Post a reply

Snooker v Darts; Any Poor Relation?

Postby thecueview

Hi everyone!

I hope you have been enjoying the Summer and this sporadic start to the new 2016/2017 snooker season.

My website has had a few tech problems but hopefully these are now being resolved.

I did a feature article a few weeks ago about the comparisons and differences between Snooker and Darts. Part 1 link is below

http://www.thecueview.com/md-s-blog---s ... -1-2-.html

Part 2 will be published later this week.

What are your thoughts people...

Re: Snooker v Darts; Any Poor Relation?

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

One difference between the Snooker and Darts tours is that in darts you have the World Series events. It involves eight top players and eight locals over three days and events have been held in Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland, Tokyo, Shanghai, and Dubai with an event due in Las Vegas next year. During the Welsh Open this year Ronnie mentioned these in an interview and seemed to want something like it in Snooker. I'm not sure if I'd want a load of elite exhibition events but to a certain extent these type of tournaments in Australia, India, Brazil and various other plaes makes more sense than having ranking events there.

Postby SnookerFan

Though I quite like darts as game, I aint much one for all the razzmatazz tha goes along with it. But that's just my personal opinion.

I reckon televised darts should be played in a pub with a massive function room.

Postby PLtheRef

I think an interesting point is this - had it not been for a successful 1977 Embassy World Championship - particularly from a television coverage point of view - would there have been a World Darts Championship or a set of established television events?

Looking at comparisons of the two sports, many of the ideas that the PDC have tried or are in the process of trying have already done by World Snooker. The World Series is similar to the events that Hearn organised for Matchroom players in the 1980s in developing the game in China, Hong Kong etc. - The only initiative that snooker has arguably taken from darts is the Players Championship idea.

To all extent and purposes, Snooker and Darts are natural cousins. Both are sports played by individuals rather than teams and both have a regular circuit of events with some more prestigious than others - Both have a 'regular format' with major events being contested over longer formats. - They have many similarities which make them sports which will be likely to be picked up by those who show an interest in the other.

It's only the environment in which they compete that leaves them cousins from opposite sides of the family.