Post a reply

Sky To Televise World Snooker Shoot-Out

Postby Wildey

http://www.worldsnooker.com/news-152922.htm

Sky Sports will televise a World Snooker event for the first time in over six years in the coming season, having signed up for the thrilling new World Snooker Shoot Out.

The tournament will combine exhilarating action with top-draw snooker, with the best 64 players on the planet taking part in a one-frame shoot out with a random draw. There will be a 20 second shot clock, with no time-outs and frames to take a maximum of 12 minutes. The event will run from January 28 to 30, 2011, and will be screened live on Sky – the first World Snooker event to be televised by Sky since 2004.

“It will be snooker at full throttle, testing the players to the limits of what they can do under pressure,” said World Snooker Chairman Barry Hearn.

“They will have to make quick decisions and show their natural ability and plenty of bottle – with the chance to double their money for every game they win. The champion will walk off with £32,000, which is not bad for a long weekend. There will be a very lively atmosphere so it might not be one for the purists, but we want to appeal to new and younger audiences and this is the perfect format to trial.

“I’m delighted to bring Sky on board for this one because I have every confidence that under producer Rory Hopkins’ production team, the coverage will be both original and innovative. The format fits perfectly for Sky, with non-stop breathtaking action which will keep viewers and the live audience on the edge of their seats. I’m in discussion with several sponsors and I fully believe that this event will be a massive success.

“This is among the most exciting ideas I’ve had since coming back into snooker and I can’t wait to see it realised. It’s one of a variety of new events on the calendar which will help to generate a new and wonderful era for snooker.”

The tournament is set to feature star names such as Rocket Ronnie O’Sullivan – who is sure to be favourite with his rapid attacking style – Stephen Hendry, Mark Selby, Ding Junhui and Betfred.com World Champion Neil Robertson.

Further details, including the venue and how to buy tickets for this sensational snooker show, will be released shortly.

Re: Sky To Televise World Snooker Shoot-Out

Postby Roland

Right, now the mickey mouse event is in the bag, it's time for a proper event covered by Sky. Over to you Barry.

Postby Wildey

i think the best thing for snooker is Hand over the UK to sky and extend it so we dont get 4 matches played with 2 in bloody qualification condition.

Postby Bourne

Sonny wrote:Right, now the mickey mouse event is in the bag, it's time for a proper event covered by Sky. Over to you Barry.

Pretty much my exact reaction when reading it. I don't mind this sort of event if it's outweighed by 3 new, serious tournaments on the calendar, my problem would be if this tournament became the norm.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Sonny wrote:Right, now the mickey mouse event is in the bag, it's time for a proper event covered by Sky. Over to you Barry.

Pretty much my exact reaction when reading it. I don't mind this sort of event if it's outweighed by 3 new, serious tournaments on the calendar, my problem would be if this tournament became the norm.

it wont be the norm the novelty of the shot clock has worn off now its fast becoming mondane drivel its the same with this 2 or 3 years max it will go down the same way.

Real snooker has staying power the excitement comes from the drama that unfolds naturally and not from contrived situations that shot clocks and this is.

Postby Casey

What happens when the 12 mins are up and the frame is still alive? Player with most points wins?

Winning the event would hardly go on the top players CV but the 32k will certainly help the cause. I imagine the top 16 will get an invite with several wildcards after that?

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:What happens when the 12 mins are up and the frame is still alive? Player with most points wins?

Winning the event would hardly go on the top players CV but the 32k will certainly help the cause. I imagine the top 16 will get an invite with several wildcards after that?

well with 64 players taking part id imagine possibly top 32 then the best 32 out of the rest i guess.

Postby N_Castle07

Am I the only one excited about this? I can’t wait for this event I think it will be jam packed with drama with it being a one frame shoot out. Should be a excellent weekend for Snooker gambling and drinking. Bring it on.

Postby SnookerFan

This is all very nice, but to quote wild, I do get the feeling they are showing us a scarecrow and presenting it as if it were Marilyn Monroe. Who cares whether Sky shows a piss-poor tournament like this? A pot black style tournament I can stand, and will watch shot clock snooker occasionally, even if I wouldn't want to watch it every week in the PL. But what's with this dumb-arse 12-minutes and it's over nonsense? What if somebody is half way through a century break, or trying to get out of a difficult snooker and the officials come in and go; "Sorry, lads it's over." It just seems Hearn has come up with something he finds exciting, and convinced Sky of it with his “It will be snooker at full throttle, testing the players to the limits of what they can do under pressure,” line.

Personally, I wouldn't want ranking events on Sky Sports, as I don't have it. But would at least conceed to watching it round somebody's house who did have Sky if they created extra ranking events especially for Sky. (And leaving the BBC/Eurosport ones as they are.) More ranking events is good, even if it's not on a channel convenient for all.

This tosh is nowhere near as interesting or exciting an idea as a ranking event, no matter what Hearn says. And I see no sense in getting excited because it's on Sky. Until we start seeing real events and real interest created we can leave the dancing banana icon off the posts.

Postby Casey

N_Castle07 wrote:Am I the only one excited about this? I can’t wait for this event I think it will be jam packed with drama with it being a one frame shoot out. Should be a excellent weekend for Snooker gambling and drinking. Bring it on.

Aye well it will be entertaining for sure. I also expect we will see a different side from some of the players

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:This tosh is nowhere near as interesting or exciting an idea as a ranking event,

i agree with you its not but same could be said of pot black if this is a limited thing ok but its not as exciting as World Ranking and not by a long shots.

People who Remember Ranking Tournaments on Sky would remember how exciting they was they were events on their own great production and i enjoyed them better than the UK or the GP. Ranking Tournaments need to go back on Sky and as i said above id give them the UK.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:This tosh is nowhere near as interesting or exciting an idea as a ranking event,

i agree with you its not but same could be said of pot black if this is a limited thing ok but its not as exciting as World Ranking and not by a long shots.

People who Remember Ranking Tournaments on Sky would remember how exciting they was they were events on their own great production and i enjoyed them better than the UK or the GP. Ranking Tournaments need to go back on Sky and as i said above id give them the UK.

I understand that this is an exhibition event, and not meant to replace real event. So essentially slight rule changes in aren't particularly a big deal. I just feel the 12-minute and it's over, no matter what rule doesn't seem to add anything. Though I could be wrong, I still would feel short changed if something interesting was about to happen, or the frame had got tense, and the players were taken off.

I guess the point is that this is supposed to encourage players trying to pot anything, so it doesn't last 12 minutes. I am prepared to give it a chance, but I can see it not being the most interesting or exciting thing ever. Each to their own, I guess. But like I say, until we see real ranking events added, or at the very least a lot more non-gimmicked snooker events added, I aint going to get too excited.

And talking of gimmicks, does anybody know if "The Grim Reaper" is still appearing in this? <laugh> <doh>

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

"the best 64 players on the planet taking part in a one-frame shoot out with a random draw" Would that not make it the Top 64 players, No?

Also, what happens if a frame is level after 12 minutes? I'm not looking for holes, just wondering. :chin:
Hopefully this will grab peoples imagination.

Postby Wildey

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:"the best 64 players on the planet taking part in a one-frame shoot out with a random draw" Would that not make it the Top 64 players, No?

Also, what happens if a frame is level after 12 minutes? I'm not looking for holes, just wondering. :chin:

i think on principle yes but surely there has to be some scope for you to enter its fun after all and not going to be ranking so why limit it to main tour.

regarding level frame the grim reaper takes out a coin :redneck:

Postby Casey

wildJONESEYE wrote:
JohnFromLondonTown wrote:"the best 64 players on the planet taking part in a one-frame shoot out with a random draw" Would that not make it the Top 64 players, No?

i think on principle yes but surely there has to be some scope for you to enter its fun after all and not going to be ranking so why limit it to main tour.

regarding level frame the grim reaper takes out a coin :redneck:

Wild, do they take out a coin really? Thats unfair to the player in the lead at the time, after 12mins the player with the most points goes through. If its level points then respot the black or see who can clear the colours the quickest :redneck:

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Cheesyman99 wrote:I can't wait for this, gonna be epic....

You're kidding? Epic?

hes 13

Eastenders is a feature length film at that age <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Cheesyman99 wrote:I can't wait for this, gonna be epic....

You're kidding? Epic?

hes 13

Eastenders is a feature length film at that age <laugh>

Get into General Snooker Discussion and vote in my poll.... I want to know people's opinion.

Postby Sickpotter

N_Castle07 wrote:Am I the only one excited about this? I can’t wait for this event I think it will be jam packed with drama with it being a one frame shoot out. Should be a excellent weekend for Snooker gambling and drinking. Bring it on.

In short, yes, so far you're the only one excited. ;)

Might be a fine little bit of entertainment but there's no real sustained drama/suspense in the format and you could flip coins for a winner.

Don't get me wrong, I believe it's the right move to try some of these events to help introduce the game to new fans in a simple to understand format. If all goes well this will start to draw bigger audiences to real events having given people a sample of the game in a format they can deal with.

I don't like coin-flip formats but I do appreciate the need for some to help shore up the fan base.

Postby Sickpotter

Maybe the last frame.....if there's anyone I've heard of playing ;-)

I just don't see this format as one that appeals to those who like a real match. Good to attract new viewers but does little for real fans IMO but to each his own.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Im excited and looking forward to this event :excited:

And i think a lot of yous are in denial here when yous claim its a joke event etc. Bet yous all still watch it....

i have no doubt us will watch it but most of us would watch Dave Harold v Fergal O'Brian with a shot having to take a minute so we are hardly the audience they try and attract are we.

i think its fun and im sure ill get in to it and watch it but i dont know how its going to attract a new audience though.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Im excited and looking forward to this event :excited:

And i think a lot of yous are in denial here when yous claim its a joke event etc. Bet yous all still watch it....

i have no doubt us will watch it but most of us would watch Dave Harold v Fergal O'Brian with a shot having to take a minute so we are hardly the audience they try and attract are we.

i think its fun and im sure ill get in to it and watch it but i dont know how its going to attract a new audience though.

I agree actually, I was just saying in General Snooker Discussion, I'll watch it, but can see it being a very low standard of play. I get bored of the Premier League if I watch it every week, so I may feel the same way about this. I will give it a try first though. We're all fans of snooker. Hopefully some of the player's personalities will shine through in an informal setting, but you could do that if it was a straight pot black tournament.

Personally the best I can see this being is on a par with the Davis vs Taylor re-match frame. Players having a laugh, but the snooker will be no better. Hopefully it is as entertaining as Taylor/Davis. I doubt it though.

Postby Monique

The difference with "pot black", at least with the latest editions of "pot black", is that "pot black" was mainly a mundane event where establishment people were drinking champagne while having small talk with top players and, if need be, watched some snooker.
This will target another audience, much more popular and younger.

Postby N_Castle07

sickpotter wrote:

In short, yes, so far you're the only one excited. ;)

Might be a fine little bit of entertainment but there's no real sustained drama/suspense in the format and you could flip coins for a winner.

Don't get me wrong, I believe it's the right move to try some of these events to help introduce the game to new fans in a simple to understand format. If all goes well this will start to draw bigger audiences to real events having given people a sample of the game in a format they can deal with.

I don't like coin-flip formats but I do appreciate the need for some to help shore up the fan base.

On paper it would seem like a coin flip event but players have to play it as one chance snooker. There will be plenty of drama and misses and with the presure IMO i think we will see a top 16 player win this.