Post a reply

Re: Snooker Shoot Out a Ranking Event!!!

Postby PoolBoy

Utter madness! A shot-clock tournament played over 3 days, with 10 minute frames!
7 frames to win the trophy and a best-of-1 final! This isn't snooker - let alone a Ranking Event.

Re: New Ranker

Postby Dan-cat

'The Shoot Out has quickly become established as one of the most thrilling events on the calendar, much loved by fans.'

er... shall we do a quick count on here of those that love it?

Postby Dan-cat

I can see some merit in this idea. It might enable a lower ranked player to make a leap and get in the top 16 - new faces always good. Yeah I know... mostly I think it's nonsense.

In recent years layers have made a leap in confidence after winning this. Until Robin Hull....

Postby SnookerFan

It doesn't matter how much each individual person likes it, it's just not real snooker and it shouldn't carry ranking points.

I quite like 3-cushion billiards, but I don't think they should make a 3-cushion tournamnt on the tour and add ranking points.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:It doesn't matter how much each individual person likes it, it's just not real snooker and it shouldn't carry ranking points.

I quite like 3-cushion billiards, but I don't think they should make a 3-cushion tournamnt on the tour and add ranking points.

Me too! that sh*t is dope! hehe :)

Postby PoolBoy

Dan-cat wrote:I can see some merit in this idea. It might enable a lower ranked player to make a leap and get in the top 16 - new faces always good. Yeah I know... mostly I think it's nonsense.

In recent years layers have made a leap in confidence after winning this. Until Robin Hull....

Robin Hull as a ranking event winner - now, I like that!

Postby Sickpotter

<doh>

Only a moron would support making this a ranking event, someone needs a good slap.

Make a shot clock tour if you like and establish a ranking system there, stay away from real snooker. :no:

Postby pasunegirafe

The Snooker Shootout, which is basically an exhibition event, is now a ranking event? What a dumb decision. Every year some of the top players don't enter the event. Are they doing this to ensure better participation from the top players because they treat this event as a joke (as they should)?

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I wonder what difference it would make if the last two events were counted on the current rankings.

Postby Wildey

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I wonder what difference it would make if the last two events were counted on the current rankings.

Kyren Wilson would not be in the top 16

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul wrote:Will these players slamming the decision boycott the event though? I doubt it

I Have no doubt Robertson will hes never liked it he has only played in it once in 2011.

i will be very disappointed in him if he plays this year and he would make himself look a right tit if he played.

i have confidence that top players will give it a miss on principle they have the confidence in their ability to win real events.

Postby Andy Spark

We have a one frame ranking event. rofl

Postby PLtheRef

I must admit that given we have a ranking tournament which is in essence a double reward in the Grand Prix that there is not much that World Snooker can do to surprise us - but here we are.

The problem is that for many who participate - along with the crowd it's seen as one of those fun events which can be enjoyed over the three (or as I presume now we've got 128 competing) - five days. - It's an event which has actively encouraged crowd participation in - and though with a good prize pot for an hour's or in this case seventy minutes work - the fact there was no ranking pressure means that players could try and entertain a bit more - the idea behind the event was to entertain.

Now ranking points are coming into the fray you're going to see a lot of the spirit of the event drain out of it. - Caution will become more and more prevalence with the aim being not to lose. You get 15-20 in front then you're going to be trying to cling on. - No one's going to be adventurous knowing they could be losing 1,000 2,000 may be more ranking points with a mistake. Look at the 2010 World Open - players were scared of making a mistake in a best of five frame match - imagine how there'll react to a ten minute contest.

Also - how much interaction from the crowd is a player going to welcome - there's been the odd grumble about a badly timed comment putting a player off in the current format - you magnify that issue when such a comment costs players ranking points.

I'm not opposed to having a proper tournament with some sort of clock involved - perhaps 1 1/2 hours play moving on to 2 and 3 hours with two 2 hour sessions for the final - similar how to billiards has a timed format - or possibly having a target e.g. first to 500 points but surely deciding a ranking event over what is essentially a random set of results is dangerous - it could well be a one season idea - we'll have to wait and see.

One thing I do think we'l see though - I reckon the record for the fewest points in a ranking event match could well go.

Postby Andre147

pasunegirafe wrote:The Snooker Shootout, which is basically an exhibition event, is now a ranking event? What a dumb decision. Every year some of the top players don't enter the event. Are they doing this to ensure better participation from the top players because they treat this event as a joke (as they should)?

Yeah, like Wild said, Robbo is amongts those, having only played in it in 2011.

Such a silly decision, on par with the reduction in frames format of the UK Champs, probably even worst than that.

I can't say I don't like the Shoot-Out, I think it's a good event purely for exhibition purposes, not a bucking ranking event FFS.

Couldn't believe it when I read this. <doh>

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
pasunegirafe wrote:The Snooker Shootout, which is basically an exhibition event, is now a ranking event? What a dumb decision. Every year some of the top players don't enter the event. Are they doing this to ensure better participation from the top players because they treat this event as a joke (as they should)?

Yeah, like Wild said, Robbo is amongts those, having only played in it in 2011.

Such a silly decision, on par with the reduction in frames format of the UK Champs, probably even worst than that.

I can't say I don't like the Shoot-Out, I think it's a good event purely for exhibition purposes, not a bucking ranking event FFS.

Couldn't believe it when I read this. <doh>

i had to look at the date it really does come under the April 1st realms this one.

Barry Hearn has really managed to make a complete hammer of himself with this one.

The Egotistical Dope even defends it against hostility from Fans and Players alike the sad thing is when he sees full houses from Yobs and Drunks he thinks its a success but thoes hammers would go anywhere for a drink they aren't Snooker Fans.

Postby Andre147

Robbo on Twitter:

"The winner of the shootout would receive more ranking points than the quarter-finalist of The World Championship. Good night :-) "

I think that about sums it up don't it.... <doh>

Postby Sickpotter

I wonder if they're looking to make all events ranking events.......feasible as long as the points allotted for the event reflects its value. ie points allotted to the SS....400 to split between top 8 places ;-)