Post a reply

Why no Knighthood for Steve Davis

Postby footygirl

OK - this is a joke too far

I read in the tabloids that Simon Cowell is being lined up for a Knighthood

Right I know the guy is filthy rich - but would someone like to tell me what he has done to deserve such an honour- has he won 81 professional titles- Er no

Has he won six world titles - Er no

So what on earth is he getting it for - services to insulting people on X Factor and BGT.

It is a complete joke when you consider the achievements of Steve Davis - Cowell's pale into insignificance. What does Steve have to do to be given a Knighthood

It is ridiculous and insulting to a sporting legend.

Right rant over - feel free to comment

Re: Why no Knighthood for Steve Davis

Postby Bourne

Simon Cowell is an absolute legend and deserves not only a knighthood, but also Presidency of the world :bowdown:

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:Simon Cowell is an absolute legend and deserves not only a knighthood, but also Presidency of the world :bowdown:

Hardly. <doh>

To be honest, I don't think you should get knighthoods for such things as services to sport, or services to music. Not when there are people that give their lives to protect this country, or work hard to develop medicines etc... But, on saying that, seeing as they do give knighthoods for services to sport, it seems amazing they've overlooked Steve.

Postby Wildey

NedB-H wrote:Sir Hendo?

i think Hendry will see being a sir as being over the hill and would decline it lol

but seriously there are so many people getting knighthoods these days that do not deserve it more than Steve but snooker being snooker its being ignored in favor of so called cooler people but having said that plenty have been recognized.

Joe Davis OBE
Steve Davis OBE

Fred Davis MBE
Ray Reardon MBE
Stephen Hendry MBE
Jimmy White MBE
John Parrott MBE
MarK Williams MBE
John Higgins MBE

I Just can never see a snooker player getting a Knighthood.

Postby Wildey

just a quick thought here do we know if David Cameron is a snooker fan or not ?

Postby footygirl

wildJONESEYE wrote:just a quick thought here do we know if David Cameron is a snooker fan or not ?

I think you'd have more luck with Nick Clegg - afetr he showed his mug at the Crucible - all in the name of publicity for himself :roll:

Postby Wildey

footygirl wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:just a quick thought here do we know if David Cameron is a snooker fan or not ?

I think you'd have more luck with Nick Clegg - afetr he showed his mug at the Crucible - all in the name of publicity for himself :roll:

well hes deputy if all he gets out of it is "sir Sreve Davis" being hung in parliament would be worth it ;)

Postby footygirl

wildJONESEYE wrote:
footygirl wrote:

well hes deputy if all he gets out of it is "sir Sreve Davis" being hung in parliament would be worth it ;)

If Steve isn't knighted in the next honours list there may very well be a lynching - actually we can do something about it- email Downing Street and demand a Knighthood for Davis. It is disgusting that he has been overlooked agin

Postby footygirl

Bourne wrote:Clegg is MP in Sheffield, so it's hardly a surprise he was around at that time ...

I take your point - but I don't recall him attending last year - presumably because there wan't a General Election on :roll:

Postby Wildey

rocket_ron wrote:ronnie o'sullivan mbe? overdue

dont think Ronnie will ever get 1 suerly he would have by now if hes gonna get 1.

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:

dont think Ronnie will ever get 1 suerly he would have by now if hes gonna get 1.

shame as he has done more than mark williams

Postby Templeton Peck

Snooker always gets short shrift when it comes to honours because basically it's a working class game - if the players all went to public school like in equestrian then Davis and Hendry would have knighthoods in the bag now. The only players with real honours are Joe and Steve Davis with their OBEs — MBEs are basically a kick in the nuts! Personally I don't think the establishment will ever be able to bring themselves to award a snooker player a knighthood, even though the likes of Davis and Hendry have achieved more than most people who have got them.

Postby SnookerFan

It is silly though. I mean, Simon Cowell getting a knighthood? What next? Davina McCall is made a dame?

I think it is based on things other then success.

Postby N_Castle07

No way IMO he has showed too much disrespect and has been too controversial in the game.

Steve Davis however I have asked this question many times. It is way overdue and I think it would be good for the game if he does get a knighthood and I do believe it is more a question of when not if. Surly.

Postby Wildey

Templeton Peck wrote:Cheryl Cole should be made a dame too for services to 14 year old boys everywhere!

and 39 year olds aswell :evilgrin: :john: <laugh>

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:I don’t see what the big deal is. He has already been honoured twice by the Queen.

i dont think its a case of should steve get it its a case look at the people that does get it for less.

sir Clive Woodward WTF

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
case_master wrote:I don’t see what the big deal is. He has already been honoured twice by the Queen.

i dont think its a case of should steve get it its a case look at the people that does get it for less.

sir Clive Woodward WTF

He did get that for helping England win the world cup though. In a sport we'd traditionally done pretty poor against the big three Southern hemisphere nations at. And, don't forget, that would've been the culmination of several years work, not just as simple as "winning one tournament."

Though, Steve won world titles and UK titles aplenty. And has done so much to promote the game. There's no doubt, that is an award is given to sportsmen, it should be awarded to Steve.

Postby Wildey

yes clive got that thank to the boot of johnny Wilkinson and others not off his own bat...

Audley Harrinson got a MBE For winning 1 Olympic gold come on for christ sakes Whats going on here.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:yes clive got that thank to the boot of johnny Wilkinson and others not off his own bat...

Audley Harrinson got a MBE For winning 1 Olympic gold come on for christ sakes Whats going on here.

Yeah, giving Auldey an MBE was a bit extreme, especially considering his professional career has been so ludicrous. I think Clive Woodward is a tad more deserving, and saying the England team won a tournament based on one kick in a close game against Australia is a little extreme, considering they'd been unbeatable by anybody in the year before that, and Clive Woodward had some part to play in that.

But I don't think anybody is disagreeing with your point that they give knighthoods for Micky Mouse reasons these days, and Steve Davis is more deserving then some of the no-hopers that have got it.

Postby Wildey

all ive said with Clive Woodword hes won 1 World Championship and had a limited time at the top sort of Rugby version of Joe Johnson if you like and hes been knighted for it.

yes it was a great achievement but so was Joe Johnson winning in 1986.

Steve Davis is deserving or Steve Redgrave was deserving of it for the consistancy of winning and being a success over a long period of time.