Post a reply

The Era TV Missed out.

Postby Wildey

Its a Great Shame that the TV World never got to see the Era of Reardon,Spencer and of course Alex "Hurricane" Higgins in full swing.

there was other Great players during this time People like Eddie Charlton,Cliff Thorburn and the ever Green Fred Davis.

but if there was ever a player that has missed out it has to be Alex Higgins and we missed out on seeing him play at a speed that was said made Jimmy and Ronnie look slow. i dont know im going on what people say.

i don't even think the BBC Has kept tapes of the early pot black TV Programs.

but thanks to the players of this era snooker grew to what it became in the 80s.

Re: The Era TV Missed out.

Postby Wildey

as i said i dont know so it wasn't facts it was on the hear say of other people but what is clear about that jimmy white Q&A is you take it as your bible.

and the biasedness of Jimmy just shines through....

he can play shots Ronnie cant play mmmmmm ? surprising you not taken jimmy to task over that.

Postby Seifer Almasy

Since Jimmy and Alex are best mates, maybe...just maybe, Jimmy might know.

MAYBE....that is....given they play together all the time....

maybe....you know...maybe....

Postby Wildey

Seifer island hatah wrote:Since Jimmy and Alex are best mates, maybe...just maybe, Jimmy might know.

MAYBE....that is....given they play together all the time....

maybe....you know...maybe....

as i said i really dont know not seen much of him play at that time but what you got to take in to consideration also when Alex was starting out as a 18 or 19 year old kid in his amataur days Jimmy White was a 4 year old in London so how could he know lol

Postby Eirebilly

I can only go by what my father told me, he was a massive Patsy Houlihan fan, and he said that Alex Higgins was definately fast around the table. He once said that at an exhibition Alex Higgins knocked in a 140 break in the time it took him to walk to the bar, order a pint and return to the exhibition.

Postby Wildey

eirebilly wrote:I can only go by what my father told me, he was a massive Patsy Houlihan fan, and he said that Alex Higgins was definately fast around the table. He once said that at an exhibition Alex Higgins knocked in a 140 break in the time it took him to walk to the bar, order a pint and return to the exhibition.

by the time we got to see Alex through the medium of TV and now on youtube he had slow down considerably.

ive always thought had Alex had superfine cloths they play on today with undertable heaters just how great a player he would have been.

he was a touch player around the table. he would have loved todays conditions more than someone like spencer who used to punch balls in similar to John Parrott.

Postby Eirebilly

wildJONESEYE wrote:
eirebilly wrote:I can only go by what my father told me, he was a massive Patsy Houlihan fan, and he said that Alex Higgins was definately fast around the table. He once said that at an exhibition Alex Higgins knocked in a 140 break in the time it took him to walk to the bar, order a pint and return to the exhibition.

by the time we got to see Alex through the medium of TV and now on youtube he had slow down considerably.

ive always thought had Alex had superfine cloths they play on today with undertable heaters just how great a player he would have been.

he was a touch player around the table. he would have loved todays conditions more than someone like spencer who used to punch balls in similar to John Parrott.

I always feel that a player with a 20 second shot time on the old cloths is equivelant to a 16-17 second shot time on todays cloths as the positioning is much easier and would require less thought for a natural player such as Alex Higgins. Alex Higgins was a very quick player around the table.