the short nature of the matches. I know I probably sound like a broken record, but how can you have a ranking event with a best of nine final? It boggles the mind. Best of nines are fine for first rounds. But these short matches just make me think; "Exhibition tournament", not "Exciting new idea for a ranker."

i think your right on that .

after this tournament Rory Mclead or Mark Davis could be a ranking event winner equal with Selby on Ranking tournaments won.

best of 5s will create a lot of shock results and possibly a shock winner that in a conventional tournament would never happen.

Postby Wildey

i can just hear the shouts of it doesn't count if Hendry wins it to go to 37 in Ranking Tournaments won.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:i can just hear the shouts of it doesn't count if Hendry wins it to go to 37 in Ranking Tournaments won.

If Ronnie wins it, the commentators will be creaming themselves about what a genius he is.

Postby Wildey

can you imagine Michael Holt a World Open Champion and Ali Carter only Welsh Open Champ <doh>

god this is serious we could have a total fluke winner calling themselves a World Open Champion

Postby Rocket_ron

SnookerFan wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:i can just hear the shouts of it doesn't count if Hendry wins it to go to 37 in Ranking Tournaments won.

If Ronnie wins it, the commentators will be creaming themselves about what a genius he is.

<laugh>

Postby Wildey

Masters Qualifieng Best of 7s,Best of 9s and Best of 11s

WORLD Open Best of 5s and Best of 9s Final

OMG im hating this idea more i think about it.

Postby Roland

Calm down chaps, the whole point is there will be many more events so the fact they are best of 5's would be only be concerning if the number of events stayed the same as last season. We happen to be in a position where the three tournaments announced so far are short format (Grand Prix/World Open, Sky Sports thing, Berlin thing) but this will hopefully pale into insignificance once there are a further 15 or more events announced, and the big one will be when there is an upgrade or a new longer format even announced.

Let's give Barry a chance :santa:

Postby SnookerFan

Whilst we are fault finding, did he have to call the The World Open? Seriously, it's the worst title for a tournament I've ever heard. They'll be having the Planet Earth Trophy next.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 17 Aug 2010, edited 1 time in total.