Post a reply

Shanghai Masters Wild Card and Last 32 !!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Monday 19th of September - Sunday 25th of September at the Shanghai Grand Stage, China

its the 10th Staging of the Shanghai Masters and the Shanghai Grand Stage has hosted the event since thee beginning.

Dominic Dale was inaugural winner in 2007 securing his second ranking title beating his compatriot Ryan Day 10-6 from 6-2 down winning 8 frames on the trot.

Since then nobody has won the tournament twice with Ronnie O'Sullivan and Judd Trump the only two players to play in 2 finals Ronnie O'Sullivan champion in 2009 and Judd Trump twice Runner up (2012, 2015).

This year both O'Sullivan and Trump is in the field with Ronnie only having played the event in 4 of the 9 years having withdrawn in 2007 and as defending champion in 2010 and not entered in 3 of the last 4 years including last year.

Defending the title will be Kyren Wilson but a potential last 16 with 5 times World Champion Ronnie O'Sullivan a massive hurdle if hes to successfuly defend the title.

Who will reach the last 16 and keep their hopes alive?

DRAW

Wild Card Round

Michael Holt v Xu Si
Liang Wenbo v Hu Hao
Anthony McGill v Cheen Zifan
Stephen Maguire v To be decied
-------------------------------------------
Kurt Maflin v Guan Zhen
Ryan Day v Ma Bing
Stuaart Carrington v Niu Zhuang
Martin Gould v Yuan Sijun

Last 32

Kyren Wilson v Michael Holt/Xu Si
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Hu Hao/Liang Wenbo
Ding Junhui v Scott Donaldson
Mark Allen v Anthony McGill/Chen Zifan
Judd Trump v Ben Woollaston
Ricky Walden v Michael White
Barry Hawkins v Robert Milkins
Shaun Murphy v Stephen Maguire/wildcard
-------------------------------------------
Stuart Bingham v Jamie Jones
Marco Fu v Dave Gilbert
Allister Carter v Kurt Maflin/Guan Zhen
John Higgins v Matthew Selt
Neil Robertson v Ryan Day/Ma Bing
Mark Williams v Mei Xiwen
Joe Perry v Stuart Carrington/Niu Zhuang
Mark Selby v Martin Gould/Yuan Sijun

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Shanghai Masters Wild Card and Last 32 !!!

Postby TheSaviour

Two classics already on the cards. 32.

The Rocket vs Wenbo
and
Murphy vs Maguire

It doesn´t get much better than that. I am not suggersting any one those 4 players would be better, more educative or entertaining than Steve Davis or Stephen Hendry was. But that must be understood. That it doesn´t really get better any better than that. Past or present. Wenbo is a one hell of a match-player and his overall-game throws a great contrast when comparing him to Ronnie´s style. Murphy vs Maguire would be a similar classic. With a two stunning player, who neither of them still have get the results or an attention their abilities and temperaments would deserve. So it is still a very much up to them to make it possible happen.

But my advice to follow the tournament still remains the very much same; not make any notes during the route. Just enjoy it, and try to memorize the most importantes....

Postby Andre147

PoolBoy wrote:Wenbo and Maguire both have tricky wildcards to win through first!
With 8 of those 'preliminary' games, I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of the seeds missing out!

I haven't heard of Wenbo's opponent, so haven't a clue if he's a tricky opponent or not. But often upsets happen in these wildcard rounds, that should have long been abolished in my view. They serve no purpose whatsoever nowadays, especially in China.

If he does get through, Ronnie's draw will be a tough one, especially considering it's his first competitive match of the season.

Postby Andre147

In the 4 years he entered, Ronnie has a mixed record in this event. He either reaches the Final and/or wins or he loses early (last 16 and last 32).

It's good that he's entering though, the Chinese always give him huge support and the more top players enter these events, the better.

I would watch it regardless, as I always do. It's that time of the year when Summer is coming to an end and we can focus properly on the Snooker! <cool>

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:In the 4 years he entered, Ronnie has a mixed record in this event. He either reaches the Final and/or wins or he loses early (last 16 and last 32).

It's good that he's entering though, the Chinese always give him huge support and the more top players enter these events, the better.

I would watch it regardless, as I always do. It's that time of the year when Summer is coming to an end and we can focus properly on the Snooker! <cool>

Some of us were already watching the World Open when it was on. :wave:

Postby PoolBoy

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:In the 4 years he entered, Ronnie has a mixed record in this event. He either reaches the Final and/or wins or he loses early (last 16 and last 32).

I too am puzzled! 4 rankers have already been keenly contested...
But, I forgot - the snooker season doesn't start until Ronnie plays!

Postby Andre147

PoolBoy wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Oh FFS <doh> Who said I didn't watch the other rankers? I did, in fact, just for your information, I was present at the arena for the Paul Hunter Classic to watch it Live.

But yeah, nobody can have Ronnie O'Sullivan as their favourite player because then they aren't the true fans of Snooker :wave:

Postby Wildey

PoolBoy wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

be fair Andre did not say he would watch because Ronnie plays its just traditional snooker season starts in September.

Personally i prefer all year round snooker but this year Barry Hearn's bullocks has tested even my love for this sport and my interest has waned because of that ego driven pin end.

Postby Andre147

Someone makes sense at least :hatoff:

For me I don't mind the Snooker season starting in late June but it's with the Summer holidays and all that naturally Snooker isn't on top of my list, but I still watch it, just not like the hardcore way. <ok>

I did enjoy very much being at the Stadhale for the Paul Hunter Classic, for me one of the best venues to play Snooker, and the player's say the same. Anyone who says otherwise probably hasn't been there in the first place. Amazing venue and great tournament, even if not all the best players were there. At the end of the day, the WN1 and World Champ still won it.

Postby hendry_fan

Andre147 wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Oh FFS <doh> Who said I didn't watch the other rankers? I did, in fact, just for your information, I was present at the arena for the Paul Hunter Classic to watch it Live.

But yeah, nobody can have Ronnie O'Sullivan as their favourite player because then they aren't the true fans of Snooker :wave:

<laugh>

As much as i love snooker,i did,nt watch much snooker throughout the summer neither.

The sun verrrrrry rarely shines in Scotland,so when it actually does appear,i like to go out and enjoy it to the fullest,i have to say,that this year,the sun did actually shine quite a bit,more often than in recent summers,so i really made the most of the many wonderful,hot n sunny days Scotland offered this summer. :-D

The summers slowly but surely coming to an end for this year now though,but we have plenty tourneys ahead of us anyway,so i,m really lookin forward to them.

I,ll watch quite a bit of this tourney and it would be tremendous if Ronnie got kicked out in the very first round. ;-) :-D

Postby Andre147

I know you would love that hendry-fan...

But there's a good chance of that happening, Ronnie could very well have Liang Wenbo first round and then defending champ Kyren Wilson in the next... with him being his first tournament of the season, and given it's China.., that woulnd't surprise me at all.

Postby chengdufan

According to Chinese media reports, Xu Yichen, a high school teacher, won a qualifying competition involving over 2000 amateurs from across China. His reward is a chance to play Stephen Maguire in the wildcard round. Good luck to him!

Postby hendry_fan

Andre147 wrote:I know you would love that hendry-fan...

But there's a good chance of that happening, Ronnie could very well have Liang Wenbo first round and then defending champ Kyren Wilson in the next... with him being his first tournament of the season, and given it's China.., that woulnd't surprise me at all.

<laugh>

JEEEEEEEEEZ!,Andre,you,ve gotten just as bad as our bloved MDG,where,s your optimism,Ronnie will spank Liangs bottom,there,s no way he,ll lose in the first round,he might get his own bottom spanked in the 2nd,when he faces Kyren though. :-D

Postby SteveJJ

Lou147 wrote:Can anyone tell me what matches Eurosport are showing tomorrow?

Ricky Walden v Michael White
Marco Fu v David Gilbert
Ding Junhui v Scott Donaldson
John Higgins v Matt Selt