Post a reply

RONNIE HAS ENTERED TWO CHINESE EVENTS

Postby Dan-cat

TWITTER ATTACK

Ronnie O'Sullivan ‏@ronnieo147
I'll be playing in Shanghai in September and also entering international in Daqing in October. Will be great to see the Chinese fans again

snookerbacker ‏@snookerbacker 1h1 hour ago
Ronnie is entering two Chinese events - Shanghai and International *checks date* #notaprilthefirst

Re: RONNIE HAS ENTERED TWO CHINESE EVENTS

Postby Cheshire Cat

Don't know what SB is being so snarky about really. He makes it sound like ROS is immune from the ranking list or something -- he needs the ranking money just like anyone else does.

He was in the Intl Championship in 2014, lost to Willo, didn't enter in 2015 (couldn't play anyway because he had that injury). Shanghai is a bit of a surprise maybe, but the Intl is one of the biggest events on the calendar. It's enormous in relation to Ranking Money.

Big news for Ronnie fans?

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

snookerbacker ‏@snookerbacker
Ronnie is entering two Chinese events - Shanghai and International *checks date* #notaprilthefirst

More on this development, when I can be bothered to look up whether it's true or not.

Postby eraserhead

Thanks Dan-cat great to get updates straight from the tree! :happy:

I remember he launched a website during the worlds that was in Chinese saying he would enter Shanghai, anyone know if he's entering the Home series?

Postby Dan-cat

Cheshire Cat wrote:Don't know what SB is being so snarky about really. He makes it sound like ROS is immune from the ranking list or something -- he needs the ranking money just like anyone else does.

It's more that he doesn't really like playing in China I think. However he'll make a ton doing a couple of televised exhibitions, pretending to lose at pool, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PgyAbL02ZA

#UpRonniesTree

Postby Dan-cat

The battery operated Dingbot is a good communicator, emitting little squeals of excitement as he shakes his head, smiling as he moves about changing direction as he bumps into objects. He is a fast travelling robot who bumps into walls and obstacles, chatters, turns his head, speeds off in another direction and carries his own floor plan in his arms. He is a funny robot who is slowly learning the meaning of walls. He's dingbot.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-Cat. You're the man. :D

I had one of those toys as a kid. He originally came with a little map that you put in his hand, and when you turned him on he walked a few inches in one direction, paused, and went off in a different direction. (Implying that he was lost and trying to follow map directions.)

The map got lost quite early on, but I kept the robot toy for a long time. I don't remember that he was called Dingbot. I called mine Robo.

Postby SnookerFan

king.kauto wrote:
Robertson - damp squib
Selby - dull as a bucking brush
Williams - Get a shirt that fits
Higgins - parakeet
Ebdon - gives the game a bad name
Ding - no words to describe this robot
Trump - my fav drink is water
bing, milks, all, cart, smurph, gould - making up the numbers

Bloody hell, Kauto. Is there any player you do like?

And according to you, there's two World Champions that are there to 'make up the numbers'. :roll: I disagree that Robertson is dull, or Ding is a robot. His sweary rant about The Crucible and tear fuelled breakdown at The Masters final show he's no robot. Or do you just think somebody is robotic because he doesn't speak the same language as you? <doh> Maybe you should find a new sport to follow, if you hate all of the top players with such a passion.

The only slight agreement I have with your little rant is it also annoys me a bit that the game becomes a bit Ronnie centered, but at the end of the day the fans are allowed to support whoever they like. People don't need our permission to like Ronnie, just because you or I don't. It is however unfortunate that some chavvy Ronnie fans give the good Ronnie fans, like those on this site, a bad name.

Personally, I find it more annoying that the BBC stick their heads up Ronnie backside as often as possible, as you'd think it was in their interest to promote other players to keep viewers after Ronnie retires.

Postby Wildey

Snooker doesent need Ronnie, Snooker would love Ronnie to be part of the future however the same as with Davis and Hendry before him the tournament gets a buzz when they are knocked out its so not expected.

unlike peoples Champions of the Past like Alex Higgins and Jimmy White theres no vulnerability in his game any more he is very efficient at reaching a standard that so many of his matches are actually very dull for neutrals.

TV Channels would put Ronnie on playing anyone even me ffs instead of a proper match.....i think that's bad for snooker.

Postby eraserhead

The Shanghai masters last year was great. Kyren Wilson an underdog coming through to beat a strong group of players to reach a final ending in decider. Snooker with or without Ronnie snooker is exciting but making any tournament Ronnie enters about him is boring. (negative or positive attention)

Saying that any Ronnie actually entering a tournament is news these days, can't help that.

Postby LC

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:He's coming to Ireland, as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/37104913

all it is a Snooker player has entered a bucking tournament. that what snooker players of any note do.

Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill

The most famous snooker player of all time, making anything he does more noteworthy than the average player, same as federer in tennis woods in golf Tyson in boxing

Postby Wildey

LC wrote:
Wildey wrote:

all it is a Snooker player has entered a bucking tournament. that what snooker players of any note do.

The most famous snooker player of all time, making anything he does more noteworthy than the average player, same as federer in tennis woods in golf Tyson in boxing

and very bucking boring for sensible people

Postby LC

Wildey wrote:
LC wrote:
Wildey wrote:

It's keeping snooker in the news, been quiet for the last few months I suppose

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:

I'm inclined to agree.

I don't make an announcement that I am coming into work every day, do I? Why should a snooker player announce that he is playing snooker?

By the way Man U are playing Southampton tomorrow. Best make sure they announce it, in case people don't expect them to actually be playing football. <ok>

Postby PoolBoy

LC wrote:
Wildey wrote:
LC wrote:
Wildey wrote:

It's keeping snooker in the news, been quiet for the last few months I suppose

Quiet?!
Okay - for Ronnie fans and non-snooker fans (almost always the same thing) - Robbo added yet another ranking win, Ali Carter was top-dog in a tournament for the first time since his recovery and Ants McGill captured his first event and a break-through into the top 18 of the rankings.
Snooker didn't end when Ronnie got put-out at the Crucible, and it doesn't begin again when he picks up his cue in Shanghai.
Oh yeah, snooker 'only happens' when O'Sullivan enters a tournament. Ronnie fan. Not snooker fan.

Postby QSM

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:

I'm inclined to agree.

I don't make an announcement that I am coming into work every day, do I? Why should a snooker player announce that he is playing snooker?

By the way Man U are playing Southampton tomorrow. Best make sure they announce it, in case people don't expect them to actually be playing football. <ok>

ROS didnt announce anything. He just entered, and then media chose to announce.

Postby Andre147

QSM wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:

I'm inclined to agree.

Precisely.

People are making this big news when in fact Ronnie didnt announce anything.

And Poolboy, as you are well aware on this Forun, there are Ronnie fans out there like me who are Snooker fans first and foremost, their favourite player happens to be a certain Ronnie O'Sullivan.

I'm sure you meant most of them, not all.

And its good he's playing more events, better chance of adding to his rankers tally.

Postby Wildey

yea sod all to do with Ronnie but all this crap from the media or WS for announcing it to the media is not helpful for the sport to grow post Ronnie because i can promise you that day will come soon.

Snooker should be doing all they can to promote the future not harping on about the past

Postby PoolBoy

Andre147 wrote:
QSM wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:

I'm inclined to agree.

Precisely.

People are making this big news when in fact Ronnie didnt announce anything.

And Poolboy, as you are well aware on this Forun, there are Ronnie fans out there like me who are Snooker fans first and foremost, their favourite player happens to be a certain Ronnie O'Sullivan.

I'm sure you meant most of them, not all.

And its good he's playing more events, better chance of adding to his rankers tally.

Ronnie announced it on Twitter!

Postby SnookerFan

QSM wrote:

Fair point. Though, as Poolboy said Ronnie did announce it on Twitter.

Ronnie O'Sullivan ‏@ronnieo147
I'll be playing in Shanghai in September and also entering international in Daqing in October. Will be great to see the Chinese fans again

But Twitter is Twitter, people aren't obliged to follow Ronnie, and he's allowed to mention what tournaments he's in, if he think it'll be of interest to him.

It's really the media that blows things out of proportion, rather than Ronnie.

All a bit unneccessary, at the end of the day. Much ado about nothing.

Postby Wildey

Dan-cat wrote:It's PR 101. Ronnie doesn't play much, so when he does it's news, and it puts snooker in the headlines of the sports websites, potentially boosting viewing figures/bums on seats.

missing the point <doh>

that is not healthy for the sport long term.

if ronnie doesent play we should be boosting the profiles of players that are playing not twiddling about talking about players that dont.

Postby LC

Wildey wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:It's PR 101. Ronnie doesn't play much, so when he does it's news, and it puts snooker in the headlines of the sports websites, potentially boosting viewing figures/bums on seats.

missing the point <doh>

if ronnie doesent play we should be boosting the profiles of players that are playing not twiddling about talking about players that dont.

Ive watched snooker for years and have knowledge of most players, but people who aren't regular fans will only know the highest profile stars and that is ROS, I agree that showcasing other players is for the future benefit for snooker, but the sad fact is nobody else is that interesting

Postby Wildey

LC wrote:
Wildey wrote:

missing the point <doh>

Ive watched snooker for years and have knowledge of most players, but people who aren't regular fans will only know the highest profile stars and that is ROS, I agree that showcasing other players is for the future benefit for snooker, but the sad fact is nobody else is that interesting

i disagree

i dont find Ronnie that interesting as a personality. with him its all about will he or wont he play which gets tedious by now.

as a player he is fantastic to watch but there are others its just a case of promoting that.

Postby Dan-cat

I think there are some interesting and charismatic players coming through. McGill, Kyren, Woollaston, Luca, Teppy, Maflin. Obviously charisma is subjective, these are just the ones I find interesting. They have to win repeatedly to make a splash though, and it seems that experience counts for so much at the moment, I just don't see it happening. They have to attack the wall of established players Higgins, Allen, Walden, Trump, Williams, Marco, Barry, Robbo, Selbs, Bingham.

If there was a wunderkind coming through we'd have heard about him by now.

McGill talks about this in this interview here, he's a smart guy:

“I have noticed the age groups recently, they are quite distinct. There are a lot around 45 years old still, then your O’Sullivan, Higgins and Williams just gone past 40. Then there are the Murphy, Robertson, Maguire and Selby group. And now there is myself, Kyren, Michael White, Jack Lisowski, Laim Highfield. In the UK there doesn’t seem to be a flood coming through behind us, unlike China where there are really good teenagers doing damage already. But I view Kyren as a real danger and rival in the future. His all-round game is very strong, his temperament is strong, and he just seems a clever player full of confidence. He is going to take some stopping when on form. Michael White is the same and has also won a ranking tournament. And just a bit younger than us are Oli Lines, who looks a real player, and Luca Brecel. I’m not sure too many other 24/25 year olds you haven’t heard of will now burst through from nowhere. What is exciting looking at some of these guys is that I don’t think I am at my peak yet, so neither are they. At 30, even mid-30s, you have gained lots more experience, you are a better player, but your eyes have still got another good few years. The days of someone coming through and blowing everyone away at 18 and 19 like Higgins and O’Sullivan did are gone, they were special, once every never players.

“Experience plays a big part for us mortals, even the Chinese wonder-kids find it tougher. I am delighted to win one at 25, Kyren has done that, and Michael, and we won’t be at our peak for 5-10 years, so we can challenge for a long time."